FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Old Garages of The Sneck

Guest Glen Mhor

Guest Glen Mhor

Who recalls the old garages of The Sneck ?

There have been so many in different parts of the town over the years - Ferries (Triumph) on Millburn Road where Farm & Household is now, Rossleigh (Hillman, Singer, Humber) on Young Street where Tescos is, SMT (Vauxhall) where Farmfoods is, Macrae & ****, of course, in Struthers Lane (BMC/BL range) and I think there was a Chapmans (Fords) in Greig Street and also on Longman Road where Halfords is today. Don't think they sold cars there but might have serviced and/or stored them. The Inverness Motor Co on Struthers Lane (where Royal Mail are now) sold Rovers and Land Rovers.

I think there was a garage on Anderson Street which sold DAFs.

:024:

I think the garage on Anderson st was riverside garage/motors adjacent to riddells motorcycles.Other old garages include Mackenzie and Macpherson at the top of the raining stairs,Midmills Garage when owned by Ludo and John Macpherson,Raigmore service station ,County Motors in Montague row and what was the one in Glenurquart rd was it Smiths Autos ??

12th man you are out on 2 counts .Macrae and **** were in Academy st and were Austin ,Morris and RollsRoyce dealers not Fiat and the school at the top of Stephens brae was Inverness Royal Academy.I cant recall if there was a fiat dealer before Donald Mackenzie's took over the old Rossleighs garage in Tomnahurich st in the late 70 s anybody recall ??

MacKenzie and MacPherson at the top of Raining's Stairs. Alastair MacPherson and Dunc MacKenzie. My dad and I both took our cars there. Then we went to Brown's near the Black Bridge.... until they forgot to tighten the nuts on one of my wheels one day. (Since then it's been F and R MacDonald which is alive, well and excellent.)

There was also MacPherson's on Midmills Road. I think I used them once or twice in the distant past. Also, the Inverness Motor Company where I bought my first car.

12th man you are out on 2 counts .Macrae and **** were in Academy st and were Austin ,Morris and RollsRoyce dealers not Fiat and the school at the top of Stephens brae was Inverness Royal Academy.I cant recall if there was a fiat dealer before Donald Mackenzie's took over the old Rossleighs garage in Tomnahurich st in the late 70 s anybody recall ??

OK I was only 11 ! That's why I put a question mark next to Fiat.

But Midmills College WAS Culloden Academy for a couple of years as the academy in Culloden was still being built.

• Agree 1

Guest Glen Mhor

I think the garage on Glenurquhart Road which is now a chip/pizza shop and convenience store and at one time was known as Park Motors sold Fiats and they also sold Volvos. They could get almost any make of car - my dad bought a Triumph Herald estate from them.

:003:

But Midmills College WAS Culloden Academy for a couple of years as the academy in Culloden was still being built.

I can remember Midmills being the IRA, but don't ever recall it being Culloden Academy.  Mr Bannerman, can you help?

I think the garage on Glenurquhart Road which is now a chip/pizza shop and convenience store and at one time was known as Park Motors sold Fiats and they also sold Volvos. They could get almost any make of car - my dad bought a Triumph Herald estate from them.

:003:

It ended up as Argyll motors run by Brian Rizza, before that it was Hamilton Bros, who had their main garage next to the fire station, now city plumbing.

Seem to remember a garage half way up Rose street on the left, opposite the AI welders, run by a pole... nothing changes eh?

Seem to remember a garage half way up Rose street on the left, opposite the AI welders, run by a pole... nothing changes eh?

That garage was certainly part of the BMW Cadertons (i think) dealership in 80s...but i think it was just motorbikes from waht i rememeber.

I can remember Midmills being the IRA, but don't ever recall it being Culloden Academy.  Mr Bannerman, can you help?

?????I didn't actually expect anyone to question the name of the school I went to.

Yes it used to be the IRA but it wasn't when I went there.

But of course some people know best.

Children from Culloden,Smithton,Balloch,Ardersier,Sunnyside and Westhill went there by bus, apologies to any areas missed out.

But lets get back to the topic 'Garages', next someone is going to tell me that Gunsmiths didn't sell guns.

Some great memories coming up here .The garage in Rose st was in fact the Rose st garage owned by the Robertsons.It was owned by Calterdon after that and "George  the jeep"was a salesman with them .The Garage ran by the "pole "was in George st next to Chisholm's the undertakers. The garage in the Haugh was latterly run by Brian Macgregor but was originally Harper's Garage. Was the Garage in Glenurqaurt road not Smiths Automobiles at one time owned by "Ginger smith ???I don't remember it being Hamilton Bros

Guest Glen Mhor

My dad used to buy pterol at Harpers Garage in the Haugh. I always remember they had an old Borgward car outside the office inside the garage. It didn't have a bonnet and was full of rubbish of all types. It was covered in dust and hadn't been worked on for ages but a very rare car in Inverness; certainly very collectable now.

:driving01:

Some great memories coming up here .The garage in Rose st was in fact the Rose st garage owned by the Robertsons.It was owned by Calterdon after that and "George  the jeep"was a salesman with them .The Garage ran by the "pole "was in George st next to Chisholm's the undertakers. The garage in the Haugh was latterly run by Brian Macgregor but was originally Harper's Garage. Was the Garage in Glenurqaurt road not Smiths Automobiles at one time owned by "Ginger smith ???I don't remember it being Hamilton Bros

I stand by your views Morris, but then you are a lot older than me :016:

Harpers was further along Haugh was it not? nearer Gordonville road?

Hey Ginger Smith... wow, forgot all about him, did he not have a car sales yard Dunabban street?

When Harper's garage changed hands to the "infamous "Brian Macgregor "No hassle from the garage near the castle"Campbell Harper did indeed trade from what can only be described as an old Nissan hut on the corner of Gordonville Road Very similar to Galaxy Garage nowadays !!!!!

Lol Ha HA Ha

I am not so sure I am older caley 100 ????

As for Ginger Smith I am not sure about the yard in Dunabban St.I thought after Glenurquart Rd he semi retired and I remember him staying in a big house at the top of Old Edinburgh Rd near Dow's bar where he "dabbled "in the odd used car .Was the yard in Dunabban not Jo Jo s old mans .????

Guest Glen Mhor

Didn't Hawcos first start selling VWs from a garage in King Street ? The first Golfs and Polos in The Sneck were sold there. In the early 1970s Datsuns were sold on Tomnahurich Street in the old J T L Parkinsons offices/workshop by a garage from Dingwall (?). I think Donald Mackenzie took over the Rossleigh garage and sold Fiats from there for a time before moving down to the Longman. Skodas were sold out at Delmore and Ladas on the Nairn road near Culloden Pottery. 

:driving01:

I do recall Datsuns being sold by Invercars in Harbour Rd but now it s been mentioned was it Newtons from Dingwall before that .Where exactly in Tomnahurich st ??The Garage in King st was Chapmans in the sixties but then Icant remember who was in it after that could have been Hawcos .Ness motors had their bodyshop there in the 80s