FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Nick Ross

Johnboy

I'm a huge fan of young Nick Ross, but I'm not sure that I'd want to see him on from the start against Celtic.

Butcher's Thoughts

We might not have any other option... if others aren't match fit or injured then Butcher might have to use him.

It would be a great match for his development, if he can handle that sort of pressure then the rest of the games this season would be a breeze.

I too am a fan of Ross and have high hopes for him in the future. I think he shall be a cracking player for ICT further down the line however i by no means think he is the finished article nor am i sure he is ready to be a first team regular.

There is still a lot to add to his game and i just hope that if he is thrown in against celtic that the occasion doesnt prove too much for him. What we have to remember is that he is only 18 and this weekends game is going to be a huge occasion for the younger and less experienced players.

By the looks of articles in the papers, Hayes was itching to get a game on saturday and hopefully gets some game time against Clach this week. I reckon Butcher will probably start with Hayes and Foran and while not 100% fit i think adrenalin should take them through the majority of the game, can see Ross coming on late in the game when legs begin to get heavy

He is one of our most promising youngsters but i think the Celtic game will come a tad early for him. Foran will make the game i'm guessing, don't know about Hayes though.

Have it from another player that Hayes should be fit for the Septic game, however if this turns out to be false I wouldn't have a problem with Nick starting. He's been, IMHO, one of our better players in pre-season and think he could do a job against them.

Edited by ICTFCkev

Ideally I'd like Hayes to be fit enough to start, but assuming he isn't, I can't think of a better situation for Ross to make his SPL debut in. The players won't be under the same pressure that they might be under nine or ten games into the season if things aren't going well - ICT will be underdogs for this game and if they fail to win, it won't be (or at least, certainly shouldn't be) seen as a disaster or a portent of a bad season to come. Also, no-one will really exepct Ross to dominate in a game against Celtic, and if he fails to make much of an impact it won't necessarily be taken as evidence that he can't cut it at this level, whereas it might be if he failed to perform in a game against St Mirren or Killie. On the other hand, if he does do well against Celtic, it should give both him and the team more confidence for the season ahead.

He needs to hit the gym to build up his upper body a bit, he's very small up top. Very good player though. Good dribbling skills.

We have to remember that he's only just turned 18 and is no doubt still growing. I'm sure he'll fill out over the next couple of years and he's no different from any other young player his age (guys like Wayne Rooney are a one off) in terms of physique.

I think we're missing the point here. We should be pointing out the positives in that he is a technically gifted player as that part of his game is much more difficult to develop. Th physique will come later.

If JH isn't fit for Saturday, I would be delighted to see Nick get a start.

For me, we are far too focussed on age in this country at both ends of the spectrum. Always questioning wether someone is ready for a chance due to their youth and equally, too ready to right off experienced pros because of their age.

The only way a kid like Nick will ever know if he is good enough is to play. What better opportunity to test him than the first game of the season, limited expectations, no league pressures and a full house?

:_thumbup: I too am a big fan of Nick. Watched JH tonight at Clach and he was starting to look sharp in the second half. I think he could start against Celtic and if posssibly be replaced by Nick for part of the second half if he is feeling the pace. As far as the age thing goes there is a old saying, 'if he is good enough he is old enough'. I don't believe a game against septic would harm his development.

Apologies to davie I hadn't realy read your post before I wrote this one.

Edited by kilda