FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

How kind

tm4tj

Of the Scottish News of the World to give out free DVD's of the 2-3 victory over the Auld enemy at Wembley in 1967. We were unofficial world champions, the first team to topple England after that fateful day in '66, how appropriate to issue this just the week before the world cup starts. Those were the days when Scotland had quality players, Law, Baxter, Bremner, Gemmill, yes young people, we did have the quality and the passion for it.

bring it on.

It was one of the first things I downloaded after I got broadband - then I lent it out to someone who's kept it. So even I bought the NOTW today! Great match :005:

Guest Bonzo

It does make me laugh though.

So many Scots blame their hatred of the England football team on the way their supporters constantly bleat on about past victories - in particular the World Cup win in 1966.

Yet this is totally overshadowed by us Scots bleating on about a win in what was, lets face it, a meaningless, one-off, friendly match in the same year.

Makes us look a tad foolish don't you think?

It does make me laugh though.

So many Scots blame their hatred of the England football team on the way their supporters constantly bleat on about past victories - in particular the World Cup win in 1966.

Yet this is totally overshadowed by us Scots bleating on about a win in what was, lets face it, a meaningless, one-off, friendly match in the same year.

Makes us look a tad foolish don't you think?

Meaningless one-off fecking friendly? What the feck do you mean? It was the Home international series we won so convincingly that year. (1967) That was an annual tournament staged between N Ireland, Wales, Scotland & Engand...

It certainly meant something to the 100k plus who used to be at Hamden or Wembley every year...

It was scrapped in the eighties thanks to ENGLISH fecking football hooligans.....

:018: :018: :018: :018:

Guest Bonzo

yeah, yeah, ..... so it was thirty-nine years ago, not forty.

Hardly makes it significantly more recent, does it?

It helps to remove your head from your erse when watching and discussing football Bonzo!

If we ever get to the stage of referring to this match EVERY time Scotland take the field then your criticism would be welcome. If we even once mention this match when neither of the two sides are playing then a good skelp would be approprate. If we ever appear to arrogantly assume that it is our god given right to win every match we play (and believe me, she doesn't work along those lines) then just kill us and be done with it. But until then, FECK OFF and work on your sense of perspective :001:

This world cup I hadn't really got caught up in the anti- English thing (too much). Certainly not as much in previous years.

However last night I watched a programme on Sky. Greatest world cup goals or whatever presented by Sean Locke. Every goal against Scotland was finished off with a sarcastic " Byeeee"

So now I am riled. I can't wait for England to get ferked and this DVD will be played every day until I can say "Byeeeee" to them !

I seen that too MG - he did the 'byeee' thing once to the english at the end, think it was after Maradonna's 2nd in '86. Either way still an irritating **** of a person who spoilt what could have been an enjoyable programme.

Mee.... :015: :015: :021:

Guest Bonzo

It helps to remove your head from your erse when watching and discussing football Bonzo!

If we ever get to the stage of referring to this match EVERY time Scotland take the field then your criticism would be welcome. If we even once mention this match when neither of the two sides are playing then a good skelp would be approprate. If we ever appear to arrogantly assume that it is our god given right to win every match we play (and believe me, she doesn't work along those lines) then just kill us and be done with it. But until then, FECK OFF and work on your sense of perspective :001:

I assume from this rant that you believe this is how the average England supporter feels about his (or her) team?

If so, then I'm sorry - but it is your own sense of perspective which is perhaps lacking.

The English are not so arrogant or confident about their teams prospects - indeed the common feeling is that they have a tactically poor coach who has made some errors in his squad selection.

Despite that they, and the British media, should quite rightly try to get behind England in this competition.

Sure, some England supporters bring up 1966 at the start of a World Cup campaign.

And why not?

We would do exactly the same - as is made evident by the way we bring up the 1967 match.

Football supporters will always have fond memories of past glories.

My point is simply that we bemoan England celebrating the memory of 1966 - while we ouselves celeberate a lesser memory from the same era.

Guest Bonzo

Are you renewing your season ticket at Ibrox then? :017:

So very wrong Mr Beastie. I have never held any connections with Rangers - I have a deep dislike for the Club, primarily because of the sectarianism and hatred they spout.

The world of Scottish Football is, thankfully, not so black and white.

The difference is, the only people who hear about our win in 1967 are ourselves (plus a few unfortunate souls (but otherwise very fortunate) who have chosen to live here.

Because of the way the 'British' media are controlled, we have no choice but to hear about 1966, even in matches involving two other nations, or even in another sport.

Even in the Champions' League Final the other week, we had to listen to that muppet Tyldesley comparing Ronaldinho to Johnny Wilkinson FFS!

BTW that game in 1967 was a right good game of football.