FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Tribute / Charity Walk

Joonya

As has been mentioned on the everest thread, someone suggested an event in tribute to the ICT fan who lost his life near the summit, wearing his ICT colours.

I have suggested a 'highland march style' walk from Skye, where Peter's family live, to the stadium, as well as an 'en mass' charity walk from Bught Park to the stadium.

I will be looking into this in more depth in the weeks leading up to the fixtures release. Anyone with further ideas or willing to take part, please post here.

I agree that his family's wishes must be a priority out of respect. I also think a climb would be more appropriate, how many Munros are visible from TCS? Would it be inconceivable to light a beacon on each on the first day of the season? The experienced climbers could advise on which ones were more suited to less mobile participants. Just a thought.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade GJr, just considering other options (which could possibly be incorporated into or in addition to a walk).

For what it is worth, I think that if a walk is to take place for this purpose it would be better to make it part of this season's Highland March. HM already generates a lot of interest and I think those outwith the club / support may view this as "just another ICT walk". You could always alter HM to start in Skye this season instead of at the away ground. Either way all valid suggestions.

I admire your enthusiasm G.Jr, but would agree with the posters above.

First and foremost, if you want to do anything in memory of the man, his family have to be on-board with the idea. If they are not, the idea stops there (out of respect). Liaise with them first, explain what the Highland March is about, how you have raised thousands for charity over the years, how it is recognised by both the club (as well as the SFL/SPL opponents) and also by the media as a legitimate yearly event, and how you would like to incorporate some form of tribute into this season's one or into a special one-off event (Munro walking sounds like a good idea). If they are agreeable, ask them if he had a favourite charity or one that is perhaps close to the hearts of climbers and take it from there.

I also like the idea that someone else mentioned about his picture - the one that was in one of the papers showing him on the summit wearing his ICT hat and scarf - being hung somewhere in the stadium ..... perhaps somewhere the players will see it all the time so it reminds them ICT and its fans have the ability to always scale new heights and reach the top.

I admire your enthusiasm G.Jr, but would agree with the posters above.

First and foremost, if you want to do anything in memory of the man, his family have to be on-board with the idea. If they are not, the idea stops there (out of respect). Liaise with them first, explain what the Highland March is about, how you have raised thousands for charity over the years, how it is recognised by both the club (as well as the SFL/SPL opponents) and also by the media as a legitimate yearly event, and how you would like to incorporate some form of tribute into this season's one or into a special one-off event (Munro walking sounds like a good idea). If they are agreeable, ask them if he had a favourite charity or one that is perhaps close to the hearts of climbers and take it from there.

I also like the idea that someone else mentioned about his picture - the one that was in one of the papers showing him on the summit wearing his ICT hat and scarf - being hung somewhere in the stadium ..... perhaps somewhere the players will see it all the time so it reminds them ICT and its fans have the ability to always scale new heights and reach the top.

i would love to be a part of anything that does happen....even if it just comes down to sponsorship while im away..however if something does happen while im away i may "do" the event but in the gym down here

These are all great ideas and I too would echo the thoughts of others by contacting his family first. That is a must. The only concern of any 'organised' event would be getting into the same scenario as last year when we hit on the idea of a mini HM by walking en mass to Dingwall. This idea was scuppered by red tape and good old health and safety. Dedicating HM9 to Peter's memory would be a good idea if all else fails, but, as said, consult with the family first.

In no way do I want to disrespect Peter's achievements but one of our longest serving supporters and I really do mean longest serving supporters, Hamish Munro passed away recently. Will the club be asked to honour Hamish in the same way? I know he didn't climb Everest but he was a supporter!

In no way do I want to disrespect Peter's achievements but one of our longest serving supporters and I really do mean longest serving supporters, Hamish Munro passed away recently. Will the club be asked to honour Hamish in the same way? I know he didn't climb Everest but he was a supporter!

Glad you cleared that up, when you said longest serving supporters I thought you meant something completely different.

With respect caleyboy, please consider starting another thread rather than personalising this one. ICT and CTO posters can not possibly know about the circumstances of every fan, this case was well publicised and Peter's story is one of great courage and determination followed by tragedy. This thread was started as another one was being hijacked, I'm sure you can do likewise and start another thread.

Echo the above, this is about recognising that one of our fellow supporters did something quite remarkable in a global sense outwith his ICT supporting role, but carried the club with him everywhere. Up until 2008, only around 4100 people had been to the top of Everest. That is remarkable. I'm sure that Hamish Munro scaled his own personal everests, and his friends will remember that.

I like Gringo Jnr's idea of a mass participation hat & bunnet walk of short distance to the stadium in order to maximise the amount of people there (and maximise any fundraising) I also like the idea of a smaller participation Munro bash, which would tie together the footie/ hills bit. This might simply add to awareness of OCD etc. or raise more money. If the mass walk was before a game, people would be going that way anyway, so the organisational aspect diminishes.It also gives the club an opportunity to participate upon arrival if they so wish. A munro can be done by a group of like minded individuals. My suggestion would be Ben Wyvis because it's comparatively easy, not far from Sneck, flat(ish) enough on top for a game of footie and you can see TCS from there. Even Paul Chalk could do that one!

I've not been on the forum since initially posting this thread. so apologies for no updates etc.

Can I just ask you please don't 'praise me' (as it were) for coming up with the idea. The idea came about through a few people chatting on these forums and it was suggested I assist with any organising. I have already stated that any event should be in honour of Peter, and not about those who are organising or taking part.

I certainly think that contacting Peter's family should be first and foremost, yet would like to have at least some information / ideas on hand to put to them. Should they wish to not allow an event, I will not persue it in any way shape of form. This also includes dedicating HM9 to Peter, as this would also go against their wishes if they decide against.

I like the suggestions we have so far, so please keep them coming. I shall contact the club in due course to gather their thoughts also, and think the idea of a photo (maybe above the tunnel exit) would be a sound tribute in itself.

Appreciate this post may not prove popular, but are we not getting a little carried away here?

I'm sure ICT fans pass away on a regular basis, many who will have achieved great things, and I find the whole idea of falling over ourselves to mark the passing of a fan who none of us seem to have known personally a little cringe worthy and verging on the embarrassing.

The guy managed to reach the summit of Everest and that in itself is worthy of note and praise. It's great that he took his ICT hat and scarf with him and the story is worthy of discussion on these forums and a mention in the match programme or something.

Everything else falls into the trap that is created by the "Grief Culture" that exists in this country where every man and their dog feels the need to talk about every death mentioned in the papers as if it were some long standing friend....when in reality they didn't know the person from Adam.

Also, think about the situation you are placing others in with such talk. You mention the club putting up pictures in the tunnel etc. Where are they expected to draw the line? Are they expected to put a picture of every ICT fan who passes away up in the tunnel? Are they expected to hold a minutes silence/applause for every ICT fan who passes away? Are you going to do a walk/climb/fundraiser for all their favourite/chosen charities?

I have no problem with those who wish to mourn the guys passing or mark his achievements, what does get up my nose is the way in which these things get forced upon everyone....and as I will no doubt find out in the responses to this....dare anyone disagree.

Appreciate this post may not prove popular, but are we not getting a little carried away here?

I'm sure ICT fans pass away on a regular basis, many who will have achieved great things, and I find the whole idea of falling over ourselves to mark the passing of a fan who none of us seem to have known personally a little cringe worthy and verging on the embarrassing.

The guy managed to reach the summit of Everest and that in itself is worthy of note and praise. It's great that he took his ICT hat and scarf with him and the story is worthy of discussion on these forums and a mention in the match programme or something.

Everything else falls into the trap that is created by the "Grief Culture" that exists in this country where every man and their dog feels the need to talk about every death mentioned in the papers as if it were some long standing friend....when in reality they didn't know the person from Adam.

Also, think about the situation you are placing others in with such talk. You mention the club putting up pictures in the tunnel etc. Where are they expected to draw the line? Are they expected to put a picture of every ICT fan who passes away up in the tunnel? Are they expected to hold a minutes silence/applause for every ICT fan who passes away? Are you going to do a walk/climb/fundraiser for all their favourite/chosen charities?

I have no problem with those who wish to mourn the guys passing or mark his achievements, what does get up my nose is the way in which these things get forced upon everyone....and as I will no doubt find out in the responses to this....dare anyone disagree.

I'm in a quandary about this post Caley D, and I don't like disagreeing with you, but...... With regard to a picture etc., that's a permanent memorial and is a different matter from a recognition that one of our own did something remarkable by doing a walk etc. I don't know if we should be discussing that at this time or in this place. So I reckon you are half right. But I reckon yer a wee bit OTT equating "everything else" as, well OTT. I also cannae see anyone forcing anything on anyone else here, they're just kicking ideas around. Like you, a measured response would be my ideal but maybe a bit more inclusive than yours.

If anyone, including participants in the charity related ICT hike would wear blue and red hats and scarves throughout, I think that would go a fair way to recognising and maybe continuing a wee part of the spirit in which Peter achieved what he did.

As I didn't know him, I can't honestly say more than that.

This may not be the thread for it, but my condolences and thoughts are with those who knew him.

Edited by Slater

It would just be a picture of the man himself for reasons that have been discussed.

I do think that marking the passing of a man who brought ICT colours to the top of the world is appropriate, its not grief culture, its the first time an ICT hat and scarf was on top of everest, and maybe the last. End of.

Tend to disagree with you partially CaleyD. Climbing Everest - ICT hat and scarf or not - is quite an achievement and recognising that is worthy IMHO. I also think that it is also worth recognising Hamish too. Perhaps an article in the program mourning the fact that both passed away during the close season or a mention on the tannoy before the game or a joint minute of silence/applause.

I know what you mean about grief culture but if we can have league imposed minute's silences every so often for people with no connection to ICT or public figures then maybe it is more appropriate to have one for one (or two) of 'our own' .

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not posting sooner, but I have not been on the ball with any organising for an event.

I've been unable to dedicate much time in the last couple of weeks to look deeper into the posibility of an organised charitiy walk/event, and with weddings and a family holiday forthcoming, I cant see me finding much time between now and the new season, which is fast approaching.

Obviously, Peter's efforts were amazing and this should not be forgotten. Also, as a devoted ICT fan who died in the teams colours on everest, I also think he is still deserving of some sort of tribute.

Failing A.N.Other taking the task on board in looking into an organised event, may I suggest something that is perhaps rather more low-key but a mark of respect all the same... that all ICT fans wear a bonnet and scalf as a mark of respect throughout the match, and have a minutes' applause after the championship flag unveiling against Celtic.

Agree completley with Caley D

As sad as it is i'm sure he's not the first ICT fan to climb everest, and wont be the last.

A mention in the programme would be nice, a picture in the tunnel that players have to look at is absurd.

As sad as it is i'm sure he's not the first ICT fan to climb everest, and wont be the last.

A mention in the programme would be nice, a picture in the tunnel that players have to look at is absurd.

Have to say I agree with CaleyD as well but he prob is the only ICT fan to have climbed it as i think only about 4,000 people have reached the summit. He isn't the only fan to have died though and having a picture of him above the tunnel is taking things a bit to far I think if any picture were to go above the tunnel it should be of someone or something more directly involved with the club.

Have to say I agree with CaleyD as well but he prob is the only ICT fan to have climbed it as i think only about 4,000 people have reached the summit. He isn't the only fan to have died though and having a picture of him above the tunnel is taking things a bit to far I think if any picture were to go above the tunnel it should be of someone or something more directly involved with the club.

More involved than a supporter? :blink:

More involved than a supporter? :blink:

It seems quite obvious to me, someone who gives his time to the club, lots of officials work for feckall and dont even get to see all of the game because of the work.

Lots of people behind the scenes,coaches,ground staff etc, do more at the club than you or i.