FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Another Stewarding Story

RiG

It may well have had a happy ending but surely this could have been sorted out well before the media became involved.

Fair dinkum I just don't understand why they treat fans so badly time after time.

Is this the same disbaled kiddie that was treated so badly a few years ago?

It seems the health and safety of the sponsor's advertising is more important than the fans... or am I over-reacting?

Guest CaleyJaggy

Starting to really dispair at the lack of common sense displayed when it comes to incidents at TCS.

On sunday we were standing at the pie stall in the main stand next to the away end and a steward had the side door open and Dons fans were walking in and queing for the stall or heading into the toilets etc.  A guy with me went up to the steward and asked him to close the door to stop them coming in and got a "Why???" as the answer.  :017:

Sounds to me like another case of H&S gone mad. Happy outcome though.  :clapping03:

Yeah the outcome is a good one and the club should be congratulated on seconding a steward to take responsibility. Such a pity that this situation was never realised and discussed some time ago, before the press became involved. Its easy to read it in the paper and form sympathetic opinion towards the lad but, in my opinion, its a little bit unfair to lay blame on club or steward. Advertisers pay a lot of money to have their boards on view. Money the club needs.

Imagine if a major occurance happened resulting in a serious crowd control/ evacuation problem. Is the friend able, in the face of panic, to take control of the safety of this lad? That is why it is expected that those less able be accompanied by a responsible person. This club, like all others, provides free entry and a specific area for the less able and a carer. The club and the stewards need to be sure that the carer is competent in the event of an emergency.

CaleyJaggy, I may be wrong here but I think its common practise to open this door for access to toilets and pie shop to alleviate the pressure on the one shop and toilet block at the other side of the ground, especially when the away stand is full. The same happens for the North stand punters.

Got to agree with you on that one Alex.

With all due respect, what is the point in having a disabled section that is designed for the less able, if the less able do not use it?  Again, not wanting to rub anyone up the wrong way, and I'm glad the lad got something from Caley in way of apology, but they did offer free tickets for the disabled section free of charge which were then turned down by the family. :029:

Guest CaleyJaggy

Alex, I cannot say it has never happened before but it is certainly the 1st time I have seen it happen since we moved back to TCS from Pittodrie.

Oh and at the Gretna match today I was randomly pulled up by a steward and asked to keep an eye on our fans and ask anyone I saw standing to sit down  :017: quite bizzare

Had "Your Call" on on the way back from the game last night and a Gretna supporter phoned in to complain about their stewards. Apparently a supporter who'd been making his feelings known about the performance as the team went off at half time was pointed out by one of the players at the start of the second half and thrown out. Several more were apparently thrown out during the second half for the same sort of thing. Guy phoning in said there was no obscene or threatening language being used and that the people ejected were just exercising their rights to tell their team they weren't very good.

Which, in fairness, they weren't.

So in more ways than one it could be worse - we could be Gretna.

As a reformed character I took in this game in a sober fashion. I was amazed by the number of ICT fans who appeared to be intoxicated and possibly could have been ejected for being "drunk" - The language was blue at times and there were racist chants about Ross-shire. I found myself having to stand at times just to watch the game becos of perpertrators standing up in front of me. It was fortunate that the game was not been stewarded by the vigilant crew from Inverness. The courts in Motherwell would have been full on Monday morning.

I have considered my position in regard to future attendances and I have decided that I am going to take the risk of getting pished again like everybody else.

:001:

I think this is yet nother ridiculous move by the club.

Contrary to popular believe, not all people who have a disablility require round the clock, one to one attention from carers. In fact so many people only see the disability and not the person who has the disability.

f the club insist that every fan with a disability must be accompanied  by a carer and sit in the designated area then they are sadly mistaken. those of us who work with people with disabilities day in and day out, do so much work trying to promote independance and confidence into people. the lad involved in this story is by all accounts your average teenage boy who loves his football and wnts to sit with his friends. His scooter is a mobility aid. He always transfers himself from scooter to seat withut problem and i can't see where the problem is.

I often see Gordon Gillespie photographer) working at the stadium but i notice that he isn't required to have a carer with him.

It's about time people move out of the dark ages with their opinions re disabilities.I think our club have been shown to be lacking in their policys.

In my opinion Disabled people should NOT recieve free tickets for matches they should pay like the rest of us. Whether it be full price or concession should be the clubs choice and their carers should get in for free (IF THEY REQUIRE A CARER).

There should be decent facilities available. At present wheelchair users recieve no shelter fom the elements at all. Their view is obstructed by everything from the 3 thousand fans who decide to leave early then stand behind the goal to watch last few minutes, to the subs warming up, to the stewards and police and most recently by the new crash barrier erected at exactly eye level.

I was in discussion a couple of seasons ago with a club official about revamping their disabled policy but nothing ever came of it.

Wheel chair viewing areas should be above ground level, why not spend a few quid and make the failed singing stand into a fully covered stand with whellchair access at a raised level.

I wonder where ICT would stand re the stewrad I met at Tyncastle a few years ago who was himself a wheelchair user. I think thetop brass at our club are in serious need of training on disability rights and isssues.

Extremely well said, Bronson.  Totally agree.

Many moons ago, disabled (ie blind) supporters at Caley Park (Telford Street) sat in the Stand and we all tried to sit nearby to listen to the commentary given by one of those who volunteered their services (forget the names now - but I think one was Bobo MacKay who eventually was the Provost).  Very interesting and informative - especially the rules on off-side, as he saw it.

I don't recall any "carers" having to be there with them but I suppose the title hadn't been invented then.  Maybe this thread should be in "memories"?

I think this is yet nother ridiculous move by the club.

Contrary to popular believe, not all people who have a disablility require round the clock, one to one attention from carers. In fact so many people only see the disability and not the person who has the disability.

f the club insist that every fan with a disability must be accompanied  by a carer and sit in the designated area then they are sadly mistaken. those of us who work with people with disabilities day in and day out, do so much work trying to promote independance and confidence into people. the lad involved in this story is by all accounts your average teenage boy who loves his football and wnts to sit with his friends. His scooter is a mobility aid. He always transfers himself from scooter to seat withut problem and i can't see where the problem is.

I often see Gordon Gillespie photographer) working at the stadium but i notice that he isn't required to have a carer with him.

It's about time people move out of the dark ages with their opinions re disabilities.I think our club have been shown to be lacking in their policys.

In my opinion Disabled people should NOT recieve free tickets for matches they should pay like the rest of us. Whether it be full price or concession should be the clubs choice and their carers should get in for free (IF THEY REQUIRE A CARER).

There should be decent facilities available. At present wheelchair users recieve no shelter fom the elements at all. Their view is obstructed by everything from the 3 thousand fans who decide to leave early then stand behind the goal to watch last few minutes, to the subs warming up, to the stewards and police and most recently by the new crash barrier erected at exactly eye level.

I was in discussion a couple of seasons ago with a club official about revamping their disabled policy but nothing ever came of it.

Wheel chair viewing areas should be above ground level, why not spend a few quid and make the failed singing stand into a fully covered stand with whellchair access at a raised level.

I wonder where ICT would stand re the stewrad I met at Tyncastle a few years ago who was himself a wheelchair user. I think thetop brass at our club are in serious need of training on disability rights and isssues.

:clapping03: :clapping03: :clapping03: :clapping03:

Bronson, you dont say much these days, but when you do you get it spot on !!!! I just wish the club would listen to you and others who have the experience in this area.