FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Raith -V- ICT : matchnight thread

Scotty

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just back and settled. Hard to believe i travelled a 280 mile round trip to see inverness play at home on saturday(granted i did have a night out and stay over), then i had a 12 mile round trip tonight. Love midweek games!!

Anyway, first half...not poor, but we were getting broked down and Raith were doing quite well. Granty having a great game again and nothing getting past him. Anyone else notice he won every singe header he was on tonight? Keeps impressing me. Defence was rather shaky, but not often! Could hardly play in midfield alot as they were chasing us down non stop.

Second half we started alot better, couple of chances in first couple of minutes, although Raith had their own chances aswell. Imrie was doing well, catching Raith on the counter attack.

Sanchez came on and i think he did really well. Was calm on the ball, and had a couple of good shots.

So glad the goal came. I couldnt stand having a draw to go home to! It was like a totally different team after the goal....we passed it, were calm, and had the most chances we had all night. Why cant we play like that all the time?Well done all involved, but seriously, PLAY LIKE THAT IN THE SECOND HALF AT HOME! We should be beating Dunfermline again, but form says not.....well bugger form, lets do it!!!

After a win tonight, i may well be up for the trip up again! Please dont make me hate you again if i do!!

CALEY!!

Good win, would have been happy with a draw but Saturday is still a must win game. A win at home will ease pressure on butcher for sure and ill even give him til maybe january to get a good run together. A win at home will calm all the fans down a bit and atleast we will have that monkey off our backs

Just back, soaked to the bone. Shocking first half too many hoofs and loose passes. 2nd half was much better, especially when Dani came on, he looked well up for it. Bulvitis is a nightmare though and Cox is very average. Tokely looked unfit? Anyway excellent pie and oh Darren Dods was there too....

Roll on Saturday

Very happy to come away with a win tonight. And so were the players - you could see it meant an awful lot to them at the end, with lots of hugging and applauding the fans. The support wasn't great - about 100, and we were very quiet until the goal. Darren Dods was in our end though, keeping himself to himself.

We lined up what seemed to be a clear 4-5-1 to me, with Hayes on the left and Proctor on the right. Duncan and Cox were obviously in the middle and that's where Imrie was too at this stage. In the second half though he pushed up a lot more and I'd say we were a 4-4-2.

The first half was characterised by us hoofing the ball high up the park at every opportunity, whilst Raith played a bit of football on the deck. A bit embarrassing to be honest. Munro's defending and ball winning was very good, but the aimless hoofing...aaargh! On a few occasions Granty seemed concerned about Bulvitis, and clearly the fans are not the only one lacking confidence in Nauris.

I thought Raith had earned a penalty when their man, with back to goal, received the ball and turned his defender. Couldn't believe our luck when he got a yellow for diving, but others chanted "cheat...cheat....cheat". A minute later we had a faint penalty shout when Imrie(?) when down under a challenge from the keeper and it was the Raith fans' turn to start that chant. At half time I was content not to be losing, but neither side had any clear cut chances.

I applaud Butcher for whatever he did at half time, because we improved significantly after the break, resulting in some definite outbreaks of passing between our players. Imrie, who had been full of bite and determination if no result, was replaced by Sanchez.

All of a sudden we became a real attacking threat, with Sanchez being instrumental in turning any midfield possession into chances to penetrate the Raith defence. For the first time, I was very impressed with him. Where we had previous been lumping it up to the tireless Foran to win in the air, Sanchez was receiving a huge number of passes, controlled every one of them, and usually kept the attack going. We were starting to cut through now.

The goal came after Foran went off for Rooney, and we had abandoned the long ball. Getting the ball on the edge of the box, Rooney somehow managed to run right through his defender and had a chance against the onrushing keeper. I was hoping he'd get brought down by on or both of them as there was no space to get a shot in, but his effort to go round the keeper resulted in the ball getting pushed back to Proctor who simply rolled it into the empty net.

We had a few more opportunities on the break to kill it off, none more so than when Rooney was played in and had his poked effort well tipped round for a corner.

Relief and in the stand and on the pitch when the whistle went. I'm not sure if we totally deserved the win, particularly after the first half, but Raith never had any clear chances, and the more the game went on the better we got.

It's got to be said that from start to finish, the commitment from the players was evident, and we won the vast majority of 50:50 balls. Whatever Terry said to the players after Saturday got a response, and his substitutions worked a treat too. Maybe there is hope after all.

It really is totally feckin' weird the way our guys play away from home....

All the regular home supporters should stay away on Saturday, and offer to pay for the central belt folks to make the trip up here.

Good report Yngwie...

Edited by Johnboy

Just back.. First half as mentioned was dire stuff ,passing was shocking and long 50/50 balls upfield, Esson had a great save from a fierce shot diving to his right. Second half much better passing was sharper but shot-shy up front.

Goal was bit scrappy to say the least but lifted moral and started to believe in themselves Hopefully can take the improvement onto the field on Saturday, ( Fingers crossed )

I agree with what Yngwie has posted. Will only add that even though I started the chant of "Cheat" after their man got booked for a dive....I thought we were very fortunate that it wasn't a penalty. Unfair perhaps, but it's the job of the fans to try and sway the ref in these situations and I would say "Job Done" tonight...lol.

I also have to admit to a few choice comments about Proctor being started in midfield....but I'm man enough to admit that he made me eat my words, all of them. Strong contender for my MotM tonight with his goal edging him ahead of Rossco who I thought was absolutely solid at the back and effective going forward.

Sanchez impressed, but I still think he should be a little more confident and try taking on a defender every now and again. A couple of times tonight he had clear space in front of him and passed wide instead, he needs to be spotting and exploiting these opportunities more. Not a criticism, more of an observation.

Still can't work out what motivated me to go tonight....but glad I did. Wasn't the most exciting of games, but as has been said already, the team showed a real desire to compete for the 90 minutes, and that'll do for me.

I thought we did well in the second half, although Raith had their chances - Esson made a great save in the second half. We certainly looked more dangerous with Sanchez on and probably had more chances overall. Good finish from Proctor for the goal.

Very happy to come away with a win tonight. And so were the players - you could see it meant an awful lot to them at the end, with lots of hugging and applauding the fans. The support wasn't great - about 100, and we were very quiet until the goal. Darren Dods was in our end though, keeping himself to himself.

We lined up what seemed to be a clear 4-5-1 to me, with Hayes on the left and Proctor on the right. Duncan and Cox were obviously in the middle and that's where Imrie was too at this stage. In the second half though he pushed up a lot more and I'd say we were a 4-4-2.

The first half was characterised by us hoofing the ball high up the park at every opportunity, whilst Raith played a bit of football on the deck. A bit embarrassing to be honest. Munro's defending and ball winning was very good, but the aimless hoofing...aaargh! On a few occasions Granty seemed concerned about Bulvitis, and clearly the fans are not the only one lacking confidence in Nauris.

I thought Raith had earned a penalty when their man, with back to goal, received the ball and turned his defender. Couldn't believe our luck when he got a yellow for diving, but others chanted "cheat...cheat....cheat". A minute later we had a faint penalty shout when Imrie(?) when down under a challenge from the keeper and it was the Raith fans' turn to start that chant. At half time I was content not to be losing, but neither side had any clear cut chances.

I applaud Butcher for whatever he did at half time, because we improved significantly after the break, resulting in some definite outbreaks of passing between our players. Imrie, who had been full of bite and determination if no result, was replaced by Sanchez.

All of a sudden we became a real attacking threat, with Sanchez being instrumental in turning any midfield possession into chances to penetrate the Raith defence. For the first time, I was very impressed with him. Where we had previous been lumping it up to the tireless Foran to win in the air, Sanchez was receiving a huge number of passes, controlled every one of them, and usually kept the attack going. We were starting to cut through now.

The goal came after Foran went off for Rooney, and we had abandoned the long ball. Getting the ball on the edge of the box, Rooney somehow managed to run right through his defender and had a chance against the onrushing keeper. I was hoping he'd get brought down by on or both of them as there was no space to get a shot in, but his effort to go round the keeper resulted in the ball getting pushed back to Proctor who simply rolled it into the empty net.

We had a few more opportunities on the break to kill it off, none more so than when Rooney was played in and had his poked effort well tipped round for a corner.

Relief and in the stand and on the pitch when the whistle went. I'm not sure if we totally deserved the win, particularly after the first half, but Raith never had any clear chances, and the more the game went on the better we got.

It's got to be said that from start to finish, the commitment from the players was evident, and we won the vast majority of 50:50 balls. Whatever Terry said to the players after Saturday got a response, and his substitutions worked a treat too. Maybe there is hope after all.

Great report. Very inspiring.

All the regular home supporters should stay away on Saturday, and offer to pay for the central belt folks to make the trip up here.

Or, and this is totally out of the blue, the Home support actually support the team instead of booing them after one mistake? Getting behind the team can work wonders but unfortunately the Home crowd prefer to chastise and berate our players instead of actually getting behind them.

Or, and this is totally out of the blue, the Home support actually support the team instead of booing them after one mistake? Getting behind the team can work wonders but unfortunately the Home crowd prefer to chastise and berate our players instead of actually getting behind them.

That's one of the things I was trying to highlight in my letter to Mike Smith... there is a severe lack of positivity at TCS and I think a lot of that comes from the way the stewards guard against any movment/squeak from the fans. I am getting sick of travelling to Inverness for games and I never thought I'd say that...

Agree pretty much with everything Yngwie has said. Sanchez did make a difference when he came on: when he's up for it, he looks our most genuinely creative player, making space and seeing passes that others don't. On that form he's got to start, but I don't know whether it should be off a main striker, or whether Butcher should risk playing him in midfield. Certainly in the first half we were crying out for someone in midfield to put his foot on the ball and dictate play properly: Cox and Duncan worked hard but it all looked very hurried. I worry, though, that playing deeper Sanchez would get bullied off the ball.

A word of caution for the weekend: the poor standard of our football in the first half last night looked to be down to a collective lack of confidence. Individually all the players fought for every ball, but whenever an ICT player was in possession he seemed desperate to get rid of it, while no-one else seemed to be shouting or making decent runs; hence the return of the punt. Raith, by contrast, seemed far more confident and their off-the-ball running led to much slicker and more dangerous build-up play. Butcher obviously did his job at half time, as the players came out looking far more confident, with Imrie, Hayes and Duncan looking to get on the ball and Tokely and Proctor both coming forward far more effectively. It took a couple of good substititions, but we got our reward for this eventually. However, if we want to build on this win, the home support MUST get behind the team on Saturday, even if individuals make mistakes: we're far more likely to win with a team that makes the odd error but keeps fighting than with players who start hiding because they are scared of the reaction if they make a mistake or something doesn't come off.

So glad we got the won last night. Was much needed for everyone associated with ICT.

Was at a party last night with a load of old firm fans telling me how garbage we were and how we would get smashed by Raith...wrong.

I think Tel got the team right and it would was good to see Imrie play and also good to hear about Sanchez making such a positive impact from the bench and at least Tel was man enough to drop the under-par Eagle.

I now look forward to Saturday a little more than originally so lets see if we can string 2 wins together.

I think Tel got the team right and it would was good to see Imrie play and also good to hear about Sanchez making such a positive impact from the bench and at least Tel was man enough to drop the under-par Eagle.

Under par Eagle!!!!

Very good!

:ohmy:

Under par Eagle!!!!

Very good!

:ohmy:

Thank you.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8306028.stm

intresting interview with TB from last night.

Agree pretty much with everything Yngwie has said. Sanchez did make a difference when he came on: when he's up for it, he looks our most genuinely creative player, making space and seeing passes that others don't. On that form he's got to start, but I don't know whether it should be off a main striker, or whether Butcher should risk playing him in midfield. Certainly in the first half we were crying out for someone in midfield to put his foot on the ball and dictate play properly: Cox and Duncan worked hard but it all looked very hurried. I worry, though, that playing deeper Sanchez would get bullied off the ball.

A word of caution for the weekend: the poor standard of our football in the first half last night looked to be down to a collective lack of confidence. Individually all the players fought for every ball, but whenever an ICT player was in possession he seemed desperate to get rid of it, while no-one else seemed to be shouting or making decent runs; hence the return of the punt. Raith, by contrast, seemed far more confident and their off-the-ball running led to much slicker and more dangerous build-up play. Butcher obviously did his job at half time, as the players came out looking far more confident, with Imrie, Hayes and Duncan looking to get on the ball and Tokely and Proctor both coming forward far more effectively. It took a couple of good substititions, but we got our reward for this eventually. However, if we want to build on this win, the home support MUST get behind the team on Saturday, even if individuals make mistakes: we're far more likely to win with a team that makes the odd error but keeps fighting than with players who start hiding because they are scared of the reaction if they make a mistake or something doesn't come off.

Well said :ohmy::lol: :025: i totally agree

I would love it if he had just replied with a letter saying:

"Dear Mr. Chibber,

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Yours sincerely,

Mike Smith"

To be fair to the guy he gets a fair bit of stick on this forum but at least he had the decency to send a detailed reply to every question I put to him. I disagreed with a lot of his points of view but he had an explanation for his opinions and that's all you can ask.

Possibly for the rumour mill but why do you think Dods was at the game? Is he still getting a game for United?

Nothing for rumour Harry. I've seen Darren at other games. He often goes to watch local matches.

As for the game I cant add anything that hasn't been said already. Great three points. I do, however, wonder if Rooney needs some attention from IHE. It seems to me that when he's in on goal some psychological barrier comes up and he bottles it.

Possibly for the rumour mill but why do you think Dods was at the game? Is he still getting a game for United?

Nothing for rumour Harry. I've seen Darren at other games. He often goes to watch local matches.

As for the game I cant add anything that hasn't been said already. Great three points. I do, however, wonder if Rooney needs some attention from IHE. It seems to me that when he's in on goal some psychological barrier comes up and he bottles it.

Whats ur problem with Rooney ? Only for him last night we would not have got the goal. The only problem Rooney has is not getting enough time on the pitch.

Whats ur problem with Rooney ? Only for him last night we would not have got the goal. The only problem Rooney has is not getting enough time on the pitch.

Given enough time of the pitch Rooney will be our top scorer. He needs to tweak his game though.

Good interview with Terry. The interviewer knows what is going on and asked good questions, which to his credit TB took head on. He doesn't sound as lost as Brewster, but then again his record is much better than Brews. But he is right in highlighting the need for good home performances to get the fans on track, away ones are an extra.