FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Butcher to Barnsley? Terry stays put***

RossP

I was looking into the background of our head scout/GK coach Steve Marsella yesterday, and conincidentally he used to be a goalkeeping coach at Barnsley. I'd imagine Terry will have been on the phone to him for some more info on his prospective employer.

Edited by Yngwie

I have a strong feeling that he will go. Looking at it objectively, Barnsley are a much larger club than us with a much greater fan base and more potential than us. His salary and player budget will be much enhanced and he probably feels he still has a point to prove in management in his native land.

Personally, while a bit disappointed given the season we are having, I would be far from devastated as we have a pretty good record over the years in successfully replacing departing managers.

The one thing I would not relish is Butcher leaving with Malpas staying and replacing him as manager. The latter seems a good coach and has been generally successful as Butcher's right hand man but has a dismal record as a manager in his own right.

Paul Hartley anyone ?

Larger club, perhaps, not in terms of potential success though.

Larger fan base and higher salary, yes, although they have one of the lowest average attendances in their league at sub 10k

More potential, not at all. They are in the highest league they will ever be in in the forseable future. They have already been turned down becasue the board lacks ambition. Almost every club in their league and many below are larger than them in terms of fan base. They will never qualify for Europe or be in the chase for a major honour anytime soon. There is far more potential at ICT.

My issues with this is why the board are so quick to allow Barnsley to speak to Terry! I assume the would issue a straight "hands off" seeing as we are doing so well. Something isn't right!!!

BBC podcast with interview with Barnsley MD.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/scotfoot

I would guess there is a clause in Terry's contract which obliges ICT to allow prospective clubs to speak to him.

If you look at our results and performances over the last 2 years starting from Christmas 2010, we were actually pretty garbage for all of it except the last 3 months, which have been incredible. The rest of it was relegation form and a type of football that drove our fans away in unprecedented numbers.

So :

1) You can see why Terry would be tempted to cash in whilst his stock is high and before the bubble (possibly) bursts

2) Maybe he wouldn't be such a big loss after all. The reason we are doing so well now is because of the players Marsella has found for us, not because of any tactical genius at the helm.

Just trying to soften the blow!

• Agree 3

If you look at our results and performances over the last 2 years starting from Christmas 2010, we were actually pretty garbage for all of it except the last 3 months, which have been incredible. The rest of it was relegation form and a type of football that drove our fans away in unprecedented numbers.

So :

1) You can see why Terry would be tempted to cash in whilst his stock is high and before the bubble (possibly) bursts

2) Maybe he wouldn't be such a big loss after all. The reason we are doing so well now is because of the players Marsella has found for us, not because of any tactical genius at the helm.

Just trying to soften the blow!

You're no as daft as you look young fella................. :wink: he's the one we should be striving to keep aboard, or at least nobble his contacts book !!

Larger club, perhaps, not in terms of potential success though.

Larger fan base and higher salary, yes, although they have one of the lowest average attendances in their league at sub 10k

More potential, not at all. They are in the highest league they will ever be in in the forseable future. They have already been turned down becasue the board lacks ambition. Almost every club in their league and many below are larger than them in terms of fan base. They will never qualify for Europe or be in the chase for a major honour anytime soon. There is far more potential at ICT.

may be so , but they are still in THE CHAMPIONSHIP. 

all spl players( victor wanyama apart) and managers( possibly lennon apart) dream of playing/ managing in that league because the premiership is beyond them. the championship is the promised land now for many. (did'nt murphy from motherwell, who is one of this years top spl players,go to a league one team sheffield utd last week, not good enough for the championship ?)

tel would be a fool not to go if offered the job.

this year with our good form our players and management team have put themselves in the shop window.

if terry stays here and our team breaks up whether in the january window or summer window , he will then be back to scouring the lower english leagues for players, trying to persuade them to join a club with the lowest budget in the spl, a league that most in england dont rate.

previous players like tansey, cox, gillet etc could not get back to england quick enough.

just heard although some on here may have heard already that andrew shinnie is in pre contract talks with aberdeen. starting the break up of our best ever team.????

can tel be bothered starting over again in the summer, when jones, draper, raven who have raised their profile here, start getting offers from down south.

as alan preston said on tonights bbc news " butcher has probably taken inverness as far as he could have taken them"

time for another challenge ?

• Agree 1

He could, potentially take us to 2 cup finals and Europe, so he' s taken us nowhere near to how far he could. plenty of unfinished business here, and I think it.'ll take a far bigger club than Barnsley to tempt him from an area he clearly loves.

• Agree 1

No way has he done as much as he could do at ICT the job is only half done and i really think we could get somewhere this season, he still has a huge challenge ahead of him second half of the season and i personally cant see why he would wont to turn away from it.Especially after he was saying he wants to keep all his star players in january as they still have a cup semi final to play in and are on great league form.Surely he wants to be part of it as well. Suppose football comes down to the £££ these days. 

• Agree 1

We have a cup final to win and possibly our best ever SPL finish. TB knows what this team can achieve and I think he will stay and do that, then if he gets the success the team deserve this year he will get better offers than Barnsley in summer, which he will be more likely to take. This wont be the only offer on the table in teh next few months of that I'm sure.

I disagree with Allan Preston's comments. No question that we could probably not replicate the league form after this seasons done. But there is no question we are still capable of reaching better heights like a trophy and Europe come the end of this season. All of this is within touching distance and it would be foolish for anyone, including to Butcher to let all the hard work put in so far to go to waste. This has the potential to be the best season we have ever had but virtually all of it rides on the next couple of days. If Butcher does leave it will have ramifications for the rest of the team and could see all the work gone into the campaign dwindle. 

Barry Wilson maybe?

I know hes only just started out as the Wick Academy manager but theyre doing pretty bloody well this season, sitting 1 point in second with a game in hand.  I think he reads the game pretty well, which is something that Butcher is guilty of not always doing, Wilsons been a pundit on MFR a couple of times now and his insights are decent, easy from the commentary bx though.

Maybe if not manager then surely he can be brought in as an assistant?

I think there's a bit of an elephant in room here that everyone has missed.  Last week, when the Barnsley job came up, Butcher was mentioned as a possible choice and on all the odds lists, was fairly high.  He quickly ruled himself out of the running and disappeared from the odds list.  Now all of a sudden he's back in the running, is going to speak to Barnsley again, is now the bookies favourite and has spoken to them before today, where they had a "positive chat".  If he was going to rule himself out of the running, why didn't he do it there and then?   Sounds to me like he's interested.  He'd be foolish to leave though, particularly in the current position that the club is in.

I wouldnt put it past our board to offer Richie Foran player/manager. 

I've no idea how good a manager Foran would be, but sometimes, in any job, promoting a fellow colleague to a position where he has authority over his former workmates is a bad decision.  I'm not sure he'd be offered the job anyway, or even if he has the qualifications to do so. 

I am most likely to be repeating what a lot of people have already said but i think it would be a big mistake for terry to leave. To be the manager of an SPL side, 2nd in the league, playing for a european place currently, semi-final of a cup and the players playing very well together with a great atmosphere in the dressing room. Would you leave that for a side bottom of the championship, fighting relagation? I know i wouldn't.

If you look at where barsnley have finished in the championship in the last 5 years it goes like this:

2011-2012:  21st place

2010-2011  17th place

2009-2010  18th place

2008-2009  20th place

2007-2008  18th place

No higher than 17th in the last 5 seasons, they are a team that struggle every season in that league. I dont think it matters who barnsley have as manager, they are always going to be a bottom of the championship side.