FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Bestest Band you have ever seen live

tm4tj

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened between 1991 and 2000? Too drunk to remember? Or do you just not want to mention your Spice Girls and Boyzone phase?

That's a good point! I saw a few bands during that time but mostly ones that I'd already seen. Usually the first time I saw a band was the most memorable. Although Ministry in 1993 were good...

Black Sabbath at Aberdeen around 1970/71

George Thorogood and the Destroyers 2006 Shepherds Bush

Forgot about them! Saw them in Sacramento, CA in 2005. Excellent. George is looking awful like Tommy Vance in his later years these days!

• 2 weeks later...

Thats the winner then, just back from seeing a genius at work.  Neil Young at Hammersmith Apollo awesome, absolutely awesome, a living legend.  He played for over two and a half hours, acoustic set first then a toilet break, then came back to blow your head off with haunting bludgeoning electric ramblings, just awesome.  He went from guitars to pianos to mouthies to banjos to organ to old Blackie the man is simply a genius.  He has some energy for a man in his sixties, he can rock with the best of them, in fact, he just possibly is the best of them.  Bumped into mr Naelifts and party at the gig........well, in the Duke of Cornwall before the gig, pretty sure they enjoyed it as well.  The only downside of having a guy that has written so many songs is he can't fit them all in, but he certainly gave it a good try.  No After The Goldrush was disappointing, but so much to choose and Old Man had the hairs standing on the back of my neck.  Down By The River just got better and better and Powderfinger had everyone in raptures.  His distinctive edgy guitar playing is just so special, raw and original certainly covers this legend.  Plenty of feedback and piercing ear busting wailing from Blackie, but the return to the rythymn and punching beats completes the journeys and if that is not enough the harmonica that compliments the shrill tones from Neils tonsils gets plenty of puffs as well.  His voice is as haunting as it was in the early seventies, not a lot has changed and his energy knows no bounds.

Thats it then, the contest is over for the bestest live band ever, it has just been won. :clapping03:

Little known over here but Concrete Blonde were awesome.  No real stage show, just one crazy woman pounding on a bass singing her broken heart out.

Violent Femmes were also sensational.  Drummer being completely hatstand.

The glory days of James (actually before their glory days come to think of it) saw Tim Booth and his whirling dervish dancing - flowery shirts and all.

Chris

Thats the winner then, just back from seeing a genius at work.  Neil Young at Hammersmith Apollo awesome, absolutely awesome, a living legend.  He played for over two and a half hours, acoustic set first then a toilet break, then came back to blow your head off with haunting bludgeoning electric ramblings, just awesome.  He went from guitars to pianos to mouthies to banjos to organ to old Blackie the man is simply a genius.  He has some energy for a man in his sixties, he can rock with the best of them, in fact, he just possibly is the best of them.  Bumped into mr Naelifts and party at the gig........well, in the Duke of Cornwall before the gig, pretty sure they enjoyed it as well.  The only downside of having a guy that has written so many songs is he can't fit them all in, but he certainly gave it a good try.  No After The Goldrush was disappointing, but so much to choose and Old Man had the hairs standing on the back of my neck.  Down By The River just got better and better and Powderfinger had everyone in raptures.  His distinctive edgy guitar playing is just so special, raw and original certainly covers this legend.  Plenty of feedback and piercing ear busting wailing from Blackie, but the return to the rythymn and punching beats completes the journeys and if that is not enough the harmonica that compliments the shrill tones from Neils tonsils gets plenty of puffs as well.  His voice is as haunting as it was in the early seventies, not a lot has changed and his energy knows no bounds.

Thats it then, the contest is over for the bestest live band ever, it has just been won. :clapping03:

For living legends I think I can trump you with Willie Neslon. I think even Neil Young himself would concede that!

The glory days of James (actually before their glory days come to think of it) saw Tim Booth and his whirling dervish dancing - flowery shirts and all.

Chris

Going to see James next month. My Second fave music act.

At the risk of sounding like an old fart,

I'll make sure that comes back to haunt you......

Plenty of feedback and piercing ear busting wailing from Blackie

I thought it was Neil Young you were at, not ICT......

Mannie,  by 'bestest band' you meant real legends, but unfortunately looking at the replies too many folk have misread it and put their best ever gig.

A battle scarred veteran of many T in The Perks, Glasgow Greens and more trips to the Brixton Academy, Barrowlands, secc, etc than you can shake a stick at, which on the way included taking in leg ends such as Bob Dylan, The Eagles, U2, George Thorogoood to name but a few  I would still give it to Neil Young.  His performance at the Apollo on Sat night was nothing short of phenomenal  :clapping03:

Thanks Neil  :022:

Pink Floyd at the Mothers Club in Birmingham1970 recording live part of the Umma Gumma Album

Moody Blues Concertgebouw Amsterdam1968

Soft Machine in amsterdam the next night

Tangerine Dream Chichester Festival Theatre

Echo and The Bunnymen Skye Gathering hall :017:

Mannie,  by 'bestest band' you meant real legends, but unfortunately looking at the replies too many folk have misread it and put their best ever gig.

I was humming and hawing whether or not to raise this very point, but didnt want to alienate the younger ones who have missed the boat as far as that goes

Pure snobbery.  Much as I like Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Lou Reed and other 'Legends', my favourite song is by the little known Razorcuts.

It's a bit like saying 'who's your favourite football team' but only meaning those where crowds are more than 50,000 as the rest aren't 'real' teams.

Pure snobbery.  Much as I like Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Lou Reed and other 'Legends', my favourite song is by the little known Razorcuts.

It's a bit like saying 'who's your favourite football team' but only meaning those where crowds are more than 50,000 as the rest aren't 'real' teams.

Away mun, snobbery my erse, you've got a thin skin.  :001: I could list you hunners of unknown songs I love but that would be another thread. This is supposed to be for legends (and I must confess I wish I had seen more when I had the chance).

I was humming and hawing whether or not to raise this very point, but didnt want to alienate the younger ones who have missed the boat as far as that goes

Welcome to  the old gits club Smee  :015: :015: :015:

This thread does exactly what it says on the tin.

Who, in your humble opinion, is the best act you have seen live with your own eyes.  Not what is your favourite act, what is yous favourite song or who is the greatest musician in the world............although, if you have seen the greatest musician in the world, he will most likely be the bestest act/band you have ever seen.

Does that help.