FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Persistent Fouling

davieB

I notice someone mentioning this briefly in the matchday thread, but just wondered if anyone knew what the rules on this are?

To me, and my two mates, Ngoo should've been sent off long before the end yesterday as the number of free kicks he conceded must've been close to half the total given yesterday! Everytime he got pulled up again I fully expected the ref to pull out a second yellow and make him walk.

Pretty much all the fouls given against him were for the similar offences...backing in, elbows, climbing etc.

Now up until his wee spat with Warren he'd already been penalised a load of times, and he'd have surely got booked for persistent fouling sooner rather than later. After the spat...he continued doing the same thing. He must've given away at least 10 fouls AFTER the booking,

Any amateur refs know the score on this?

I notice someone mentioning this briefly in the matchday thread, but just wondered if anyone knew what the rules on this are?

To me, and my two mates, Ngoo should've been sent off long before the end yesterday as the number of free kicks he conceded must've been close to half the total given yesterday! Everytime he got pulled up again I fully expected the ref to pull out a second yellow and make him walk.

Pretty much all the fouls given against him were for the similar offences...backing in, elbows, climbing etc.

Now up until his wee spat with Warren he'd already been penalised a load of times, and he'd have surely got booked for persistent fouling sooner rather than later. After the spat...he continued doing the same thing. He must've given away at least 10 fouls AFTER the booking,

Any amateur refs know the score on this?

I used to referee for a few years there is no fixed rule on this. This like many rules is at the referee's discretion and he chooses when to give a yellow card for persistent fouling be it 5, 10 or more fouls there is no specific number. There was no chance Norris was going to send him off for persistent fouling having already sent one Hearts player off. Also we can't really complain too much about this as Foran and even McKay with his strange pull back on Webster when he had already been booked could have walked in another game.

As ex-referee myself, I agree that there is no fixed rule HOWEVER, if the referee has already shown one yellow for persistent infringement, then it should only take two or three more fouls being committed before it becomes obvious that the player hasn't accepted that warning and is then shown the red. Also, if the referee has issued a yellow previously, perhaps for another reason, and then finds cause to warns the player that they are noting a number of persistent fouls now and that the next one could result in a yellow and therefore a red, the player should take note. If they don't heed that, then after the next one it is bye-bye.

The problem is context. In any high level game that attracts media attention and especially TV cameras, most fans and commentators would be perplexed if a player was penalised for a "soft" foul, then shown a yellow and red. It doesn't mean the laws of the game are in abeyance, but it does make the application that little bit more difficult.

Mind you, it was made very clear to me during my training that you never pull a first yellow unless you are willing to show a red, for exactly that reason. But then isn't that what makes the game so compelling? ;-)

Euan Norris had a shocker by all accounts and lets be thankful he didnt send Foran packing as well ..... sounds like we could have had little complaint about that.

Euan Norris had a shocker by all accounts and lets be thankful he didnt send Foran packing as well ..... sounds like we could have had little complaint about that.

I would complain about it. His original yellow card was a nonsense.

Foran's original yellow card was for dissent and was fully justified.

I would complain about it. His original yellow card was a nonsense.

Foran's original yellow card was for dissent and was fully justified.

Correct. Foran should have been off before half time. Even ignoring a few other tackles the dissent and that tackle at the end of the 1st half alone should have been enough.

How he stayed on was just one of the many mysteries in Norris's inept display.