FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

What was yer first motor?

Yompa

interesting and completely irrelevant piece of trivia ... the number plate in the UK is registered to the car, and when you sell it, the number plate usually goes too .... over here the 'plate' is registered to the user and you take them with you when you change cars :003:

• 2 weeks later...

A sexy MGBGT in dark blue...Reg SWW 911L God I loved that car. Pity it looked better than it performed  (bit like Foxy!) Was always breaking down but it did give me lots of chances to stand looking helpless hoping for roadside assisstance!!

This is only OK on this board!!

I learnt to drive in an ex- police car ST9999 - a Wolsley 16hp - (most modern cars would fit inside the bonnet) - running boards - real leather and teak all round. It was owned by the MacLeod family at the 'new houses' at the Culcabock entrance to the Barracks.

Stretch limo before they came into fashion.

I have had a big Volvo and also a big Rover in the recent past and I do feel that it was only trying to enjoy the thrill from way back then!!

• 2 weeks later...

A 1969 Hillman Imp. The brakes had a tendency to sieze up completely if not driven for more than about 18 hours.

Purchased for £130 and sold for a modest profit. The first and last time I ever managed to sell a car for more than I paid for it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bob the dog

Austin A40 bought from Macrae & **** 5345VW. Shows you how old I am !

Mine was an Austin A40 as well 9387 PU sky blue. What a car!!

In 1959 bought a 1935 MG open tourer from some sharpie garage in Norbury South London.. Yellow with red upholstery--dazzled the young man's eyes I can tell you. Paid 100 quid and it broke down at the first traffic lights--trudged back to sharpie and demanded money back--settled for 50 quid and a black look.

I was utterly penniless at the time being paid only 500 pounds a YEAR by the Royal Bank of Scotland whilst staying in Streatham, S.London.

Moved to a Morris minor which did sterling service.Then a Vauhhall Viva SL 90 which was a terrific small car---once did 100 mph on the Glasgow to Edinburgh freeway and thought I was just flying. Sold it for  a large impressive-looking Vanden Plas Princess with a Rolls Royce 4litreR engine-strangely this one did not have a great torque but it sure rode well.

Then Canada and my cars included a beautiful-looking Pontiac Grand Prix , then mostly new Honda Civics every other year, a Ford 250 Truck (smallish truck for Canada but had guts and great acceleration), and finally a Plymouth (now Dodge )fully-loaded  minivan with a 3.3 litre engine which has proved to be the most comfortable and powerful of them all. Wife has a 2003 Hyundai Accent  which has good MPG but sparse on comfort--peppy engine though on the freeway once you get the revs up.

No use resting a car, work it hard and if nothing collapses then you can get a lot of mileage out of it--doesn't do to leave it idle in the garage or drive it slowly-it just coughs & slutters. :003: