FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Saturdays "Penalty"

RiG

I've just seen the ICT claim for a penalty from yesterdays game expecting it to at least be contentious given that the referee had to discuss the award with his linesman/assistant referee but I was staggered to see just how clear a penalty it was! Even more amazing was the fact that the referee was only a few yards away and had a clear cut view of the incident.

For me this yet again exemplifies just how poor Scottish refereeing is these days. Yes people make mistakes but they are typically ones that are difficult to call and not ones like this that are clear cut from the off. I am not 100% certain if the "Whistleblower" site could be used for clearing up such odd incidents like this but I would be interested to hear from Mike Calamity as to why exactly he thought this was a free kick and not a penalty. Managers are called to task on most things so why not referees?

Have a look for yourself at the latest in a long line of bizarre decisions from Scottish officials *here*

it is indeed bizarre, what irks me is the fact that the 'referee' is closer to the incident than the linesman so he should have a better view but for some strange reason he feels it necessary to consult the linesman. very strange indeed

I heard the game on the radio and heard about the penalty claim but after watching the highlights, the decision is absolutely awful. If a ref, nor the linesman cannot spot that that's a handball in the penalty box then they shouldn't be in the job. Almost all the ref's in Scotland are absolutely pish especially the one's that have handled caley's games this season.

I haven't seen it so cant really comment but I believe the linesman says it was outside the box. If the player was just inside but his hand was out then its not a penalty. But as I say I never seen it.

The player and his hand was a full yard inside the box - a stone waller -- Is U tube blocked for you..?

Guest couchpotato

Another example of officials being intimidated by the home crowds reaction and letting it influence their decisions.

That actually surprises me as I was sitting almost level with the 18 yard box and I was unsure - in fact I hought that it may have been n the line at the most. And the mjority of the supporters around me were left unsure as well. The ref clearly gave it but the assistant - on the other side of the pitch changed the decision - oh and I was sober. And as is pointed out why did the ref not overrule the assistant ?

And a Denzil goal at that stage would have changed it all - if he head scored !!

What about the second pen with Imrie ?

And a Denzil goal at that stage would have changed it all - if he head scored !!

I have to say, that when it was awarded as a penalty, our luck up to that point made me certain whoever took it would miss...

What about the second pen with Imrie ?

Not on the clip and don't have Setanta so haven't seen it since it happened (but Imrie has said the keeper clipped his heels).

I haven't seen it so cant really comment but I believe the linesman says it was outside the box. If the player was just inside but his hand was out then its not a penalty. But as I say I never seen it.

The player and his hand was a full yard inside the box - a stone waller -- Is U tube blocked for you..?

Wish I had as much time on my hands to surf Utube

OK, just watched these highlights and they're a total joke. The 'pen' was about 3 mins before half time. We'd missed about 7 chances and hit the post by then. Mind you it saves Denzil's embarrassment at missing all the sitters.

Also would like to see the booking of Imrie for diving. Another stonewall penalty if you ask me.

It'll never be said but the referee would have been told beforehand that he will have to go easy on Gretna.

The 2nd "penalty" claim on Imrie for example.  I've not seen it but every newspaper has it down as virtually a stonewaller.  Hypothetically if Imrie went down and the ref said penalty,  the goalkeeper would have to be sent off and be banned for 2 games I think,  not 100% sure on that but something like it.    Poor old Gretna don't have another goalkeeper at the clubfor the next 2 games and the rest of Saturdays match. (I believe at one point they were talking about registering the club mascot as a keeper) So it is easier on the referee and Gretna and the SPL to book Imrie for diving.

In saying that I do feel sorry for the 200 or so genuine Gretna fans with no team next season.  But the sooner they're put out of there misery the better!

You do realise Johnboy that we overseas fellas can not even see the BBC replay to which there is a link on here!. Blocked to all Overseas  punters.  :008:

Can you imagine something so hairbrained as that--days after the event a few -half a dozen  of us in far flung parts of the world --cannot even get a sniff of a look.

Time to contact Mike Smith again. :029: