FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

New ICT song

BornCaley

Hey

someone in a previous thread mentioned that the song "Bring it on home" is not being played anymore due to copyright issues...which is fair enough if the songwrighter (who i know) wants the money. But i wanted something put forward via the Supporters Trust and dont know how to submit an idea..perhaps someone from the trust can reply.

Apart from supporting ICT and working like everyone else, i am also a musician/songwriter with my own studio in Edinburgh...so basically i would like to help solve the copyright issue by writing & recording a new song for ICT to play "copyright free" at home games.

Do we need a song ?

To be honest i always thought "Bring it on home" was a bit cringeworthy and was written after the merger issue...

So what do our brothers & sister think?

peace

fair play to you BornCaley ..... hope some bright sparks can show their songwriting skills to come up with something.

Its a shame that the current song cant be used because of copyright issues but as you say, it is a bit cringeworthy and once the initial "retro-appreciation" of it died down we would probably want rid of it again.

Toronto FC fans have been hunting around for an official "anthem" for a little while and one of the songs that was discussed was "My Town" by Glass Tiger .... In contrast to the copyright issues mentioned above, in this case, the band responded very positively to the guy who sent his manager an email ... presumably because they might gain some new found popularity because of it:

[note: Toronto FC (the club) actually had a song written/recorded for them by the Barenaked Ladies - who are big "soccer" fans but it was instantly forgettable .... the glass tiger song is the fan choice.]

Here's the guys email

Good afternoon Mr. Knight. My name is __________ and I am a member of the U-Sector, the leading supporters group of MLS sporting franchise Toronto FC. I'm assuming like all other Torontonians, and North American soccer fans in general, you've heard of the team and more importantly, it's fanatical support.

Since the football club's inception we have been trying to adopt an anthem. It has not been easy as there are several criteria which could not be dismissed. Most importantly we wanted a Canadian song that would evoke a powerful sense of togetherness and collective joy. We needed something that would put goosebumps on the arms of all those in the stadium, and something that would leave a lasting impression on any fans of the teams we often visit in the USA.

After a long and hotly debated search, we have finally come to a song that represents everything we needed it to. It was exceptionally difficult to please all of the various cultures and characters we have in our community. We finally found that one perfect song that, when eminating from the loud and passionate voices of the consistently sold out 20 100+ crowds we routinely get at BMO Field (our home on Toronto's lakefront), would bring together the glorious tradition we have already built for the team.

The song we have chosen is My Town. I'm sure you will agree with me that this was the perfect choice for our football/soccer team's anthem as it represents the community perfectly and, well, it sounds **** good when sung by a large and passionate crowd.

If possible, would you be able to forward this email and my sentiments to the band in order to offer them even more congratulations on producing a timeless classic and to let them know that they will now be further immortalized by the fans of the club for all time. My Town is and will become synonymous with the team, the stadium, and the best fans in the MLS and all of North American sport. I wouldn't be suprised if the sales of the single/album begin to pick up pace as the season goes on as well.

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear back from yourself and/or the band soon.

Have a great day, sir.

and the manager's response .....

Hi __________;

All the band members were very excited about your choice and Alan Frew has offered to re-record the song with some customized lyrics for your use. As I'm sure you know, Alan is a huge football fan (he's actually in Manchester, England for a championship match as we speak)

Please contact me back to discuss how we can help you.

Best Regards;

Rod Knight

Star Power Management

Representing: Glass Tiger

Toronto FC fans have been hunting around for an official "anthem" for a little while and one of the songs that was discussed was "My Town" by Glass Tiger .... In contrast to the copyright issues mentioned above, in this case, the band responded very positively to the guy who sent his manager an email ... presumably because they might gain some new found popularity because of it:

[note: Toronto FC (the club) actually had a song written/recorded for them by the Barenaked Ladies - who are big "soccer" fans but it was instantly forgettable .... the glass tiger song is the fan choice.]

Glass Tiger song : http://youtube.com/watch?v=NuchAcC4Rb8

Barenaked Ladies cringeworthy effort: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9MnLuD9n4T8

Guest stevico64

How about this one great for North Stand and sure we can learn all the words easily  :029: :029:

Song that has been released in Romania by one of their most famous singers Adrain Copilu, basically the words are how Marius is world class (Cue IHE) and how young kids should aspire to him, takes a little bit before the Marius chants start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU-lNxFvgGY

How about this one great for North Stand and sure we can learn all the words easily  :029: :029:

Song that has been released in Romania by one of their most famous singers Adrain Copilu, basically the words are how Marius is world class (Cue IHE) and how young kids should aspire to him, takes a little bit before the Marius chants start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU-lNxFvgGY

I'm sure we can translate that nae bother. Nice catchy start to the chorus 'Marius, Marius, Marius Nicluaeaeaeaeae'

• 2 weeks later...

Not dugout the song comp stuff yet (I can sense the disappointment), but whilst our DJing last weekend and flicking through tracks I happened upon "Mika...Relax, Take it Easy" and for some reason I thought it would make a great tune.  OK, so the lyrics are a bit depressing and would need a bit of work, but they're simple and that wouldn't be difficult.

am i the only one liking the blasting of the opening to 7 nation army that seems to be at all the euros games????

maybe the club could use this to try and get some atmosphere before the teams run out, it always makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck

Guest birdog

Nice catchy tune with some easily adaptable lyrics.

In spite of all you been told about Elvis Marius

the good die old and helpless

In bobble hats and armchair football scarves

For the big match with Antarctic ThistleCaley Thistle

TheyIHE didn't catch the half time whistle

when they wheeled on the pop music stars

with their pop music guitars

And they were singing

1, 2, 3, I, C, T happy neighbourhood

Do Re MeCaleyJags, so far so good

Because life Mrs BrownMr Brewster

It's just one big knees up

A night on the town, a storm in a teacupthe Scottish Cup

(More like a teacup in a storm)

Where are the songs about boozers and buildings

banning the bomb and abusing the childrenbanging the goals and amusing the children

who'll one day be pop music stars

with their pop music guitars

And they'll be singing

1,2,3I,C,T, happy neighbourhood

Do Re MeCaleyJags, so far so good