FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Alba Telly

Heilandee

Just finished watching a recording of Dundee/QoS. Queens were very hard done by with the penalty and sending off, but did really well to stop Dee getting all three points. Big thanks to them - could have done us a massive favour with that hard fought point.

Still bugs me watching/listening to these Gaelic pratts chunter away in a language that sounds remarkably like Swahili, but yet can revert to perfect Queen's English, when interviewing the likes of Chisholm, Brannigan or Alex Rae.

Why not just do the whole feckin thing in English?

I'm writing to the BBC to complain that they're discriminating against English speaking football fans with this crap.

Just finished watching a recording of Dundee/QoS. Queens were very hard done by with the penalty and sending off, but did really well to stop Dee getting all three points. Big thanks to them - could have done us a massive favour with that hard fought point.

Still bugs me watching/listening to these Gaelic pratts chunter away in a language that sounds remarkably like Swahili, but yet can revert to perfect Queen's English, when interviewing the likes of Chisholm, Brannigan or Alex Rae.

I'm writing to the BBC to complain that they're discriminating against English speaking football fans with this crap.

Johnboy, with your repetitive moans about BBC Alba you are becoming a boring old fart.

JB what's up?

Used to agree with you nearly all the time but now your sounded like a very unhappy chappie with alarming regularity. Accept the fact that Gaelic is part of our culture, a big part for many, and be happy that at long last something is being done to promote the language for those who care.

Oh and stop being so crabbit :004:

Gaelic or no,it was great to be able to see the game live and i easily blocked out the foreign commentary (shame the result wasnt better) Thought the camera work and presentaion was very professional and if Alba are the only Telly company prepared to cover lower division footy, so be it, we'll just need to indulge them for our own benifit i spose.

JB what's up?

Used to agree with you nearly all the time but now your sounded like a very unhappy chappie with alarming regularity. Accept the fact that Gaelic is part of our culture, a big part for many, and be happy that at long last something is being done to promote the language for those who care.

Oh and stop being so crabbit :004:

Thanks for the support - I like JB really!

The normal BBC Scotland guys would have been resposible for filming the game. I (watched a recording of the game) thought Queens were very hard done by, with the penalty and the sending off. It might have been interesting to hear what the commentary boys made of that incident, but unfortunately only around 1% of last night's viewers + Sorted's kids were privy to that information!

Sadly, I think that this station's days are now numbered. They only achieve respectable viewing figures when they are showing football. Why can't they accept that the vast majority of their football programme viewers understand hardly a word of the Gaelic language, and care even less about promoting it.

I think the station might even survive - if they accepted that programmes like live football would have a much greater appeal if the commentaries were broadcast in a language that most of us can understand. They could still have their half-time pundits/summarisers, etc, discuss the game in Gaelic for the benefit of the channel's regular viewers.

Thought the camera work and presentaion was very professional

The limited budget is apparent though. They don't do much in the way of replays of incidents/chances.

Agreed, but with the budgets involved i was impressed,shame they have been knocked back again from going on Freeview, which i would have thought was the obviuos platform for Alba. I think they should loosen the Gaelic only grip and move to a more general Celtic channel encompasing all areas of Scottish heritage and broadening the appeal.

edited to add.. Kinell JB, we nearly agree on something :004:

Edited by Heilandee

Or they could do what occasionally happens in Wales where there is the choice of which language you want to hear the game in by pressing the red button.

Only seen the last few minutes of it but I would have liked to have understood what they thought of the decision four and a half minutes into three minutes of added on time.

Agreed, but with the budgets involved i was impressed,shame they have been knocked back again from going on Freeview, which i would have thought was the obviuos platform for Alba. I think they should loosen the Gaelic only grip and move to a more general Celtic channel encompasing all areas of Scottish heritage and broadening the appeal.

Agreed... That would make a lot of sense.

Actually I have a confession to make :

I watch BBC Alba quite often, but only because I'm madly in love with Kathy McDonald. She was a neighbour of mine some years ago in Dunfermline....

:004:

I thought the filming was very high quality better than sportscene really, and the closing sequence was superb. Johnboy I think you would be better to ask bbc scotland to cover div 1 games rather than complain about bbc alba all the time it is after all doing what it is set up for which is gaelic programmes. I don't speak gaelic but I have no issue with those who do, I do think the dual road signs are a waste of time and especially insulting to those in Caithness or aberdeenshire, but I dont grudge them a telly channel.

Johnboy, with your repetitive moans about BBC Alba you are becoming a boring old fart.

Well done, DAM....

Shame you can't come up with anything more constructive than that.

I'll try and be more constructive then. I think we're quite fortunate to be able to see live football and I side with Alba for that. Personally I find the commentators quite irritating and I simply hit the mute button irrespective of which language is spoken including English. I prefer to follow the action without sound - I know where the ball should be going, I can see a mis-placed pass, a good save or whatever. I can read the game, I don't need some self-styled "expert" to explain events to me. For anyone who follows football I can't understand for the life of me why the likes of Alan Hanson has to explain to me what I have just watched. The exception is radio commentary obviously. I don't complain to some Spanish or Arabic channel just because I don't understand the language. I just happen to think you're reading too much into Gaelic commentary.

By the way, don't take my previous comment to heart.