FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Charlie Christie

Mrs Pauliebee

I don't wish to bash CC - that's not my intention at all, but............

There's a few things that annoy me about him.

Why does he not pat the players on the back after taking someone off when making a sub?

We sit right beside the away dug out and so far every other manager has done it.

Surely it's basic team morale building!  Can't feel good to them to get taken off, with no signal

from the manager at all.  Fair enough if the player has had a howler and thrown a tantrum, but he blanks them everytime!

For the cup games, we've made a point of moving around the main stand to try to get a different

point of view.  I have to be honest, CC stands with his arms crossed and is barely animated.  Parkie on the otherhand

is up and down, screaming his lungs out and looks like he's about to expode!  At first I though it was good cop

bad cop, CC may have his own mannerisms and when he does shout the players know it's serious!

But last night, even DP stayed in the dugout, competely frustated! 

It's nights like last night that make you want to chuck yout season ticket over the Kessock!

A very deflated

Mrs PB

:007: :007: :007:

It's a good question, Mrs PB......  Goals will only come from a much improved team performance. Every man on the park will have to contribute more - what they must work on is the woeful passing that permeates through every single home game.... it's like they've never played on that surface before. And it's not only passing....  Too many seem to be incapable of receiving a pass - quickly bringing the ball under control, and making decent use of it. That's all pretty basic stuff. I wouldn't even try & single out anyone.... they are all guilty. It is a complete mystery to me how they are a totally different side away from home. Maybe they should be allowed to train or play more practice games at the ground.

They'll have to do something before serious disenchantment sets in.

Dargo will find his shooting boots, but needs better service from the midfield.  Long high balls to a small striker are no use.  Bayne can knock them down for him, but that just didn't work last night, but on another day they could have got a couple of goals.  Denzil is recovering from his injury and is hoping to get his sling off today.

You tell me where the goals are coming from then! :007:

Gary McSwegan.

Dargs will come good, he says in the P/J today he's confident it will turn round shortly - here's hoping.

Oh some good news, the Innes bar now serves JohnSmiths cold  :005: :005: :005: :005: :005:

They should sell Tiger!

Dargs will come good, he says in the P/J today he's confident it will turn round shortly

The difference between our scoring (or lack of it) this season compared to last season so far are the goals of Craig Brewster .... Dargo didnt start scoring until October and then couldnt stop whilst Brew hit something like 6 in 7 games at the start of the season .... if our current strikers cant score and McSwegan is fit then maybe he is worth a shot - see if one oldster can emulate our last one !!!

Guest Sandy Cromarty

It certainly was a game of two managers last night, while Charlie remained his usual stoical self Hughes ranted and raved, battered the dugout roof and generally lived the game, the result was there for all to see.

This is a thread which started off about Charlie Christie and moved to a discussion about our goalscoring potential.

To get it back on track:

Charlie has been a loyal servant to the club and is a well liked man.

However, he has no previous Management experience, as a player he was a very effective midfielder in the Highland League and Lower Divisions of the Scottish Football League.

Outside of the Highlands he is unknown.

While I feel Charlie should be given every opportunity to develop and prove his worth at ICT, I worry that this will be to the detriment of the club.

I worry also that sentimentality about Charlie would prevent the board from removing him as manager until after we were relegated.

I have already mentioned on here that I feel Charlie does not have the reputation and status required to bring players North.

I appreciate that this is a difficult task - given our geography and wage structure - but it is not impossible. John Robertson, with his high profile in the game, managed.

I am also a bit alarmed at Charlies reaction to this difficulty - ie the signing of McSwegan, and also the high price paid for Rankine.

The Club needs to show ambition.

We will survive on young managers and young players.

It is inevitable that those succeeding best will move on - but this is part and parcel of the modern game.

It is wrong to be drawn to an option promising stability - when that stability is afforded by a lack of potential interest by other clubs.

On a second point I am worried by the progress of the Club under Christie.

The partnership of Robertson and Park was superb for the club.

Brewster lived on the after effects of this - and contributed an extra element of fitness.

Sadly, the evidence so far suggests  that Christie may not be the man for the job.

The end of last season was good - possible due to a good, close squad of players running on auto pilot.

The evidence this season is that we are a very disorganised and tactically unaware side.

Players take the field with no apparent game plan or role.

We are in grave danger of entering a spiral of decline.

Should we just sit back and let it happen?

So poor old Charlie & Donald don't get any credit for the team's terrific finish to last season.... That was down to : Quote :  "A close squad of players running on auto pilot"... In other words if the teams playing well & winning matches they're running on auto pilot..... if they're playing crap and losing matches, it's all Charlie's fault......What bullsh*t.....

The fact that he may not be a houshold name "outside the Highlands" has no bearing whatsoever on his managerial capabilities.

Five games into a 44 game new season and already all you can see is a spiral of decline.....

Surely he should be allowed 1 full season in charge.....??

This is a thread which started off about Charlie Christie and moved to a discussion about our goalscoring potential.

To get it back on track:

Charlie has been a loyal servant to the club and is a well liked man.

However, he has no previous Management experience, as a player he was a very effective midfielder in the Highland League and Lower Divisions of the Scottish Football League.

Outside of the Highlands he is unknown.

While I feel Charlie should be given every opportunity to develop and prove his worth at ICT, I worry that this will be to the detriment of the club.

I worry also that sentimentality about Charlie would prevent the board from removing him as manager until after we were relegated.

I have already mentioned on here that I feel Charlie does not have the reputation and status required to bring players North.

I appreciate that this is a difficult task - given our geography and wage structure - but it is not impossible. John Robertson, with his high profile in the game, managed.

I am also a bit alarmed at Charlies reaction to this difficulty - ie the signing of McSwegan, and also the high price paid for Rankine.

The Club needs to show ambition.

We will survive on young managers and young players.

It is inevitable that those succeeding best will move on - but this is part and parcel of the modern game.

It is wrong to be drawn to an option promising stability - when that stability is afforded by a lack of potential interest by other clubs.

On a second point I am worried by the progress of the Club under Christie.

The partnership of Robertson and Park was superb for the club.

Brewster lived on the after effects of this - and contributed an extra element of fitness.

Sadly, the evidence so far suggests  that Christie may not be the man for the job.

The end of last season was good - possible due to a good, close squad of players running on auto pilot.

The evidence this season is that we are a very disorganised and tactically unaware side.

Players take the field with no apparent game plan or role.

We are in grave danger of entering a spiral of decline.

Should we just sit back and let it happen?

I've already gone through all this with you on a seperate thread and answered comprehensively against every point you have just decided to make again.... so do you actually want me to write up another response to this or are you just fond of repeating yourself??

A few points you made there Johnboy:

The issue I was raising about Charlie not having a high profile is purely to do with having the ability to entice young players Northwards. A manager with a high profile and with a good reputation in the game - either as a player, coach or manager - will always have a greater chance of success in that area.

It's a fact. John Robertson had that ability.

As for the analysis of the end of last season.

I really don't think it's valid to set too much store by that.

With our league set up some teams lose their bite and their will to gain points. We were buoyed by a new manager whaich gave our players an added spark at a time when other teams were jaded. Sure, it was a good run - and that may in part have been due to Christie, or at least to the relief the players showed to be shot of Brewster.

Whatever it was, we were a side playing under no pressure. Safe from relegation, safe in fact from dropping below 7th place.

And as for giving Christie a full season in charge.

I'm certain this will happen.

But it does mean that, if he can't prove his worth, there is a very good chance he will take us down.

I repeat that on Saturday and Wednesday we were tactically inept. Players did not have any role and semed to be running about with no plan, no shape and no leadership.

On Wednesday Mark Brown took a free kick from the edge of his box. The frustration on his face was obvious as ICT had eight players in the centre circle.

I am not here to slag Christie off.

I am a supporter of ICT.

And I am very concerned about the way this season seems to be headed.

I've already gone through all this with you on a seperate thread and answered comprehensively against every point you have just decided to make again.... so do you actually want me to write up another response to this or are you just fond of repeating yourself??

Harry. This was posted for reasonable and intelligent people to discuss rationally.

So, in answer to your question, no - I don't want any response from you.

I am aware that you believe that no criticism of Charlie Christie is valid under any circumstances - and I have no problem with that.

We are all entitled to our opinion - myself included.

I think, for once, that Bonzo makes some sense in what he say's but there is one or two facts he has omitted. Donald Park, Assistant HEAD Coach. High profile player and coach. Surely he has the contacts and ability to bring players north, if indeed there are any available. He and Charlie work together, have equal standing at the club so should he not be taking some of the flack that is being meted out here.

This team, under CC and DP, does play very well away from home so what is the problem at home. I dont really think its a management, or tactical, thing. I think its phsycological and would like to see the club bring in someone with the expertise to tackle this problem.

Maybe we need to totally rethink our home tactics. Maybe a change of formation 3-4-3 perhaps. I would try

Brown

Tokely Munro Hastings

Wilson Hart McBain Morgan

McAllister

Dargo                Bayne

Use the width of the pitch all the way forward with MacAllister running through the middle to pick up the crosses. But then I'm not a football tactician.

Obviously the tactics at home are to flood the midfield, which helps close down the opposition, but it certainly doesn't make for pretty football..... Away from home they generally make good use of the flanks - particularly Barry... look at the game against Mothersmell....

I'm no football tactician either, but I agree with Alex - it would make sense to adopt a different formation at home.... The set up they adopt away from home usually works very well for them.... Why not try it at home..?? Even if the results aren't that much better it might make it a wee bit more exciting for us long suffering supporters.....

Bonzo : Why do you think it so important to attract players from a wide area..?? The Highlands have a long tradition of producing players of a high standard. When Celtic won the European Cup in 1967 (not so long ago, really!) 10 of their team came from Glasgow.... there was only one foreigner.... keeper Ronnie Simpson, who came from Edinburgh....!!

The jury is still out on CC as a manager. I think he will come good. It's not as if we are sitting at the bottom of the league and CC himself made a good point pre-Utd, that being people saying Utd have had a good start to the season and us a mediocre one but we are above Utd!

Tactically, I don't see much of a problem. 8 players in the centre circle is when a captain should be putting a rocket up them, CC's work is done pre-match and during the week. We play a compact and explosive game away from home which is entertaining but other teams play similar when they play us... Home games are always about the away team sitting in and we don't really have players who unlock defences. Bingham and Juanjo were both here for that, is it any coincidence that we have struggled at home since they haven't been around? Hopefully Rankin can provide that but again, the jury is still out.

Harry. This was posted for reasonable and intelligent people to discuss rationally.

So, in answer to your question, no - I don't want any response from you.

I am aware that you believe that no criticism of Charlie Christie is valid under any circumstances - and I have no problem with that.

We are all entitled to our opinion - myself included.

The previous thread saying the exact same thing

Did you read one point that I posted on the other thread, I never once said that Christie was exempt from criticism but what I did say was that he deserves a chance to prove himself.  The whole and entire reason that the board hired him as manager was because our last 3 managers have fecked off to other clubs and we needed someone that would stay loyal to the club.  If I think that Christie deserves criticism I will give it out trust me but I am not going to start doubting him now waiting for the oppertunity to say "I told you so" if things don't work out for the club. 

From now on I'm just going to copy and paste my answers to these stupid posts because I just end up repeating myself

:008: :008: :008: :008:

Too many feckers posting on these threads who never see an away game.

Too many of the same feckers who go to home games and sit on their hands waiting for something to happen.

ICT is a club with very few resources whose rightful place logically should be div one. Every week these players punch above their weight.

Inverness doesn't deserve the feckin miracle that is ICT.

Lots of good points for and against CC with some people becoming quite animated and upset, I agree with lots of them on both sides as there are certainly plenty valid ones, my concern would be that outwith DP we are close becoming an old pals act up here with grassa, danny macdonald CC himself and even Scott Kellacher, If we are to move forward as a club I think we possibly need more influence from outwith Inverness to give a shove in the right direction, fingers crossed we won't be dragged into a relegation dogfight this season, and if CC reads any of these i do agree about him not being emotional enough during games and hope this might change a bit, Pele even looked wild compared with CC and we all know how quiet(Pi**ed) he was

carefree wherever we may be

we are the famous ICT

jagster, you say 'outwith DP'. Bear in mind DP began his professional career in Inverness. As for CC not being animated enough. Why should he dance around the tech area. Some of the great managers dont shout and bawl at their players during a game. Le Guen spends most of the time sitting in the dugout. Mourhinno doesnt show much emotion, nor does Wenger. They watch and weigh up whats going on. They treat their players with respect, not abuse them. Would any of the people posting here like it if their boss at work was bawling them out all the time. I think not. Players know, when they leave the tunnel, what their role is and should be carrying out that role. Trouble is they seem to be frightened to perform as we all know they can.

Sorry Alex I maybe wrote it wrong, I don,t expect CC to shout abuse at any player but as any boss worth his salt would know, encouragement is a great motivator and there seems to be very little of that coming onto the park outwith Dp, as for Dp I realize he's from up here but other than CCs ill fated stint at celtic, he has at least gained experience with hearts etc and I can,t help but feel that is something as a club we need more of, I can hear everyone now saying that time will gain us experience but everyone needs a little help on the way and as we all know time is precious.

P.S. Adding to my last message, I have never said CC should go and I for one don,t want him to go I just think a little more help for him to go through his 'apprenticeship' as a manager would be good, JR and CB did well in their first stints as managers, but that is not to say everyone can do it but long term hopefully CC can realize his potential and be one of the best.

I'm not arsed that Charlie doesn't pat the players on the back - the players are grown men, not bairns.  Roy Keane wrote in his autobiography that when he played for Nottingham Forest he made a mistake and at half time Brian Clough punched him in the face in the dressing room, it hardly did him or NFFC any harm.

Regarding Charlie, I think that BridgeEnder makes a good point (as usual).  Charlie is unproven but has had a decent time since taking over.  We do have a problem getting results at home, this pre-dates Charlie.  I think that we need, as has been said, to utilise wide areas better at home, although my opinion is based on second hand evidence as I can't make many home games anymore.