FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Owain red card

Lmclmm

Does anyone else think that it should have been a red. I personally think a yellow would have been enough for that silly antics. Let me know what you think.

Does anyone else think that it should have been a red. I personally think a yellow would have been enough for that silly antics. Let me know what you think.

Might want to have a look at the match thread for some folk's views.

i think if he could redo it he would still lash out mackenzie kicked him

Then you let the referee deal with that. You don't react by grabbing an opponent by the shirt and then go head to head with him. No matter how pissed off you may be.

i think if he could redo it he would still lash out mackenzie kicked him

Then you let the referee deal with that. You don't react by grabbing an opponent by the shirt and then go head to head with him. No matter how pissed off you may be.

yes but if someone kicked you on your bad leg would you not react

• Agree 2

I'd probably ask what the hell they were playing that but I wouldn't feel any need to grab someone like Jones did nor display any desire to plant my forehead on theirs.

Boggles my mind that people are trying to excuse what happened. There is no defence for what Jones did.

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 3

He was a fekkin idiot and I hope Butcher makes him suffer till christmas.

I agree with the first bit but why should Butcher make him suffer? He is potentially one of our most influential players for the coming season and Butcher's job is to make sure OTJ understands that he cannot afford to react like that again. He also needs to understand that every other team in the SPL will now be primed to press OTJ's buttons. Butcher will understand from his own personal experience the dangers of misplaced aggression and far from making OTJ suffer he needs to support him and work with him to channel his aggression constructively to the benefit of the team.

• Agree 3

I agree with DD. Yes, we are angry with OTJ. Butcher was feckin fuming. He will be disciplined by the SPL and the club. But Butcher needs to work with OTJ to make sure this doesn't happen again. Maybe this was going to happen at some point. Maybe he has some sort of injury PTSD. Whatever the reasons, it was out of character, i'm sure he will / has apologised to the player, his team mates and the management. He will take the punishment and then with support of others will make sure this doesn't happen again.

OTJ spent a considerable time warming up on his own I suspect because he has just come back from that very difficult injury he sustained early last season. An experienced international player should not react the way he did. However, in mitigation, the tackle on him was very dangerous and some referees would have booked or sent off the offender. A good referee would have been on the spot quicker - he watches Fowler come in sideways - if they had recognised the recklessness of the tackle. 'Our' referee stood off and watched. In his defence, he was not aware of the injury and worry OTJ has endured but he should know that the tackle was worse given the height of OTJ and angle. Fowler tackled with real intent to stop OTJ going into the box. It was a disgraceful tackle that the SFA should highlight as such even retrospectively.

• Agree 1

OTJ spent a considerable time warming up on his own I suspect because he has just come back from that very difficult injury he sustained early last season. An experienced international player should not react the way he did. However, in mitigation, the tackle on him was very dangerous and some referees would have booked or sent off the offender. A good referee would have been on the spot quicker - he watches Fowler come in sideways - if they had recognised the recklessness of the tackle. 'Our' referee stood off and watched. In his defence, he was not aware of the injury and worry OTJ has endured but he should know that the tackle was worse given the height of OTJ and angle. Fowler tackled with real intent to stop OTJ going into the box. It was a disgraceful tackle that the SFA should highlight as such even retrospectively.

It was a foul that was worthy of a yellow card that is all. And how could the referee possibly been on the spot quicker, OTJ got straight up and went for the guy.

OTJ had all his weight on that right standing foot and ankle, having just had a nightmare season with injuries, I can understand OTJ instant reaction. Should have maybe been a sending off for both players, as it was a reckless and dangerous tackle. Next time just bide your time OTJ and get him back the same way, as refs dont book players for dangerous tackles, only deal with the reactions!!!

• Agree 1

ive had a re watch last night on sportscene and again today on the website. and otj got kicked on his bad leg which caused him to miss most of last season. so of course i would have done the same and over reacted. so i still think and im gonna stick to it a yellow card would have been enough

ive had a re watch last night on sportscene and again today on the website. and otj got kicked on his bad leg which caused him to miss most of last season. so of course i would have done the same and over reacted. so i still think and im gonna stick to it a yellow card would have been enough

Sorry but do you have the slightest idea about the rules of the game. The ref doesn't think oh he had a bad injury last season so it's ok for him to assault the other player. He did the wrong thing and he was correctly punished for it the ref had an easy decision

Edited by gordieict

Sorry but do you have the slightest idea about the rules of the game. The ref doesn't think oh he had a bad injury last season so it's ok for him to assault the other player. He did the wrong thing and he was correctly punished for it the ref had an easy decision

No need to get too personal ! The OP makes a valid point as to why he may have over-reacted, or let the 'red mist' get the better of him and maybe TB will take that in mitigation when any internal discussions take place in terms of disciplinary action. However, it is also correct to say, that regardless of any mitigating factors we might be able to come up with after the fact, the ref simply applied the rules the way he has to. Like last week in the case of St Mirren's Lewis Guy, he raised his hands (or head in this case) and therefore has to go ... no argument, no excuses, and no leeway for a yellow regardless of how much we as ICT fans might like to mitigate the decision and hope for it ....

• Agree 1

No need to get too personal ! The OP makes a valid point as to why he may have over-reacted, or let the 'red mist' get the better of him and maybe TB will take that in mitigation when any internal discussions take place in terms of disciplinary action. However, it is also correct to say, that regardless of any mitigating factors we might be able to come up with after the fact, the ref simply applied the rules the way he has to. Like last week in the case of St Mirren's Lewis Guy, he raised his hands (or head in this case) and therefore has to go ... no argument, no excuses, and no leeway for a yellow regardless of how much we as ICT fans might like to mitigate the decision and hope for it ....

Yes you are right Scotty sorry missict I didn't mean to make that so personal