FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Cooper and King?

Council Juice

Just found this about King from 2007

Gillingham have splashed out £200,000 to complete the signing of central defender Simon King from Barnet.

The fee for the 24-year-old, Barnet's Player of the Year last season, could eventually rise to £250,000 depending on appearances and Gillingham being promoted to the Coca-Cola Championship.

King, who plays on the left hand side of central defence, has put pen to paper on a three-year deal at Priestfield.

"We think Simon will eventually play in the Premiership," said Gills chairman Paul Scally, "so it's a great signing for the club and shows that we have the ambition to try and get promotion back to the Championship this season."

If he can stay injury free then he may well be a decent acquisition. Not many of our current squad have commanded fees of £200k in their careers. May well be able to provide cover at left back as well

I see County have Kovacevic on trial, the 6'4" defender ex of Dundee Utd, now freed by a Croatian club. You can be certain that if his agent touted him to County he would have contacted ICT as well. We are pursuing King instead, but is that by choice because Butcher rates King more highly, or because he's just a cheaper option?

(Kovacevic has been injury prone too by the way)

I see County have Kovacevic on trial, the 6'4" defender ex of Dundee Utd, now freed by a Croatian club. You can be certain that if his agent touted him to County he would have contacted ICT as well. We are pursuing King instead, but is that by choice because Butcher rates King more highly, or because he's just a cheaper option?

(Kovacevic has been injury prone too by the way)

No idea but if there's no money then Butcher may have no choice but to go for a cheaper option (if he is cheaper). However, as other folk have said I thought King was excellent at Elgin and exactly the type of defender we were needing at times last season. The fact that Gillingham paid £200,000 for him and their fans stating that they will miss him etc is a positive sign. Hopefully he has got through his injury - if so then he would appear to be a fantastic signing.

Hello, I'm a Barnet fan. Simon King was always incredibly popular whilst with us and even now remains a Barnet legend. Excellent player and always came acrooss as a really lovely guy as well.

When he left us, Gillingham were in League 1, we were in League 2 , he was one of the best L2 defenders around which was why he commanded a big transfer fee and he was clearly destined for better things. Unfortunately after 1 season at Gillingham he sustained a horrific injury in a pre season friendly which almost ended his career. He had a period on loan to Plymouth last season and it was a surprise when Gillingham released him - but that could in part be due to their change of manager and loony Chairman.

We were so hoping he'd re-sign for Barnet but as he has joined you instead then I hope he does well for you.

Most players, however good they are will get a bad press from the fans from time to time and Barnet have their share of moany fans - but nobody ever had a bad word to say about Kingy and from what I can gather, Gillingham fans were the same.

Certainly he was a better player for us than Kenny Gillet ( Gillet did well for us but he was no Kingy! )

• Agree 11

Those are encouraging comments from the Barnet fan about King, and an interesting comparison with Gillet, who I thought was one of our best defenders last year. So it bodes well, providing King can steer clear of injuries.

Edited by Caley Mad In Berks