FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Motherwell -V- ICT : Matchday Thread

Scotty

Quite enjoyed the game, weather killed it as a footballing spectacle but it was competitive and both teams tried to have a go. We had the better chances and still can't believe Foran didn't score, the finish seemed a formality after running half the pitch alone...

Shinnie and Ross were possibly our best players although if Shinnie is going to be taking set pieces he should perhaps learn how to get the ball past the first man... Innes had a good game too, a no nonsense centre half. Didn't think we had anyone who played below par at all and on another day would have won.

Having said that, it was a point gained.

Quite enjoyed the game, weather killed it as a footballing spectacle but it was competitive and both teams tried to have a go. We had the better chances and still can't believe Foran didn't score, the finish seemed a formality after running half the pitch alone...

Shinnie and Ross were possibly our best players although if Shinnie is going to be taking set pieces he should perhaps learn how to get the ball past the first man... Innes had a good game too, a no nonsense centre half. Didn't think we had anyone who played below par at all and on another day would have won.

Having said that, it was a point gained.

Except for Shane Sutherland who appeared to keep on tackling into motherwell players feet while he was in possession of the ball. I thought Nick Ross had a good game today and done well going forward on occasions. Ross Tokely was solid at the back winning every challenge and then ruined it every time by hoofing it up the park to nobody. Overall it was an ok performance and it had a draw written all over it. Either side could have won today so i'm happy we were able to hold our ground on Motherwell in league.

My word, that was a boring game. Pretty solid defensively, but we had very little imagination going forward: the punt is back big style, unfortunately. Nick Ross was our best player by some distance: the only one prepared to take the ball and run with it, and he tracked back really well too. A lack of service was the big problem for Rooney today, not a lack of commitment. Given how dispiriting playing that lone striker role must have been for the past few weeks, I was impressed with his work rate. Sanchez didn't make much of a difference when he came on, tbh, but I'd still like to see him start against Rangers because he is capable of finding that defence-splitting pass. Yesterday's was a decent result, but the team badly needs a spark.

From eleven am till two pm there was half hourly pitch inspections because of heavy rain and strong winds. Apparantly, at two it was touch ang go whether the game would be on. As it turned out most of the play was dictated by the wind. Ball being held up in it and both teams having problems in that respect. Had Foran scored with his run I think that would have been the end of the game. As it was both teams battled out in midfield with neither getting anywhere and neither keeper having anything to do.

Rooney had nothing on his mind and played his usual game. Unfortunately it was very difficult conditions to get balls to him. Ross played another blinder as did Shinnie. The rest at the back were solid as well.

Bringing on Sanchez for Duncan seemed a very strange move, especially as most of us could see that Sutherland was getting knowhere. The game was crying out for some changes fifteen minutes into the second half. Unfortunately Terry waited till after the 75 minute mark and after Motherwell had made a change, before bringing on Sanchez. With about five to go Eric came on but neither sub made an impact and the score remained 0-0.

Shane was def. hugging the right touchline in the Jonny Hayes role, which was bizarre for a player who's probably a decent target man and strong in the air. Kept cutting inside onto his left foot and getting dispossessed by his man. I would say skill on the ball is pretty near top of the list for a midfielder, no? Felt a bit sorry for him, but still baffled as to why he was never hooked. Duncan was hooked, not sure why, tiredness from not playing or because he was on a yellow?

Can't complain about the stewards, they let us stand all day. The beardy one must have been glad to see the back of the Dude who was pulling his chain all day. Same goes for the heid barman in the Social Club :laugh:

Disagree with Maryhill up to a point. A few of us felt we quite enjoyed the game - mind you that was back in the car with the heater going.

Shane was def. hugging the right touchline in the Jonny Hayes role, which was bizarre for a player who's probably a decent target man and strong in the air. Kept cutting inside onto his left foot and getting dispossessed by his man. I would say skill on the ball is pretty near top of the list for a midfielder, no? Felt a bit sorry for him, but still baffled as to why he was never hooked. Duncan was hooked, not sure why, tiredness from not playing or because he was on a yellow?

Can't complain about the stewards, they let us stand all day. The beardy one must have been glad to see the back of the Dude who was pulling his chain all day. Same goes for the heid barman in the Social Club :laugh:

Disagree with Maryhill up to a point. A few of us felt we quite enjoyed the game - mind you that was back in the car with the heater going.

Hope the dude wakes up today and realises the amount of sweet talking it took to save him from being chucked out. Hope also he got many good pics for all his staggering efforts :lol:

Hope the dude wakes up today and realises the amount of sweet talking it took to save him from being chucked out. Hope also he got many good pics for all his staggering efforts :lol:

Highlight of the game for me was the steward telling him to stop taking photos... as he was saying this, DD decided to take a photo of him.... made me laugh!

Thanks guys :twothumbsup:

I was speaking to some stewards in the bar after game and they were saying that the supervisor(the one who had a problem with me for some reason :tongueincheek: ?) had been reported by a number of stewards after the game to the Head Steward, for his behaviour and attitude. Apparently he is not normally at Motherwell, and the local stewards didn't appeciate the way he spoke to myself and a few others.

• Agree 1

Was that the ground or the social club Alex! :biggrin: !

Just arrived back in sneck, good night out in Embra last night, as Mantis says once back on the M8 and the heater going well we all agreed that a draw was ok, and that the game was pretty good despite the weather, Spoke to Ryan Esson tonight and he tells me conditions on the pitch were terrible, high, blustery winds lots of rain and the pitch was mostly mud away from the centre part of the pitch.

I thought the game was quite entertaining, both teams went out to try and win it which was fair enough, it was always looking like first goal the winner though.

Social club was good craic with Dude managing to entertain us much to the heid barmans chagrin. Highlight of the awayday fans day out must have been Johndo's attempt at standing up at half time and almost succeding in a back flip over two rows of seats ( the seats are now ok), stewards were fine, allowed everyone stand for the whole game and never bothered anyone except dewsbury, who was on a one man annoying mission.

As for the game, again almost everbody did well, Shane is no bad but not as a right winger, he was read by the left back and his moves became so predictable he was picked off time after time. dont put him there again Terry... please, the boy tried but he's no got the skill to be a winger.

Well impressed with Shinnie, after his struggle to contain Humphrey at TCS he read the wingers plays this time very well and only got clear from the youngster once i think. Ross was also impressive as his feet seemed to adapt to running in mud better than the heavier players, Sandshoes and Eric came on late, but to take Russell off and leave Shane on was a feckin mystery! they really didnt get time to warm up and get involved.

Oh how i wished for Foran to slip the ball under the keeper, as said above, it would have been the winner, but i've seen Foran have better games - a lot better, never mind its a clean sheet and Ibrox holds no fear for these guys.

MOM, mmmm Ross-just, Ryan was good, Russel did a lot of work off the ball spoiling, Shinnie did well but needs to work a big bit on his ball delivery.

• Agree 3

Going on the BBC highlights I would say that we should have had a penalty for the handball. The view from behind the goal, if you pause it at the moment of contact, shows that the Well player was easily a foot inside the box at the time. Mind you it would have been a tough call at full speed and it would have been a soft penalty to get anyway.

Shane is no bad but not as a right winger, he was read by the left back and his moves became so predictable he was picked off time after time. dont put him there again Terry... please, the boy tried but he's no got the skill to be a winger.

I'm taking flak over on P'n'B for making that very point. I think he's there because he works so hard, but to play him ahead of the more talented footballers on the bench is pragmatism gone to far IMO. Shouldn't moan too much though - we looked solid throughout the team and were marginally better than Well. Innes makes a difference to the defence - he might be slow and cumbersome, but positionally he's much more of a centre-half than Rosscoe and this helps Granty. Full marks to Shinnie for dealing with Humphrey after his nightmare in Sneck. Ross was our best attacking player without being particularly good. We seriously lack creativity without Hayes and i think that might see us in the bottom 6 soon enough.

Shane is no bad but not as a right winger, he was read by the left back and his moves became so predictable he was picked off time after time. dont put him there again Terry... please, the boy tried but he's no got the skill to be a winger.

I'm taking flak over on P'n'B for making that very point.

Sophia can be so bitchy.

I forgot to add to my post to say well done to all the singers who never stopped much for the whole game, and maybe someone will correct me but i never heard the home support sing once, one small chant and that was it.

Seems the 'what a shitey home support' chant applies to most teams in the SPL the noo.

Just for the record re: the stewarding, that was the first ever SPL match which was 'Police Free', i.e. no Coppers were paid for by the club to be in or around the stadium. Given the varying standards we've experienced around the country I'm not sure if this is a good or bad development overall but as there were no issues and the stewards were pretty good on Saturday you have to say that on this occasion it was a success.

Assuming Dewsbury Dude was the guy who kept taking the photos? He did seem to be on an unnecessary one man wind up mission when the stewards were being pretty chilled out with standing, singing, etc...

Assuming Dewsbury Dude was the guy who kept taking the photos? He did seem to be on an unnecessary one man wind up mission when the stewards were being pretty chilled out with standing, singing, etc...

No, the Dude is a slim guy with shoulder-length hair.

No, the Dude is a slim guy with shoulder-length hair.

You might recognize him from the Calvin Klein underwear adverts