FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Bank Phishing

Scotty

One of the security bulletins that comes into my inbox each day has reported a HUGE upswing in phishing activity around banks, some explicitly taking advantage of recent bank acquisitions and mergers during the current financial crisis.

although the newsletter I received is focussed on American banks, it is not unreasonable to expect the same trick to be tried with UK banks.

Bottom line - if you get an email from your bank asking you to divulge account details (because they have now merged with another or something like that) dont respond. Call your bank, or ignore the email. Banks will NEVER ask you to reconfirm your account info online (other than asking for a password when logging in to electronic banking)

Guest couchpotato

reckon over the last month i get 2-3 of these every day ,various banks that i am not even a customer of , scum bags the lot of them :rotflmao:

yeah, I wouldnt normally post this as these scams are almost as common as the 419 (Nigerian) scams but with all the recent mergers, it seems that those who perpetrate this type of fraud are taking advantage of people's fears over the financial crisis and perhaps confusion over what bank they are actually with now and ramping up their attempts big style.

The number of spam emails we receive on a daily basis claiming to be from HBOS, RBS, Lloyds TSB, HSBC and Barcleys is ridiculous. I reckon the number will be in the 500 region per day. I have noticed a new email claiming to be from HM Revenue and Customs requesting bank details for payment of a tax rebate...

Nearly all of the Bank emails claim to be for account confirmation due to new security measures put in place.

Looking at the IP info on most of the emails indicate they originate from countries outwith the reach of most legal systems unfortunately...

A simple rule to follow is never click a link in an e.mail for any bank/paypal/ebay etc where the site your going to already has personal details stored or is asking for personal details.

Always type the address directly into the browser - don't even copy and paste.

A simple rule to follow is never click a link in an e.mail for any bank/paypal/ebay etc where the site your going to already has personal details stored or is asking for personal details.

Always type the address directly into the browser - don't even copy and paste.

A rule which is sadly not followed by most users here... :rotflmao: