Italy v Romania

France v Holland

Round 3

France v Italy

Holland v Romania

Results

Romania 0 v 0 France

Italy 0 v 3 Holland

The best group in terms of the big teams involved. No mistake - this is the group of death and one of the big names will be going out and maybe even two if Romania can spring a huge shock. You would have to fancy two from France, Holland and Italy to go through but which two? France were victorious against Italy in the qualifiers and aren't the team they once were. Top players are struggling for form (Henry and Malouda) but when you take a look at the squad you would be a fool to write off their chances. Exciting players in the form of Nasri and Benzema are coming through and the latter will likely partner Henry up front when they kick off their campaign against Romania on Monday if Va Va Voom can recover from injury. The inspirational Ribery may be ugly as sin but he is quality footballer and I would say that it is he and not Henry who is the key figure for Les Bleus.

Holland arrive with as good a chance as they ever have done in recent years of winning the trophy but will have to be at their best to escape from this group. Right through their squad their is quality. The hugely experienced Van Der Sar commands a back line with the ever reliable Mathijsen likely to start in the centre of defence. Melchiot is out of the opener so I would expect Ooijer to start at right back. Van Bronkhurst and de Cler will fight over the left back slot. The Dutch conceded just 5 goals in qualifying but scoring was a problem. Van Nistlerooy will start up front but I hope to see Huntelaar come on and get a game. His scoring record is outstanding. Robben is also injured but there will be a potent threat from midfield with the likes of Van Der Vaart, Van Persie and Sneijder all likely to get in on the scoring.

Italy suffered a big loss with Cannavaro being clattered by Chiellini in training. The same player then binned Cassano which led to a furious bust up between the Sampdoria forward and Donadoni. If Cassano could channel his anger into his game he could be a fantastic asset to the team. As a result of Cannavaros injury the mad Marco Materazzi and sturdy Andrea Barzagli will form the spine of Italys team in defence. A Milan trio of Pirlo, Gattuso and Ambrosini could feature in a midfield devoid of creativity especially if players like De Rossi force their way into the reckoning. While this restricts the oppositions chances of scoring Italy will be looking to the forward line of Toni and Del Piero to get the goals with Camoranesi filling the right hand slot of the three pronged attack. I'm not sure if they can score enough to get the wins they will need to get through but with their solid defence they might sneak through by virtue of not losing to the big guns when they come up against them.

Romania - no one cares about them!  :016:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Romania

01 Lobont

02 Contra

04 Tamas

15 Goian

03 Rat

11 Cocis

06 Radoi

05 Chivu

16 Nicolita

21  D. Niculae

10 Mutu

France

23 Coupet

19 Sagnol

15 Thuram

05 Gallas

03 Abidal

22 Ribery

20 Toulalan

06 Makelele

07 Malouda

08 Anelka

09 Benzema

Romania 0 v 0 France

France were shocking against Romania. They had the better of the first half and Ribery appeared to be their most potent threat. One day Anelka will bother himself to score a goal. What a waste of a jersey Malouda was/is. Why did he stay on the pitch? Makelele should have been sent off for a disgusting challenge. Obviously getting tackling tips from Essien.

Romania were much improved in the second half. Looked more threatening on the counter attack as France stumbled in the second period. I thought Contra was brilliant for Romania. He completely nullified Malouda and got forward to support his winger too. marius Niculae came on and I couldn't help but laugh when he mentioned ICT! It was a strange sight to see - going from playing against Andy Millen and Richie Byrne to coming up against Lilian Thuram and Will Sagnol :015: He didn't do much apart from smack Makelele when he was on the ground but given the aforementioned tackle I say good on him for doing so!

Italy 0 v 3 Holland

The most shocking offside decision you will ever see turned this game. Holland had looked more likley to score prior to the 1st goal but that was a huge break to get. However their 2nd goal was wonderful counter attacking football. Gio from clearing the ball at one end to spraying it wide to Kuyt (:015:) who nodded it in to Sneijder who had no right to beat Buffon at his near post in such a manner. It was a magical finish from the midfielder and I am delighted as I had him in my dream team! italy had chances to pull goals back. Di Natale, Del Piero, Pirlo and Toni all had chances to get at least one goal back before Holland killed the game with another well worked counter attack.

The Dutch gave a fantastic account of themselves last night and I was really impressed with them. Although Italy lost Frances draw against Romania means that they could still find themselves going through. If they can defeat Romania and avoid defeat to France in their final game this could see them through.

Guest Calum-Red-an-Blue

Italy 0 v 3 Holland

The most shocking offside decision you will ever see turned this game. Holland had looked more likley to score prior to the 1st goal but that was a huge break to get.

it seems like it was actually a ligitamate goal, look here

bbc link

What an odd thing to say given that, in an earlier game in the tournament (might even have been Romania v France), an attacking player clearly walks off the pitch after a scramble in the box to take himself out of the game as his team attack the goal so he isn't given as offside.

This all actually comes down to the rule which says a player cannot leave the field of play (take himself out of the game) without the referees permission.  Even though the Italian player landed up off the pitch as a result of colliding with the goalkeeper he would still be classed as "live" until the referee states otherwise, and then must seek permission to return.

The situation with the player in the France v Romania game was the same.  Even though he left the field of play he would still have been considered "live" however, he clearly could not be interfering with play, which is a pre-requisite of being flagged for offside.

Guest TinCanFan

I always thought the offside rule was that a player was offside if he was between the last defender and the goalie and as the guy off the pitch was behind the keeper then it would not matter that he was off the pitch.

I think Panucci is anything but "live" here :015: :

foot10epa420.jpg

If the linesman had given offside I wouldn't be surprised to see him backed in his decision regardless. I think this is one decision that could run for a while yet. I can see both sides of the argument now. At the time I thought it was easily offside but now I'm not so sure. Both camps have grey areas in them as the thread on P & B is proving.

How did the Romanian result "shock" the Italians? We are talking about a side here who drew with and defeated the Dutch in qualifying. I doubt anyone is overly shocked by it all.

How did the Romanian result "shock" the Italians? We are talking about a side here who drew with and defeated the Dutch in qualifying. I doubt anyone is overly shocked by it all.

I think what Roscoe23 was saying is that getting a doing from the Dutch shocked the Italians .... and that shock could carry over into the Romania game and give Romania a better chance of taking something from it.

two scenarios are in my mind ....

1. The Italians will be in disarray and Romania will win by the odd goal in 3.

2. The Italians will be angry about the defeat and will come out fighting and do to Romania what the Dutch did to them.

I hope #1 is the right one  :004:

Also, France may be wary of the Dutch too and that could also work in Romania's favour .... If France set out to make sure they dont let the Dutch score another 3 then it could end up at 0-0 again.

Have to cncur with a lot of that Scotty - and it wouldnt be the first time that a team has been diabolical in the first game and/or sneaked through the game to win the feckin tournament.

I thought Holland were excellent last night but I dont think the Italians were that bad - a dodgy goal and two brilliant counter attacks - both from their own goal line.

Italy are wounded and at their most dangerous - Toni AND Del Piero would be a test for Romania - Hope the Romanians dont try to stifle the game against Italy or they may suffer.

I think the decision is right and should be enforced as it was by the officials in this game if it happens again.  Otherwise it makes the offside rule pointless as a team could then play a defender practically on the goal-line at all times and then have him step off the park to create an "offside" position whenever he wishes.

It would seem Marius isn't set to start the game against Italy unless there's any last minute changes, but I'll tip him to come on in the last 20 minutes when the game is looking like stalemate and score the winner....proving what I said elsewhere, that what they need is someone up front with the physical strength and presence to hold the ball and wait for support when the tactics are tailored to defensive football.

I was going to keep my money in my pocket as I've already pushed my luck betting on Romania, but hey ho, I've placed the following bets.....

Romania Win @ 7

0-1 Romania @ 15

Romania Clean Sheet @ 4.8

First Goal to be scored in last 10 minutes of the game @ 28

Draw/Romania @ 15

Marius to score first @ (holding off for better odds when squads are announced and he's not starting  :004: )

Basically if Romania lose then am fooked unless it's a last minute goal by Italy....in which case I'll still make something  :015:

Mad?.....probably  :crazy07:

Half Time Report

Bright start by Italians.

Del Piero close range header deflected wide but no corner given.  Mutu chance from the left 15m gone Buffon saves.  Open game, Italy looking menacing and well up for it.

Tamas long range daisy cutter free kick well saved low to Buffon's left. 17m.  Another free kick this time Chivu from 30yds deflected onto the post by D Niculae and Italian defender. Italy survived. 19m

21 minutes, Radoi off injured facial injury..............chance for Marius???  Romania leave it for a couple of minutes to check injury.

Threatening cross by Romania, cleared for corner, and another one, Buffon clutches second corner.  Dica replaces Radoi 25m.

Angled cross from Italy has no takers and bounces out for goal kick. Another cross from right has Toni heading low and just wide, 27m.

Rats whistles a 25 yarder low past Buffon's left hand post, end to end stuff so far, Italy heading wide at other end.  Half hour gone and Romania giving Italy a hard time, Toni just below another cross from wide left.

Commentator mentions no premiership players on the park.....no mention of Inverness Caledonian Thistle yet......come on Marius.  Free kick to Italy blazed over by Del boy Piero from 24yds. Still end to end stuff, entertaining game with Romania coming closest to scoring so far.  Mutu lets ball roll under his foot for throw in to Italy, he looks knackered already.........bring on Marius.  Daniel Niculae harrying hard up front for Romania.  Great defending by Romania to block Italians in six yard box, corner, second corner produces TV save by keeper, third corner produces another flurry in the Romanian six yard box and ball knocked clear. Italians now throwing lots of balls into the Romanian penalty area, but so far Romanians coping.....just.

Great stuff from Romania....................wahaaay. Caledonian Stadium just got a mention as did Marius...........and Italy goal chalked of for offside, good finish and tight decision. Daniel Niculae tries ambitious attempt as half comes to an end.

:021:ROMANIA SCORED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :021:

:clapping03: :clapping03: :clapping03: :clapping03: :clapping03: :clapping03: :clapping03: :clapping03: