FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Markus

frank_the_tank

Its a shame as he did seem to have some potential but I think its the right decision given his history of injury.

Good luck to him, and best wishes for a full recovery from this (and future) injuries

I think we should have kept him until the end of the season at least. Dunno why everybody never really rated him fair enough he was a bit injury prone but I always thought he was pretty good when he played. I hope he gets another decent club and can stay injury free because he is a good player.

I think we should have kept him until the end of the season at least. Dunno why everybody never really rated him. fair enough he was a bit injury prone but I always thought he was pretty good when he played.

I think some did rate him, but unfortunately he spent more time out injured during his ICT career than he did being available for selection. I think I am right in saying that his injury was going to keep him out until at least January and personally, I would rather the club freed up that wage so they might be able to make decent offers to the likes of Munro, Black, Cowie etc.

As harsh as it may sound I thought we were wrong to have extended his deal by 6 months when we did, especially when we were on the brink of announcing an operating loss of over ?400,000 and when it should have been more important for the club to be shoring up the contracts of other players.

No idea how much Paatelainen was earning, but hopefully, as others have said, it gives us a bit more to play with when looking at deals for the likes of Black, Vigurs etc.....the younger guys who are not only the future of the team, but have the potential to move on elsewhere and net the club a decent return to invest in the next batch to come through the ranks.

I am of the school of thought that he shouldnt have been given the extension, given his history. its madness for a club with limited resources like us, its sheer lunacy. ICT board need to grow a pair of balls to enable them to make such ruthless decisions. We arent a charity!

He really was a bit of a waste of time. He was pritty lightweight when he played and when he wasn't playing he was in Finland recuparating with some injury, twice. What i don't get is why they gave him a contract when they knew he wasn't going to play.

However in saying that i wonder what he would have been like had he played consistently.

Edited by ajsict92

I am of the school of thought that he shouldnt have been given the extension, given his history. its madness for a club with limited resources like us, its sheer lunacy. ICT board need to grow a pair of balls to enable them to make such ruthless decisions. We arent a charity!

Totally agree.

I am disappointed in this decision. I thought he looked a decent prospect and loads of potential to be released yet. Unlike some at the club, he looked like an athlete.

Good luck Markus

MP signed during the transfer window in January 2007 and made a total of 22 appearances (10 starts, 12 sub) and scored 3 times. 11 of his 22 appearances (and two of his three goals) were from Jan - May 2007 and he did show potential from what I can remember of the comments made by fans at the time.

However, last season (2007/08) he managed only 4 starts and 7 appearances from the subs bench. His 4 starts (and his sub appearances) were all between January and April 2008. Prior to that date and once again after it he was out injured !!!

ICT simply cannot afford a player who can only play 4 months of the year (Jan - April/May each year !!) and be on the treatment table the rest of it.

Totally agree.

Seems to me a pair may not be enough to share amongst them.

ICT did not release Markus. ICT agreed to terminate his contract at the request of the player who has decided he wants to stay home and play in Finland.

Whether we agree or not this club showed compassion for a player who had the potential to do a job for the club. We gave him the chance to recover from his injury and prove he could make it. He has decided to leave and I, for one, wish him every success in the future.

We were extremely charitable in extending his contract a few months ago when most other clubs would have shown him the door then.

Were we paying his wages during the long term injury or was this done under an insurance policy?

I really thought we should have got rid of him a few months ago and not given him an extension to his contract. For me, he was too scaried to get involved and never won (or went for) a 50/50 ball. I think we have wasted quite a bit of money on him in the last few months - I would guess he is on about ?1000 a week for say 4 months, so that would be approximately ?16,000 ?? And for what return?

"It guarantees that I will bring in an extra body in January as we are definitely thin on the ground for players."

quote from CB on todays BBC website

A quotation we will remind you off if you dont live up to this guarantee Mr B

Edited by BornCaley