FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Brewster

TomCaleyJag

Do you still support Craig Brewster, and believe he is the right man to take the club forward?  

356 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

IMO, the club as a whole is riding along at the moment on some dodgy foundations both on the playing and non-playing side.  

On the playing side we've seen some fairly major issues with players and the managers and contracts etc this past couple of seasons.  The kind of problems we were seeing don't fix themselves overnight, but that is what we are suppose to believe and some people seem to have forgotten about them in light of a couple of recent good results.

On the non-playing side the club has been lacking in many areas for some time now....even long before Alan Savage was Chairman.  AS tried to change things and ended up being hounded out of the job, why do people seem to think that George Fraser will be any more successful in bringing about change?  He was promoted from within, he was a part of the Board that resisted the changes AS wanted to make and even if he was in agreement with AS, we don't have any new blood in the Boardroom that is going to back the changes he may want to make....especially on the things which really matter to the fans.

Not for the first time we are seeing the club take direct action against people who dare to disagree with them or upset the apple cart.  Whether you agreed with the Brewster Out flag or not, Mike Smith had absolutely no right whatsoever to remove it....that's not just my opinion, it's one of the fundamental beliefs upon which democratic society is based...EVERY single person in this country has the right to peaceful protest.  Does Mike Smith think that TCS is some kind of Oceania and his role is that of Big Brother?

I'm also surprised to see members of the Supporters Trust Committee condemning the lad for putting the flag up.  I thought they more than anyone else would have been throwing their weight behind the rights of the fans to have a voice!!!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest birdog

Not for the first time we are seeing the club take direct action against people who dare to disagree with them or upset the apple cart.  Whether you agreed with the Brewster Out flag or not, Mike Smith had absolutely no right whatsoever to remove it....that's not just my opinion, it's one of the fundamental beliefs upon which democratic society is based...EVERY single person in this country has the right to peaceful protest.  Does Mike Smith think that TCS is some kind of Oceania and his role is that of Big Brother?

I agree with your post CaleyD with exception to this quote. I think, and believe me I am no lover of Mike Smith, that MS acted fairly given the situation. He gave the flag back and told the guys they were free to wave it from where they were sitting. I agree entirely with what was on the flag but ICT do have the right to dictate what is "attached" to their stadium if they deem it to be derogatory to the club.

Would Tesco allow a customer's banner to be attached to their property? "Shop at Asda Tesco are rip off Brewstards" would you allow a banner be attached to your house stating "CaleyD out, more Polish families in"? Like I say I agree with your sentiments however ICT must be allowed their rights also.

PS these are my true feelings and not bait  :004:

Mike Smith has made it perfectly clear to me I can only voice my opinions if they agree with his.

So CaleyD I'm trying to work out from your comments but not 100% sure... which way did you vote in the poll?

Guest birdog

Mike Smith has made it perfectly clear to me I can only voice my opinions if they agree with his.

So CaleyD I'm trying to work out from your comments but not 100% sure... which way did you vote in the poll?

No :018: Mike Smith made it clear, as an employee of the Stadium's tenants, that banners derogatory to the club could not be attached to the stadium, however you were free to express your opinions from the area you were sat. Like I say I am behind you and your cause but in this case I feel Mike Smith was fair.

No need CaleyD, it was Mike Smith, I saw him taking it down and I went down and spoke to him. Missed Dougie's goal because of it too  :008: :004:

Interestingly, he told me "You're not allowed negative things on the stadium. You can take it up to Sect G and wave it about but don't tape it to the stadium." I don't see the difference really.

I cant tape the Marius one up though, as long as its not impeding anyone's view or covering advertising.

Not for the first time we are seeing the club take direct action against people who dare to disagree with them or upset the apple cart.  Whether you agreed with the Brewster Out flag or not, Mike Smith had absolutely no right whatsoever to remove it....that's not just my opinion, it's one of the fundamental beliefs upon which democratic society is based...EVERY single person in this country has the right to peaceful protest.  Does Mike Smith think that TCS is some kind of Oceania and his role is that of Big Brother?

I agree with your post CaleyD with exception to this quote. I think, and believe me I am no lover of Mike Smith, that MS acted fairly given the situation. He gave the flag back and told the guys they were free to wave it from where they were sitting. I agree entirely with what was on the flag but ICT do have the right to dictate what is "attached" to their stadium if they deem it to be derogatory to the club.

Would Tesco allow a customer's banner to be attached to their property? "Shop at Asda Tesco are rip off Brewstards" would you allow a banner be attached to your house stating "CaleyD out, more Polish families in"? Like I say I agree with your sentiments however ICT must be allowed their rights also.

Fair comment and I see your point, but totally disagree  :016:   :003: :004:

I pay ?80 a season for my season ticket, and although that may not seem much to those of you paying ?200+ for yours, thats four months' worth of money for me, and the rest usually goes into ICT as well, travelling, food & drink etc.  So when I'm spending basically all my money on the club, the club that I love, and I stongly disagree with the way its being run, I feel have the right to, as CaleyD put it, a peaceful protest.

The banner wasn't slanderous towards anyone, it had no swears or anything, and although furious I made sure I conducted myself well when talking to Mike Smith about it.

Regarding your comments about Tesco, asda etc. Yes, fair comment. But that (theoretical) man hasn't followed Tesco for most of his life, spend basically all his money on Tesco, and have a love for Tesco. Football is a business where the fans need to be kept reasonably happy, and like to think their opinions matter. ICT however have made it abundantly clear they couldn't care less what the fans think. And I am disappointed with members of the supporters' trust condemning me for this.  :33:

DOES ANYONE CONNECTED WITH ICT GIVE A TOSS ABOUT FANS' OPINIONS? Not even the supporters' trust. What a sad state of affairs.  :020:

No :018: Mike Smith made it clear, as an employee of the Stadium's tenants, that banners derogatory to the club could not be attached to the stadium, however you were free to express your opinions from the area you were sat. Like I say I am behind you and your cause but in this case I feel Mike Smith was fair.

I see your point, and agree that Mike Smith acted within the rules of the stadium, and I clearly did not. I do however, disagree with the rules  :004:

Guest Spectre

Maybe the "Supporters Trust" believe the idea is to be "supportive" to the club.

Birdog is spot on.

The negativity of fans on this site is depressing.

Maybe the "Supporters Trust" believe the idea is to be "supportive" to the club.

I was under the impression that the supporter's trust was supposed to be looking after the supporters. If that is their job, their clearly not doing anything remotely like it and in any other industry would be sacked.

Guest birdog

Fair comment and I see your point, but totally disagree  :016:  :003: :004:

I pay ?80 a season for my season ticket, and although that may not seem much to those of you paying ?200+ for yours, thats four months' worth of money for me, and the rest usually goes into ICT as well, travelling, food & drink etc.  So when I'm spending basically all my money on the club, the club that I love, and I stongly disagree with the way its being run, I feel have the right to, as CaleyD put it, a peaceful protest.

The banner wasn't slanderous towards anyone, it had no swears or anything, and although furious I made sure I conducted myself well when talking to Mike Smith about it.

Regarding your comments about Tesco, asda etc. Yes, fair comment. But that (theoretical) man hasn't followed Tesco for most of his life, spend basically all his money on Tesco, and have a love for Tesco. Football is a business where the fans need to be kept reasonably happy, and like to think their opinions matter. ICT however have made it abundantly clear they couldn't care less what the fans think. And I am disappointed with members of the supporters' trust condemning me for this.  :33:

DOES ANYONE CONNECTED WITH ICT GIVE A TOSS ABOUT FANS' OPINIONS? Not even the supporters' trust. What a sad state of affairs.  :020:

ICT, like Tesco, are a business they have to do what they think is right to protect that business. You attacking their choice of staff is you attacking the way in which the business is run and therefore attacking ICT itself. Like I said MS was fair in the fact that he never removed the banner and returned it to you after the match. Most clubs would not act in this way but if they did I fear that they are within their rights.

Guest Spectre

In any other industry the level of abuse and criticism handed out to employees of the club would force the club to take legal action against the prepetrators.

Guest birdog

I see your point, and agree that Mike Smith acted within the rules of the stadium, and I clearly did not. I do however, disagree with the rules  :004:

If you disagree with rules then you need to study them until you can discover how to cause the most disruption without breaking them. I find that sort of thing invigorating.

Guest birdog

In any other industry the level of abuse and criticism handed out to employees of the club would force the club to take legal action against the prepetrators.

I have to disagree with that, have you ever seen the abuse handed out at a picket line? Have you watched a demonstration against a shop selling fur? There are ways and means but like I say stick to the rules :004:

How do you wave a flag when your not allowed a flag stick, or allowed to stand to wave it, and not allowed to wave it in front of advertising boards.  Mike Smith knew it would be impossible for the flag to be displayed from their seat, and I believe that where the flag was located is where these lads have been told to put their flags by the club....but once again, it's a situation of "when it suites" and fans being given contradicting and confusing information.

:017: - I could understand you having an opinion on Asda being better value for money than Tesco, but I fail to see how replacing me with a Polish family would be of any interest to you whatsoever.

A more realistic comparison might be someone putting "CaleyD Out" in their signature on this forum.  If it then became apparent that it was the opinion of many then it would probably make me stop and look to see why and I'd seek to resolve the issue.  I certainly wouldn't remove the Signature nor ban the User for having an opinion just because I have the ability to do so.

So, whilst I agree that ICT should have their rights, what they have done in this instance is abuse those rights.  If the Flag had read "Brewster is a B*****d" then that would have been an abuse of rights and the removal of the flag would have been justified.

Removal of the flag only shows that the club have something to fear from the opinion of the fans.  The might have seen it as a show of strength/authority, but it just serves to prove how weak and infirm some at the club really are.

The fact that flags/banners containing far more inflamatory slogans have been freely displayed without objection by visiting fans is another argument, but it is another example of how, at ICT, our own fans get hammered far more than they are prepared to hammer the visiting OF support (among others).

Guest birdog

How do you wave a flag when your not allowed a flag stick, or allowed to stand to wave it, and not allowed to wave it in front of advertising boards.  Mike Smith knew it would be impossible for the flag to be displayed from their seat, and I believe that where the flag was located is where these lads have been told to put their flags by the club....but once again, it's a situation of "when it suites" and fans being given contradicting and confusing information.

:017: - I could understand you having an opinion on Asda being better value for money than Tesco, but I fail to see how replacing me with a Polish family would be of any interest to you whatsoever.

A more realistic comparison might be someone putting "CaleyD Out" in their signature on this forum.  If it then became apparent that it was the opinion of many then it would probably make me stop and look to see why and I'd seek to resolve the issue.  I certainly wouldn't remove the Signature nor ban the User for having an opinion just because I have the ability to do so.

So, whilst I agree that ICT should have their rights, what they have done in this instance is abuse those rights.  If the Flag had read "Brewster is a B*****d" then that would have been an abuse of rights and the removal of the flag would have been justified.

Removal of the flag only shows that the club have something to fear from the opinion of the fans.  The might have seen it as a show of strength/authority, but it just serves to prove how weak and infirm some at the club really are.

The fact that flags/banners containing far more inflamatory slogans have been freely displayed without objection by visiting fans is another argument, but it is another example of how, at ICT, our own fans get hammered far more than they are prepared to hammer the visiting OF support (among others).

CaleyD you really do contradict yourself mate think back to our previous conversation then read what you have posted here with regard to freedom of speach and being allowed to express your views and to abuse of power. Come on I gave you my assurance I would not start a post war but if you intend pulling my posts apart while contradicting the info you gave me with regard to forum rules then...........

On your marks

Get set....................

[i believe that where the flag was located is where these lads have been told to put their flags by the club

Just to clarify that the above is correct. It was before the Kilmarnock game I first set up the Marius flag and three others, and I was told not to cover any advertising boards. I chose there as it was the only place where Marius might see it, and fortunately he did  :001:  I was actually thanked by Mike Smith after the game for the flag, and was told that was where to put them in the future.

I pay ?80 a season for my season ticket, and although that may not seem much to those of you paying ?200+ for yours, thats four months' worth of money for me, and the rest usually goes into ICT as well, travelling, food & drink etc.  So when I'm spending basically all my money on the club, the club that I love, and I stongly disagree with the way its being run, I feel have the right to, as CaleyD put it, a peaceful protest.

Regarding your comments about Tesco, asda etc. Yes, fair comment. But that (theoretical) man hasn't followed Tesco for most of his life, spend basically all his money on Tesco, and have a love for Tesco. Football is a business where the fans need to be kept reasonably happy, and like to think their opinions matter. ICT however have made it abundantly clear they couldn't care less what the fans think. And I am disappointed with members of the supporters' trust condemning me for this.  :33:

DOES ANYONE CONNECTED WITH ICT GIVE A TOSS ABOUT FANS' OPINIONS? Not even the supporters' trust. What a sad state of affairs.  :020:

First of all - for the record my season ticket costs me ?330, so I'm also entitled to my opinion.

I am a supporter of the club and should be as free as you to have my say without it involving the Supporter's Trust.  I am on the board of the trust, but it doesn't mean that everything I say is the view of the Trust.  It also angers me a bit that you care to suggest the Trust don't give a Toss about fans, when we have supported you and your friends on numerous occasions and will continue to do so as required.  We are the Supporter's Trust and we will continue to work with the Football Club for the benefit of all fans.

I'm going outside now to enjoy the lovely weather

it doesn't mean that everything I say is the view of the Trust..........

we have supported you and your friends on numerous occasions and will continue to do so as required.

Fair enough, and let me say, that similarly, my views are not neccessarily those of my friends, as I know of at least one of my mates who I sit/stand with at the stadium who has no problem with the supporters trust.   :004:

Guest birdog

So, whilst I agree that ICT should have their rights, what they have done in this instance is abuse those rights.  If the Flag had read "Brewster is a B*****d" then that would have been an abuse of rights and the removal of the flag would have been justified.

Removal of the flag only shows that the club have something to fear from the opinion of the fans.  The might have seen it as a show of strength/authority, but it just serves to prove how weak and infirm some at the club really are.

I think that this post could constitute a defamation of Mike Smith's character, the man was merely protecting the interests of ICT, as he sees them. Sailing a bit close to the wind with that one there CD old bean. :018:

If that is the case then Mike Smith can complain to us using the options available. He also knows my home and work telephone numbers as well as my home, work and website email addresses so can contact me directly if he so wishes. please refrain from back-seat moderating.

Also - I believe the subject was "Do you still support Craig Brewster, and believe he is the right man to take the club forward?" .... so perhaps we can all get back on-topic !!!

Guest birdog

If that is the case then Mike Smith can complain to us using the options available. He also knows my home and work telephone numbers as well as my home, work and website email addresses so can contact me directly if he so wishes. please refrain from back-seat moderating.

Also - I believe the subject was "Do you still support Craig Brewster, and believe he is the right man to take the club forward?" .... so perhaps we can all get back on-topic !!!

Point taken and understood Scotty, apologies to all involved and all affected.

I do NOT agree with the way Brewster has conducted the running of ICT this season and sincerely hope that he can change the way things have been running this season. Brewster will gain my support when he has shown that he is worthy of it, much the same as all situations in my life those who deserve my support shall be afforded it in unconditional terms.

i was one of the people who did not want to see him come back, but this also applied to Pele and Robbo

this is nothing personall and nothing against Brew i just felt that we would have been better getting in somone new to the club

however as he is the manager i will support him and i will back the team to the hilt, yes he has made some mistakes but i think alot of people are forgetting he is not in an easy job, how do you tell the fans idol who is likely to be enterting the twilight of his career that he is not wanted? im not trying to excuse the things he has done but i do think that the TEAM needs our support and he is part of the team

Any change in people's opinions doesn't make any change in the man. If he's got Malky down in the dugout then he wants to take a leaf out of Smith's book and watch at least some of the the first half from the stand so he can actually get an overview of what's going on. I suspect the reason he so often misses what 'every supporter in the stand can see' is because he's kicking every ball from a player's perspective and still not completely in a managerial mindset. That has to change, and really ought to be a no-brainer for him.

That he's no manager of men as yet seems to be pretty obvious, given all the rumours of dust-ups with Black, Niculae, [insert name of player here], the withdrawal of Dennis's contract, the freezing out of Rankin (how many of our starting 11 would get an automatic start at Easter Road?), etc, etc.; you also hear that Malky and his training regime are the bigger issue in the dressing room - but then, should Brew not be addressing that, and managing Malky, too? Still, the way that Barry's playing just now seems to give the lie to that, and Blackie seems a wee bit happier, so perhaps the manager's finally learning to manage, rather than being one of the boys, and maybe the 'boys' are learning to respect that. For pretty much the first time since he came to the club I find myself approving of a bit of what he's done - Imrie has proved to be a fantastic signing and, I'm hopeful we'll see some more good players coming in this summer; we're not playing the long ball game as a matter of course any more, though we do seem to resort to it at the worst possible times; and there are players who appear to be responding to what the gaffer's press claims he's saying.

Next season may be make or break for Brew. He can't rely on the implication that it's not his squad after this summer, as he's already set out his stall in terms of of players earning contracts or heading off to pastures new, the new contracts for the three lads, Zander's recall; Pele's shadow is finally shrinking and what the manager gets from the side he builds for 2008/9 will, I think, define him. I hope it doesn't leave us defined as First Division but - boardroom discord aside - for the first time since the man hung up his boots, I find myself cautiously optimistic.

Good points well made Gav.  Tom Caley Jag would do well to ponder over some of this and maybe take a different view of Brew.  He may well fail, but until then he deserves a bit of backing as do the whole team, not just continual strife from the word go.  Fans expectations have outgrown the stark realities here.  Too much top class football on tv every week clouding the judgements of the ordinary fan making it difficult to see where his/her team fits in.  Don't forget that Brew started the season a few games in with no points on the board.  He then became an instant hero with the last gasp stunner against Hearts, went on to beat Celtic, ran Rangers very close, became manager of the month, then went into reverse.  Time for us all to get on his and the teams backs.  It maybe is good for us to get it off our hairy chests, but it justs makes a difficult situation worse.  All the talk about thank God for Gretna rubbish.  Thats not our fault, what about Killie, and St Mirren........Hearts and Falkirk not too far away either.  I honestly believe but for the poor start to the season we would have been in the top six comfortably.  We are not much different to Aberdeen, Motherwell, Hibs or United, teams we can get the better of, even Aberdeen, maybe next year.  We gave them all seven games of a start and they still could not relegate us.  I have swung a bit on the Brew management issues, and think next season, with some new blood we could be challenging for top six competitively.

Good points well made Gav.  Tom Caley Jag would do well to ponder over some of this and maybe take a different view of Brew.  He may well fail, but until then he deserves a bit of backing as do the whole team, not just continual strife from the word go.  Fans expectations have outgrown the stark realities here.  Too much top class football on tv every week clouding the judgements of the ordinary fan making it difficult to see where his/her team fits in.  Don't forget that Brew started the season a few games in with no points on the board.  He then became an instant hero with the last gasp stunner against Hearts, went on to beat Celtic, ran Rangers very close, became manager of the month, then went into reverse.  Time for us all to get on his and the teams backs.  It maybe is good for us to get it off our hairy chests, but it justs makes a difficult situation worse.  All the talk about thank God for Gretna rubbish.  Thats not our fault, what about Killie, and St Mirren........Hearts and Falkirk not too far away either.  I honestly believe but for the poor start to the season we would have been in the top six comfortably.  We are not much different to Aberdeen, Motherwell, Hibs or United, teams we can get the better of, even Aberdeen, maybe next year.  We gave them all seven games of a start and they still could not relegate us.  I have swung a bit on the Brew management issues, and think next season, with some new blood we could be challenging for top six competitively.

I think I've got what I needed from this thread. The most popular single option was that people do not back Brewster, as I expected. However, the  majority either back him, or are content with him in charge for the time being. As I said one of the justifications for me taking my Brewster Out banner on Saturday, was a recent vote on here, where the vast majority voted to sack him. I was definetly one of those people.

But given the results of this poll, the Brewster Out banner will stay at home for the time being. :004:

I was under the impression that the supporter's trust was supposed to be looking after the supporters. If that is their job, their clearly not doing anything remotely like it and in any other industry would be sacked.

Don't know how I missed this comment.  Not sure how you go about sacking the Supporter's Trust.  The board members are all volunteers, who are all busy people, but give up time to do the work of the Trust.  One of our main priorities is raising money, hence the events, much of this goes back to ICT to improve something or to buy some new equipment and we have sponsored the street league this year with equipment and first aid kits.  We also do speak to the football club on a monthly basis and discuss any issues that have arisen, or discuss future improvements etc.  We do take the fans complaints to these meetings and have organised special meetings when there has been problems to sort. e.g the initial problems with the singing section.  We met on the Sunday night to decide how best to deal with the issues. 

I wish I had seen this post before I arranged a meeting with Mike Smith on your behalf.  I am giving up my personal time tomorrow morning to meet with Mike Smith to discuss whether or not he should have removed your banner.  I really wish I hadn't bothered.  :008: