FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Internet Player of the Year

I certainly wont turn down any offer of help ......

all polls from this year should be visible at this link by looking in the dropdown menu

http://www.caleythistleonline.com/index.ph...4&Itemid=49

if you want a copy of my spreadsheet let me know ... it automates some of the sums (but not all)

No probs, Scotty, will do it ASAP - just a couple of questions...

1) Where are the poll results for the games in August?  They don't appear to be on the drop down menu.

2) What are the tiebreakers when players have the same number of points from a single match?

It's no surprise that Don Cowie was player of the month in both September and October...

here are the first six games - Rangers on 4th August until Hibs on 1st September. let me know if you need any others.

I also included a screenshot from last years spreadsheet to explain how it works .....

As you will see on the screenshot for December, Ian Black and Mark Brown both got a total of 8 vote points in the Motherwell game while Richard Hastings got 13 and Darren Dods got 18. In this instance Dodsy got the 5 POY pts for this game, Hastings got the 3 points and BOTH Black and Brown got 1. In the next game against Dundee Utd Mark Brown and Barry Wilson were tied with Grant Munro and Craig Dargo getting the next two highest totals ... in this case Brown and Wilson both got 5 POY points and Munro and Dargo got 3 and 1 respectively .... basically if there is a tie, then the players get the appropriate points but 5, 3 and 1 are always awarded even if it means 4 or 5 players get points.

When it comes to Player of the Month then it is total votes irrespective of how many 5, 3 or 1 pointers they got

post-2-1199910447_thumb.png

01.rangers.gif_thumb

post-4-1199910447_thumb.png

02.motherwell.gif_thumb

post-4-1199910448_thumb.png

03.stmirren.gif_thumb

post-4-1199910449_thumb.png

04.dundeeutd.gif_thumb

post-4-1199910450_thumb.png

05.arbroath.gif_thumb

post-4-1199910451_thumb.png

06.hibernian.gif_thumb

post-4-1199910452_thumb.png

DSM05.gif_thumb

I managed to throw August into a copy of the spreadsheet - attached - see if this makes sense to you ....

Player of the Month for August - Michael Fraser mainly due to a good display against Rangers, with Marius and Ian Black a fair bit behind and Cowie further still. In terms of POY points, Marius was leading with Cowie 1 point behind.

ICT-POY-0708.xls

I was playing around with the excel file and think i managed to make it more understandable and a little more user friendly by automating more of the calculations.

I entered all results up until last weeks game as that poll is not yet closed and the results so far (by my calculations) are as follows

Players of the Month

August: Michael Fraser

September:Don Cowie

October:Don Cowie

November:Don Cowie

December:Michael Fraser

Rankings

01. Don Cowie ( 53 )

02. Michael Fraser ( 44 )

03. Marius Niculae ( 33 )

04. Ian Black ( 28 )

05. Ross Tokely ( 14 )

06. Dennis Wyness ( 11 )

07. Russell Duncan ( 8 )

08. Craig Brewster ( 5 )

09. Richie Hart, Alan Morgan, John Rankin ( 3 )

12. Barry Wilson ( 2 )

13. Graham Bayne, Roy McBain, Grant Munro ( 1 )

All other players on 0 points.

Does this agree with your numbers hislopsoffsideagain ?

POY200708.xls

I have exactly the same except for Wyness on 12pts - I thought I was to give him 1pt for the Motherwell game where Marius came first and Michael and Don tied for second.

I have all the numbers made up for each separate game, each month and overall standings including total votes, which all seem to add up perfectly.  It's in a microsoft word format if you want me to send it to you?  I couldn't be bothered horsing around with a spreadsheet so dared to use a combination of my brain and a calculator (mostly the calculator!)

I have exactly the same except for Wyness on 12pts - I thought I was to give him 1pt for the Motherwell game where Marius came first and Michael and Don tied for second.

you are correct - hadnt noticed that one.

I updated the spreadsheet to auto-award points but Excel has a bit of a problem with RANK commands where it skips a rank if anyone is tied - There is a solution to this but I cant think of it at the moment. Once i figure it out, will repost the spreadsheet and you might want to try it - guess its good to know we agreed on (most of) the totals and that where there was a discrepancy it was easily explainable  :021:

Assuming we're working on the first game in any month/sheet

Add 2 columns after Rank - these will become columns I and J

In Cell I7 enter the forumla - =COUNTIF($F$7:F7,F8)<1 - and then copy it down for all rows.

In Cell J7 enter the forumla - =MATCH(F7,LARGE(IF($I$7:$I$38,"",$F$7:$F$38),ROW($1:$32)),0) - Enter the forumla by holding down Ctrl & Shift and hitting Enter, then copy down to all rows.

Change the forumla in K7 to - =IF(J7=1,5,IF(J7=2,3,IF(J7=3,1,0))), then copy down to all rows.

Rename column J as RANK and hide columns H & I to prevent future confusion

You then need to repeat that for each game, adjusting the column references where applicable.

Voila....it will now award points properly for 1st, 2nd & 3rd...even when 2 players draw for any given place.