FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

1st Division winners medals

Libero

1st Division winners medal  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Should he get one?

• YES
    • NO

I have noticed an article in the paper today about Dougie Imrie and it raises an interesting point about players that leave in the January transfer window. Should Imrie get a medal for making 16 appearances for us last season?

Accies ace Dougie Imrie still waiting on league winners' medal

Jul 7 2010

HAMILTON midfielder Dougie Imrie has revealed that he has not received a First Division winners' medal from Inverness Caley Thistle, despite featuring in 16 games for them last season.

The 26-year-old said: "I don't think I qualify as I believe the 10-game rule only applies to the SPL. I guess it's up to Inverness to decide if they want to give me a medal.

"I'm just happy they've joined us in the SPL. They are a great bunch of boys and have a terrific management team in Terry Butcher and Maurice Malpas.

Regardless of whether he gets one or not it is pleasing to see that he is glad to see us back in the SPL and that there is no animosity between the player and the club.

I know that a lot of fans on here lost backing for him after his sending off in the challenge cup final however i always thought Imrie was a decent player to have in the squad. He always gave 110% for us and was an exciting player (although a little temperamental/erratic/frustrating at times) but his potential was evident and i think his performances for Hamilton in the latter part of last season where he won several MoMs and many plaudits backs this up.

So should he get one or not?

IMO yes, he played a substantial part of the season so deserves one

Edited by Libero

If he played enough games he is due a medal, simple as that. Although i didn't know the 10 game rule was SPL only.

Edited by ajsict92

At the point he left us we didn't look like we would win the league, so I don't believe he should get one. I have met him on several occasions outside football and found him to be a very nice quy but would still stick by what I have said.

I have noticed an article in the paper today about Dougie Imrie and it raises an interesting point about players that leave in the January transfer window. Should Imrie get a medal for making 16 appearances for us last season?

Jul 7 2010

HAMILTON midfielder Dougie Imrie has revealed that he has not received a First Division winners' medal from Inverness Caley Thistle, despite featuring in 16 games for them last season.

The 26-year-old said: "I don't think I qualify as I believe the 10-game rule only applies to the SPL. I guess it's up to Inverness to decide if they want to give me a medal.

"I'm just happy they've joined us in the SPL. They are a great bunch of boys and have a terrific management team in Terry Butcher and Maurice Malpas.

Now there's quite a different wee snippet about this in today's Daily Mail. I can't find the link so I'll just have to type it out:

Hamilton striker Dougie Imrie last night turned his back on a First Division title medal as he set his sights on success with Accies instead. Imrie qualifies for a winners' gong after making 13 league appearances for title-winners Inverness CT last season before heading on loan to New Douglas Park. But the 26 yr old insists he is focused solely on helping Billy Reid's side to build upon their seventh-place finish in last season's SPL and believes Hamilton can also satisfy his ambitions of reaching a major cup final. He said, 'I'm not too bothered about a First Division medal because I wasn't there when Inverness went on their great run to win the league. And I'd like to think Hamilton can achieve some success this season.'

Jul 7 2010

Now there's quite a different wee snippet about this in today's Daily Mail. I can't find the link so I'll just have to type it out:

Hamilton striker Dougie Imrie last night turned his back on a First Division title medal as he set his sights on success with Accies instead. Imrie qualifies for a winners' gong after making 13 league appearances for title-winners Inverness CT last season before heading on loan to New Douglas Park. But the 26 yr old insists he is focused solely on helping Billy Reid's side to build upon their seventh-place finish in last season's SPL and believes Hamilton can also satisfy his ambitions of reaching a major cup final. He said, 'I'm not too bothered about a First Division medal because I wasn't there when Inverness went on their great run to win the league. And I'd like to think Hamilton can achieve some success this season.'

Didnt see that one, puts a different slant on the issue. Looks like selective quoting from some journalists. The whole thing is probably a non-story anyway. If he didnt want one in the first place then there isnt really a story and looks to me like they were struggling to fill column inches.

If he's not bothered about a first division winners medal with us this time then maybe he can win one with Hamilton in the next few years :)

Doesnt matter if he was with us all season or not.

After making appearances in at least 1/3 of our games last season he certainly played a part in our title win. The league may hand out 20 medals, but if the squad is larger than 20 then personally I would say it is only fit and proper that extra are purchased and handed to those who played a part.

If he's not bothered about a first division winners medal with us this time then maybe he can win one with Hamilton in the next few years :)

I thought the exact same thing! friends.gif

personally i think kyle deserves one more than dougie

cant be easy to maintain enthusiasim and motivation and try to compete for a place when you are against someone like ryan in the form he was in

however if dougie wanted one and was willing to contribute then fine...failing that he left the club so why should we spend to give him a token gesture when he will be out to defeat us everytime this season

Doesnt matter if he was with us all season or not.

After making appearances in at least 1/3 of our games last season he certainly played a part in our title win. The league may hand out 20 medals, but if the squad is larger than 20 then personally I would say it is only fit and proper that extra are purchased and handed to those who played a part.

Not sure there are extra's available for purchase. I think the SFL have a number of medals struck for each competition and thats what the club gets. It must be difficult for any club, especially if they have a biggish squad, to decide who gets what. The first sixteen, I would imagine, go to the team who are presented with the trophy. That only leaves four for every other deserving soul.

It's just not right there's a limit on medals. If a player plays in a cup final but gets injured after 5 mins (even if the team's a goal down at that time), they wouldn't be denied a medal. They played a part!

The medal scenario is stuck in the time of no subs and small squads.

however if dougie wanted one and was willing to contribute then fine...failing that he left the club

Don't forget, the club decided to cash in and sell him. Plus he contributed more than certain others who did get a medal.

if you get an extra medal for dougie then surely the likes of barrowman, duff, shinnie, sutherland, hastings should get one as they allplayed a part of a game and therefore contributed?

i think it maybe should be the SPL rule, play say 10 games to get a medal