FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Beckham gets pelter in Toronto

Sorted

1 beer can - give me a break.

Fast forward to 2min 25 sec of this clip

This is why we only get plastic cups of beer at the football now. It was a good night at the football though.

Disclaimer: I don't condone this, I didn't participate in this. But only because I wasn't prepared to throw perfectly cold, full cans of XXXX

:lol: ... no, not really. I was there though and the atmosphere was great !!!! 47,000+ fans, loads of noise and the prospect of a (unexpected) victory against the current MLS Champions and Supporters Shield winners who had Beckham, Donovan, Juninho, and Robbie Keane in their starting lineup ... especially when we went 2-0 up within 17 minutes ..... The beer can thing was blown out of proportion ... 1 can, 47,000 fans ... surprised there wasnt more (there probably was, but at $13 a can, perhaps not as many as you might think).

Only downer of the night was that douchebag Donovan scoring right at the death, from the corner that Beckham took just after the can incident. Other than that TFC played really well and matched the champs all over the park. Aron Winter strayed from his usual 4-3-3 formation and went 3-4-3 on the night with Torsten Frings playing deep as an extra defender at times ... a very fluid system that took LA by the scruff of the neck initially but settled down into a tactical battle after that.

Beckham had a decent game overall, but like the SPL, the talking point was some of the referee decisions. The ref was from Jamaica and like a lot of CONCACAF refs was not up to the task.

you can see my gallery from the game at: http://tfcpics.com/index.php?/gallery/album/227-2012ccl1-tfc-v-los-angeles/

Why do you get a Jamaican ref for a league match between an American and Canadian team? Any ref strikes we not heard about over here

Wasnt a league match, it was the first leg of the quarter final of the CONCACAF Champions League. As CD mentioned above, its basically North and Central American version of UEFA so like UEFA, refs come from one of the member countries ... and he was a beezer !

yeah .... pretty standard at any sporting event over here ... prices of beer and food are through the roof .....

Beer = about $2.50 - $3.00 a can in the "beer store", about $6 - $7 a pint in the pub ..... and anything from $9 - $13 for a full sized can at the games ... after many years of not having been able to enjoy a beer during games it makes it easy for me to do my drinking before and after !!!!

So who is there to look out fer at the Toronto tinks this season ?

Stefan Frei - GK: a bit like Esson and under-rated by many including his country (in this case Switzerland), one of the best shotstoppers in the league. Like ICT, TFC also have a good understudy occupying the Jonny Tuffey position. Milos Kocic plays in most cup games (sound familiar?).

Torsten Frings - Former captain of Germany and the current TFC captain. Since he arrived, the midfield now has a general and even at 35 he still covers every blade of grass during a game. Hugely important player for the club this season.

Julian DeGuzman - Canadian International, designated player, playing better now since Frings came along as all the expectations are no longer on him to produce something all the time.

Richard Eckersley !!! - A loan signing last year from Burnley who has now made his move permanent. Great fan favourite despite being a bit raw. Solid, reasonably skillful for a right back and scared of nothing. also a 'ginger' :lol:

Danny Koevermans - former Dutch international who was scoring an average of a 2 goals every 3 games when he arrived last season along with Frings. Going to be very important player this year especially as coach Aron Winter has filled out the squad with quite a few skillful youngsters who will be looking to shine under his (and Frings') mentorship.

Jaoa Plata - Another loan signing from last year who has now signed a permanent contract. 19 year old Ecuadorian international who is just under 5' tall .... but like many small players, he is (or was) underestimated by the opposition. He's a flying winger who can make things happen when he gets the ball and always delivers excitement .....

There are also a lot of exciting younger players in the squad and its possible that one or more of them may breakout this year and shine .... just 5 years after forming the TFC Academy, there are already 6 graduates in the first team squad .... and they are there entirely on merit !!! Doneil Henry, Oscar Cordon, Nick Lindsay, Keith Makubuya, Ashtone Morgan, Matt Stinson ... 3 of them already capped for Canada at either U21 or full level.

lots of sour grapes going around on the west coast just now after TFC beat the Galaxy in Los Angeles on Wednesday night. Just got my ticket for the semi-final 1st leg today ... TFC -V- Santos Laguna of Mexico .... a whole different bucket of burritos, thats for sure