FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Adam's on the up!

Libero

There is an article just put up on the official page,linky

Goalgrabber Adam Rooney is getting better all the time, according to manager Terry Butcher.

The former Stoke City player, back last week from playing for Republic of Ireland under 21s,

will face Hearts at Tulloch Caledonian Stadium on Saturday, bidding to stay among the SPL

top marksmen after slotting home the spot kick which earned us a point at Easter Road

last Saturday.

Adam, who rattled in 27 goals in last season's First Division championship winning triumph,

has found the net five times already this season, three times in SPL games and twice in cup

ties.

Terry Butcher says:"We'll be sitting down with Adam to discuss a longer contract and the

progress he's made at this club is something that should weigh in his favour.

"He's a vastly improved player from his form when he was in and out of the side in our

last SPL campaign. Getting regular games has enabled Adam to learn and progress and

he's started this season where he left off last May.

"Moving on, to somewhere he might not get a regular game, could be a setback to Adam's

development. He enjoys it here, he knows the players and the system, and he appreciates

that he's a key player. I think he could be even better in a season or two."

Delighted to hear the quote in bold, we need to get Adam tied up on a longer contract ASAP, too many times in the past have we let talented players leave for nothing or for minimal amounts. If Adam does decide to leave in the future then may it be with our blessing and a transfer fee that reflects the faith in his ability that the management team has shown him and the development he has had at the club.

Keep up the good work Adam and i hope you hang about for a good few years to come. :ictscarf:

Edited by Libero

TB is also quoted in this morning's P&J saying that Nick Ross should be considered for the Scotland Under 21 squad.

That might surprise a few people on this forum.

Surprises me. I don't think he is good enough yet but I see no reason why, with another season or so of SPL football under his belt, he can't push on and become a big player for Scotland U21. He's learning and getting better all the time and playing in the SPL will be a huge experience that can only benefit him in the long run. I'm looking forward to seeing him develop :twothumbsup:

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

TB knows that we are unlikely to get that big a transfer pot for Rooney at Xmas and I am shure that he doesnt want him to walk in the summer. But from what I hear Rooney is actually a decent lad and feels he actually owes something to ICT. He also knows that he, as TB also points out, will still be a squad player yet at many of the places that he would wish to move on to. He must also be buoyed that he has got back in the international reckoning.

Get him on a 2 year contract asap - he will repay it without doubt. My Stoke Boss stll is adamant that Stoke have first refusal but Adam wouldnt hit their first team yet anyway.

As fer Nick Ross - why do so many have a downer on him. He looks a real prospect to me - of course he has beefing up and maturing to do - but he is as good a prospect as Barry Robson was. And way ahead of the likes of Rory.

For once Scotland are getting it rite at Under 21 level - they are going fer talented individuals (OK mainly) who have SPL experience.

• Agree 1

thats a horrible thought that one (terry and rooney being somewhere else next season). but one i think we'd be kidding ourselves if thinking its not a possibility. especially if we continue moving in an upwards direction.

on the upside as was mentioned rooney seems like a good lad and by all accounts, along with the other members of out irish triumviate, seems to enjoy life in inverness. maybe that'll count for something? :cool: one can hope

but regardless get him signed up another few years on a good deal and we may all be happy.

Edited by Bombabim

More stories hitting the press today about Terry planning to open contract talks with Rooney. :twothumbsup:

Daily Record Story

Caley Thistle look to extend Rooney deal

Greig Thomas

INVERNESS boss Terry Butcher is hoping in-form striker Adam Rooney signs an extended deal to stay with the club.

The Republic of Ireland Under-21 star's penalty in the weekend's draw at Hibs took his goal tally for the season to five, just one behind Rangers' Kenny Miller.

Rooney netted 27 times in last season's First Division title triumph and Butcher is keen to start talks with the 22-year-old who is in the final year of his deal and will be free to speak to clubs from January.

Ahead of tomorrow's visit of Hearts, Butcher said: "We'll be sitting down with Adam to discuss a longer contract. The progress he's made at this club is something that should weigh in his favour.

"He's a vastly improved player from when he was in and out of the side in our last SPL campaign.

"Get t ing regular games has enabled Adam to learn and he has started this season where he left off last May.

"Adam has scored five goals now in all competitions.

"When we get a penalty I always fancy him to score. Such is the confidence of the side we are always a goal threat and Adam could have had a hat-trick on Saturday against Hibs.

"With one shot he nearly took the goal frame out of the ground - it was a fantastic strike.

"But it's not just about the goals that Adam scores, it's more about his overal l work-rate which is phenomenal.

"He's a joy to work with. He is very level headed and even when he scores goals or hat-tricks he wants to improve."

Rooney's goalscoring exploits have seen his stock rise but Butcher will stress to the youngster that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

He said: "Moving on to a club where he might not get a regular game could be a setback to Adam's development.

"He enjoys it here, he knows the players and the system and he appreciates that he's a key player. I think he could be even better in a season or two."

Press and Journal Story

Butcher keen to deal in Rooney

INVERNESS MANAGER HOPING PROLIFIC GOALSCORER WILL EXTEND CONTRACT AND STAY IN HIGHLANDS

By Paul Third

Published: 17/09/2010

Caley Thistle manager Terry Butcher is keen to begin contract discussions with attacker Adam Rooney.

The Republic of Ireland under-21 international is in the final year of his deal and Butcher is determined to keep the forward in the Highlands.

Rooney enjoyed a prolific campaign in the First Division, scoring 27 goals to help Caley Jags achieve promotion. He has netted five goals already this term. Several clubs are monitoring the 22-year-old's progress but Butcher is determined to keep hold of the former Stoke City youngster.

He said: "We will be sitting down with Adam to discuss a longer contract. The progress he has made at this club should weigh in his favour. "He is a vastly improved player from when he was in and out of the side in our last SPL campaign.

"Getting regular games has enabled Adam to learn and progress. He has started this season where he left off in May. He has been terrific. There were one or two players we were looking at to see how they did in the SPL but they have answered those questions already.

"Adam is one of them. He has shown great workrate, he holds up the ball well and he has scored goals. He looks like he has played a number of years in the SPL. Moving to a club where he might not get a regular game could be a setback to Adam's development.

"He enjoys it here, he knows the players and the system, and he appreciates he is a key player.

"I think he could be even better in a season or two."

Rooney will lead the attack against Hearts in the lunchtime encounter at Caledonian Stadium tomorrow.

Defenders Kenny Gillet and Kevin McCann are doubtful.

Gil Blumenshtein has a knee knock but is unavailable regardless due to Yom Kippur. Forward Richie Foran is in full training but will make the bench at best.

Butcher is looking for a repeat of his side's display early in the match against Celtic on the opening day of the season.

Lee Cox and Johnny Hayes will clock up their 50th appearances for Caley Jags and Butcher wants to mark the milestones with a victory.

He said: "It is important the players get the timetable right for the early kick-off.

"The way we started against Celtic was very encouraging.

"They got it right that day, so I am sure they also will against Hearts.

"We had Hibs last week, Hearts this and Celtic next week. They are marvellous games, the kind you look forward to when you are in the SPL and the ones you dream about when you are out of it. This is what its all about."

Seems like they've been going to 'start' negotiations for the last few months as it is.

I won't be holding my breath over a new deal though. Any agent worth his salt would be advising the player to keep his options open till January. Unless Rooney LOVES it up here of course.

• Disagree 1

Seems like they've been going to 'start' negotiations for the last few months as it is.

I won't be holding my breath over a new deal though. Any agent worth his salt would be advising the player to keep his options open till January. Unless Rooney LOVES it up here of course.

I really hope it doesnt come to point where the transfer window opens and Rooney still hasnt signed an extended contract. There will be many clubs able to offer more money than us and it is crazy to have arguably our best player and most valuable asset open to discuss terms with another club. We really need to get this sorted out ASAP

I don't think Terry will be quick to move on, he's had bad experiences at other clubs and I feel he has found his home and is happy here. TB staying will obviously help us keep and sign players too (IMO).

Especially in the case of Richie Foran, who also seems to like it up here.

I don't think Terry will be quick to move on, he's had bad experiences at other clubs and I feel he has found his home and is happy here. TB staying will obviously help us keep and sign players too (IMO).

Especially in the case of Richie Foran, who also seems to like it up here.

Agree, on both points.

(Would've liked to have given KingBeastie a green dot, but I've already used up today's quota. Think we need to be allowed more per day. I certainly do, anyway.)

Fully fit Foran in the hole with Rooney playing up front - mouthwatering, can't wait to see them playing together. If we've got the priviledge of seeing together next Wednesday I think we'll give Celtic a good game - and might even sneak a wee cheeky win.

I love Terry's spirit and enthusiasm.

Truly the kind of positivity the club needs after the Niculae problem etc.

I am not yet sure that he has the shrewdest football brain in the SPL but we really have to wait until all the injuries are cleared u and the team rebounds to some sort of normalcy and then we can judge him on his results and so on coming out of a definite settled formation.

Truly the kind of positivity the club needs after the Niculae problem etc.

Posttraumatic stress disorder (also known as post-traumatic stress disorder or PTSD) is a severe anxiety disorder that can develop after exposure to any event that results in psychological trauma

:irritated:

Posttraumatic stress disorder (also known as post-traumatic stress disorder or PTSD) is a severe anxiety disorder that can develop after exposure to any event that results in psychological trauma

Severe anxiety disorders can develop from reading too many of your posts.....