FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Lochaber No More

Kingsmills

According to today's Press & Journal, Fort William FC are at serious risk of being unable to start the season due to funding and organisational problems. There is a suggestion that Turriff United may be waiting in the wings to take their place in the Highland League.

I know that the Fort are not one of the league's traditional established teams but their demise would be a huge setback for football in that shinty stronghold.

Their replacement by yet another Aberdeenshire team would see the axis of the Highland League move east yet again to the point where the prefix Highland is becoming somewhat of a misnomer. Surely here is a team in the populous part of Easter Ross with sufficient ambition to want to challenge Turriff for any vacancy which may unfortunately arise.

Guest kingkojak

aye - i agree kingsmills.  would it be a viable option for ICT or c*unty to play a reserve team in the highland league?

Was there not also a problem, due to squad sizes being tight and if players were needed for the senior team that anyone registered for the HL would be unable to play in the SFL/SPL?

I remember us being keen on the idea as the general opinion at the time was that the HL would be a better level for young / reserve players than the reserve league.

Guest kingkojak

feck clach,  they opted to miss the boat and stay in the highland league rather than join in the amalgamation.  if ICT are able and want to enter a team in the HL then they should do it.  Having a representation in the HL league could only be of benefit to the club! 

it would act as the perfect training for young lads making their way up to the first team