FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

John Rankin

Ivy League

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Express running a story that Partick, Hamilton and the Pars want him on loan, but Brewster has knocked them back and is waiting till January to let him go so that he can make back some of that ?65,000, with St Mirren and Falkrik rumoured to be intersted

P&J today runs with the Rankin Story and Brew says he still features in his plans but he'll just have to bide his time. The under 21 rule is part of the problem, along with the fact that he has 10 midfielders to chose from.

• 2 weeks later...

Rankin could be  short for RankBajin.

RankBajin was a Wild West comic strip character with a shaggy hairstyle like a lion.The comic strip appeared either in the Beano, the Dandy, the Boys Own or the local rag and  was eagerly sought-after by me in my early teens. In my late teens I played it cool  playing down the eager bit, but took many a surreptitious look to ensure that he was still around.

His sidekick was Shuggy who was a wizened grizzled veteran of many adventures, smoked a long Indian pipe (I'm embellishing here for effect), carried a Bowie knife in his tatty buckskins and ran a lot after his hoss died of exhaustion and chronic inflammation of his spur scars.

Rank also  had a wispy moustache and a wrap around beard, a large ragged stetson and a brace of pistols strapped to his withers which he was wont to draw frequently. When the sheriff ordered him to put his hands up he shouted "I won't, I won't" and then either galloped off  or shot it out . His horse was wide-eyed and equally scruffy and had feet like an elephant with decimated legs and ran very fast. Tall Cacti and mesas, and lots of sand often featured in the scenario.

RankBajin always appeared in black and was, appropriately, evil-looking

up to no good all the time and always had an ace up his sleeves when the posse was after him.

I hope and pray that some poster on  here can confirm my memories of this fella because if not, then I am well and truly over the hill. I am sure that Jock Watt will remember him fondly. But I hope he doesn't shout at me since I am not yet completely deaf and I really do have the need to feel needed and wanted these days. :crazy07:

But Rank was never reported to have kicked a ball so maybe he is just a figleaf of my recollection and will simply resemble John in his golden years. :015:

He is pretty certain to leave I believe,  if not in January certainly at the end of the season.  More a family issue than a football one and a move to the central belt is definatley on the cards.

So any fans of St Mirren, Falkirk, Motherwell etc  expect a good midfielder arriving to a club near you shortly!!!

More a family issue than a football one

Ahh, the good old "family reasons" excuse that is trotted out by many clubs/players [delete as appropriate] to disguise other reasons. If he does go I will be disappointed as he is a skillful midfielder who should be making regular appearances either from the bench or in the starting lineup.

We have a squad that has too many midfield players but he would not be one of the ones I would be sacrificing to reduce the numbers.

I don't accept the 'family reasons' theory as he was living here before he came to us, so he knew exactly what life in the Highlands was all about. He has also bought a new house quite recently.

I also don't think he's had a fall out with DP, unless it's to do with the moaning he's been doing about getting a game. DP is/was JR's no 1 fan. DP comes in on his day off to work with the players who aren't getting a game or are returning from injury and JR is one who is always up for extra training and has been attending these extra sessions with DP.  I have also seen JR out running a couple of times recently, so he's obviously working hard at keeping his fitness levels up.  How many other players do you think were out running on their weekend off?

I just don't think he fit's into Brews current team structure, but that may change over the next few weeks, although it does sound like Brew is keen to put him out on loan in January.

I just don't think he fit's into Brews current team structure, but that may change over the next few weeks, although it does sound like Brew is keen to put him out on loan in January.

So what is Brew's current team structure..?  After Blackie's substitution at half-time last week, accompanied by predictable tantrums,  I'm wondering if he'll also no longer fit into Brew's current team structure...  :024:

I don't know JB. I do know that Brew likes Blackie - the player, but I don't imagine he'll tolerate indiscipline. I wouldn't be surprised if Blackie is 'rested' for a couple of games.  On the other hand can we afford to make so many changes?  We'll have no Bayne or Tokely, so the midfield will have to be strong.

Sounds like a load of pish to me LG.

Brewster hasnt got a clue about team structure unless hes playing within it, hes showed us a few times now hes whinging it,  theres no evidence to say that him dropping Black, Marius, Rankin, Dean or whoever else is next for the chop being tactical.

Rankin is one of our best players, hes one of the 4 players in the team who could leave and be guaranteed at least SPL football, to let him go is pure madness.  If Craig Brewster really does believe that Alan Morgan, Roy McBain or Barry Wilson are better options on the left hand side then he is clearly in the wrong job, John Rankin is head and shoulders above all of them.

If it is Brews ego and his mandatory pre pubescent feet stomping thats dictating team selection, as others have suggested, then it needs to be checked now, or we'll lose half the bloody team.

That's not a bad post CH2. I didn't say whether or not I agreed with the decisions, just tried to pass on a bit of what I have heard.  I do rate John Rankin, but all this cloak and dagger stuff about him sleeping with Brew's bird etc I know to be a load of rubbish. Brew does rate him as a player and I wouldn't be surprised if he's included in the team selection this week, even if that's on the bench. JR is a true professional, which is why DP admires him and I'm sure Brew will appreciate that too.

Whether we agree or not, Brew has to play, what he feels is his best team and for some reason he has players he prefers for now.