FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Possible Centre-back Signings

Renegade

ICT are in desperate need of a real replacement for the great Darren Dods. What are your suggestions?

One of mine is 6"4 former New Zealand captain Danny Hay. Big, a leader, expreience from playing with Leeds and Walsall. Perfect.

Another is Dave McKay from Livingston. Fairly big, played in the SPL with Dundee and also in England with Oxford. Could be good.

Robbie Raeside, South African centre-back for Arbroath and described by Garry Wood would as the toughest opponent he played against last season.

And finally Kevin Muscat. Leader, very good defender, experienced, versatile, strong, always entertaining. He can single-handedly replace Darren Dods, Black and Cowie as he can play right-back, centre-back, right-wing and centre-midfield. Aussie league also finishes in January so he could be loaned in. Sign him up Brewster!

Edited by Renegade

Yep, desperate need for a centre-back. Unfortunately, now we also need a creative right midfielder, a midfield general and an experienced striker at the very least. I can't see us recovering unless the directors are talking prices near the million mark (which I'm sure they're not).

Muscat is a thug and he's 35

Raeside is 36 and has played most of his football in the lower divisions

Hay played maybe 6 times for Leeds and is another in his mid 30s who played most of his football in very poor leagues

Mackays carreer has been on a downward spiral for years now

I'd like to think we should be aiming a little higher than this lot .

I have no idea who we'll be signing and I agree everyone renengade suggested is garbage. But I guarantee we sign someone worse than them if anyone at all.

I mean we were looking at ritchie byrne, that says everything about the quality of player we're looking at. Players like that will not keep us up or get us promoted again from the 1st!!!

Muscat is a thug and he's 35

Muscat may be 35, but he's a great passer of ball, a leader on the pitch and a world class penalty taker. He's also currently better than any defender ICT have ever had, including Darren Dods. And he may have had his moments, through the years, but who wouldn't want to see

done to Gordon Strachan? Edited by Renegade

ICT are in desperate need of a real replacement for the great Darren Dods. What are your suggestions?

One of mine is 6"4 former New Zealand captain Danny Hay. Big, a leader, expreience from playing with Leeds and Walsall. Perfect.

Another is Dave McKay from Livingston. Fairly big, played in the SPL with Dundee and also in England with Oxford. Could be good.

Robbie Raeside, South African centre-back for Arbroath and described by Garry Wood would as the toughest opponent he played against last season.

And finally Kevin Muscat. Leader, very good defender, experienced, versatile, strong, always entertaining. He can single-handedly replace Darren Dods, Black and Cowie as he can play right-back, centre-back, right-wing and centre-midfield. Aussie league also finishes in January so he could be loaned in. Sign him up Brewster!

Give me a break.

Danny Hay is 104 years of age, couldn't hack it playing for NZ in the A-League and is currently playing 8th Div in New Zealand.

Muscat is much younger, about 83, and in his second last year with Melbourne Victory before retiring. He is only competitive because the A-League is played in Summer here with most games played in 25C - 30C (except for NZ which is strangley exempt from global warming)

Robbie Raesdale is alos about 65 - how about recommending a player without a Bus Pass

Get a grip. Muscat is an old man who fights on the pitch because thats all he can do.

I agree Dave Mackay would be a good signing. Could may'be try and get a premiership player on loan.

Marvin Andrews is a free atm but i'm guessing his good days are well past him.

Okay, okay I see that the Muscat suggestion isn't the most popular, I would've added the possibility of loaning in Craig Moore (who's still really good BTW) when the A League finishes, but with him recently getting over cancer, I can't see him leaving Queensland Roar anytime soon. This Graham Gartland ICT are possibly after could be good though as he seems very popular in Ireland.

Danny Hay is 104 years of age, couldn't hack it playing for NZ in the A-League and is currently playing 8th Div in New Zealand.

Wasn't he playing in the Club World Cup a couple of weeks ago for Waitakere United. Hardly NZ 8th division is it?

Ha ha. Ok, lets go down 20 years or so..

Alex Pearce (20) (Reading/Southampton loan) Centre back. On loan at St Marys until Jan 1st. Played 7 games. Looks like a strong guy, in U21 Scotland squad, 6ft.

I suspect that Reading see him as one for the future and would like to retain him on their books.

True enough. But if Southampton drag their feet perhaps we could have a loan of him til end of season?

English teams are often somewhat unwilling to loan players of quality cross border as it would have to be til the end of the season. Southgate was unwilling to loan that young left winger to rangers because of this. Loaning to another English team and he can have him back in 3 months(or whatever the loan term is) 2ndly its doubtful Reading would loan him to a team other than Southhamton if he has already been on loan there. If they had a defensive crisis they wouldnt be able to play him as players unable to play for 3 clubs in the same year etc.

Muscat is surely a joke suggestion. As really are any of the A league players quoted. They're all either over the hill or not good enough.

Has Steven Pressleys contract at Randers not ended (sure it was short term till winter) He's probably over the hill too but at least he knows the SPL inside out. Hang on, wait a minute. We could offer him a player manager job eh? He's in with the Scotland lot too. Could be able to get names in and contacts. And SFA favours.

Scott Wilson is a decent shout. At least he's been in the division. We should look at the teams with the best defences and start there.

I really cant think of any 1st divison defenders that really stand out. Then again i no longer really follow that division - maybe i should start soon.:rotflmao:

Anyway rules for our central defensive signings under Brew are simple. You can either not defend, not play there, or both. Sadly all suggests fail to meet these quota

An interesting idea,

Dundee have the meanest defence even though they are 9th. Kyle Benedictus won young player of the month award for November, only played 3 games, but just signed a new contract. Darren Williams in central defence is 31, Eddie Malone is the left back, 23, and has started almost all their games. Right back is Michael Paton, again starting most games. Gary MacKenzie, 23 seems to be the highest rated, ex-Rangers, last season Dundee conceded only 30 and he was "at the heart of the defence"

What a nice man :rotflmao:

Firstly, it was a joke.

Secondly, I hold a doctorate in wildlife conservation. I travel around the world all-expenses paid due to my expertise. I work only a few months a year for which I'm well paid and spend most of my time relaxing in sunny locations. So, if I'm a pleb, what does that make you?

Thirdly, if serious, it would depend when we bought. Right at the death of the transfer window means they'd struggle to buy anyone else but may fear relegation enough to cash in.

True enough. But if Southampton drag their feet perhaps we could have a loan of him til end of season?

English teams are often somewhat unwilling to loan players of quality cross border as it would have to be til the end of the season.

where did you hear that??? Warren Feeney, Roy O'Donavan and Willo Flood all on loan at United can be recalled in January by their clubs. Also if you remember The Gunners took Tony Stokes back from Falkirk so they could sell him to Sunderland a couple of years ago. I think their is some rule but it only applies to players below a certain age.

Okay, okay I see that the Muscat suggestion isn't the most popular, I would've added the possibility of loaning in Craig Moore (who's still really good BTW) when the A League finishes, but with him recently getting over cancer, I can't see him leaving Queensland Roar anytime soon. This Graham Gartland ICT are possibly after could be good though as he seems very popular in Ireland.

looks like Gartland has signed for St Johnstone despite SPL interest, embarassing if it was us that was interested!