FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Inverness CT -V- Dundee Utd

Scotty

I actually saw what happened to GMS.  He just went down like a ton of bricks!

So, trying to get our player sent off, but his efforts ultimately ending up with his own teammate getting sent off thus handing us a place in the semis. :thumbup:

Seen the sending off from the bbc camera angle last night. No question about the sending off, wonder if Mcnamara will be so peed off about him wrongly sent off when he see's that, instead of the Arab tv angle from the main stand. And the linesman was standing 2 foot away when he scratched across Shinnie's face from behind and then put him in a headlock. Maybe it was just because there was other incidents going on. As for Mackay Steven and Foran, GMS is getting quite a reputation for being light weight and going down looking for a BAFTA, all be it he does get a few clatterings.

• Agree 1

Excellent result. Only had the commentary, but I have the impression that the officials were troll as usual. I'd go for Aberdeen in the semis, to be played at Dungwall.

No doubt if we got Aberdeen Tannadice would be chosen as the 'neutral' venue.

I know, I just wanted to call for some "justice" after last year's venue :wink:

From what I could see (and had a pretty good view) GMS actually moved in towards Foran, looking for contact and a free kick when he realised he was in a blind alley with Tremarco covering. Foran neglected to get out of the way, and although I couldn't swear to this I reckon he's battered his head off Foran's shoulder and gone down like a ton of bricks. I have some sympathy with this, and judging by the lump on his head it was a sore one. His fault, but a sore one. Terry was riled because he had a perfect view of how GMS had engineered the challenge and landed at his feet, and I think might have still been irritated by Paton's fall to the floor when Draper ran past him. Still probably should have walked way, but there you are. The problems started when United then went in en masse to "defend" GMS and it got a bit silly after that.

I do wonder with all the bile that's coming from United though. The card "score" tells its own story.

Can't see why the Arabs claimed the GMS incident and reaction to it turned the game. We were clearly on top at the time and should have been 2 or 3-1 up. If anything it was their opening goal that turned the game as we took it to them after that. All sour grapes from the Arabs who I thought were better than that but turned out to be a bunch of cheating whinging wimps when the going got tough.

• Agree 1

I notice Ciftic has been charged by SFA for assaulting Linesman and also Shinnie. I wonder if the red card on the night was for the attempt to strangle the linesman.  http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=2566&newsCategoryID=1&newsID=12764

The red card will have been for violent conduct and I suspect it will have been for the claw at Shinnie. The "headlock" was in amongst a group of players and not likely to have been seen. He had already been sent off before he made for the linesman.

I'm sure I didn't imagine it, during the commentary it was mentioned that Foran was looking the opposite way from GMS watching the ball and GMS ran into Foran there was nothing intentional on Foran's part. I think it was John  Robertson who said it and he also said that it was clearly not a foul.

Can someone else remember what was said and if it was JR who said it ?

On the subject of the red card, It is also possible that Ciftic received another red card for the linesman incident ?.............I certainly think that the appeal is going to be thrown out and rightly so.

Seems like this is a new style of Arab tactics....cheating........obviously learned from watching the sly style of play from many of the Ceptic players who Lemmon portrays as little innocents when they get caught on camera.

Just back from my sojourn and would appreciate some comments about the following "criticisms" from Tuesday:

Biggest one is regarding Tremarco as he appears to have scored well in the POY scoring. I thought that he played well. I thought that as a defender he is an asset to the squad. I feel that he is and always will be a diehard, play for the shirt 110%'er. But I would have pulled him off around the hour mark - why ? - it was clear to me that the Arabs recognised that he was not a threat going forward and basically left him uncovered. He therefore saw plenty of the ball but apart from a couple of crosses he mainly passed to Doran or sideways. He looked good but didn't add any specific threat. We could have changed things around and put Shinnie on the left. I reckon that we could have won in the 90 if we had done that.

Is Billy McKay carrying a knock as he didn't look as full of running and a yard slower ?

Watkins, Williams and Toby all have the potential. Toby disappointed me and I can see why he is on the bench. Watkins needs to take defenders on more - lets face it he has more to offer than Rastamouse did.

Also showed to me how important it will be to keep our main men fit and ready - we are lacking in depth as much as any other season.

• Agree 1

Suspensions & injuries are bound to affect the team sometime, we`ve been fortunate so far.

I think the back up squad are okay probably better than ever. Maybe see what situation is like in January before deciding on any more new boys.

Just back from my sojourn and would appreciate some comments about the following "criticisms" from Tuesday:

Biggest one is regarding Tremarco as he appears to have scored well in the POY scoring. I thought that he played well. I thought that as a defender he is an asset to the squad. I feel that he is and always will be a diehard, play for the shirt 110%'er. But I would have pulled him off around the hour mark - why ? - it was clear to me that the Arabs recognised that he was not a threat going forward and basically left him uncovered. He therefore saw plenty of the ball but apart from a couple of crosses he mainly passed to Doran or sideways. He looked good but didn't add any specific threat. We could have changed things around and put Shinnie on the left. I reckon that we could have won in the 90 if we had done that.

Is Billy McKay carrying a knock as he didn't look as full of running and a yard slower ?

Watkins, Williams and Toby all have the potential. Toby disappointed me and I can see why he is on the bench. Watkins needs to take defenders on more - lets face it he has more to offer than Rastamouse did.

Also showed to me how important it will be to keep our main men fit and ready - we are lacking in depth as much as any other season.

A bit harsh on Tremarco I think IHE considering it was his first full game and he will take some time to adjust to the team. When we did take him off, Shinnie did move to the left but we basically played with 3 at the back then. I do feel we lose something by playing Shinnie on the right as he then temds to cut inside, not always a bad thing but better to have someone going on the outside.

As for Billy, he has taken a few hard tackles in the last few games including the United one so he well have an injury. I do think we are short in certain positions should we get injuries/suspensions but Williams and Tremarco look good back ups. I think Watkins will get better the more games he plays once he fully adjusts to the pace. Right back is an issue, can Cooper not play there?. Jury is out for me on toby but he has not impressed me greatly when I have seen him. Not sure that the other signings in the summer will really deliver much more and Curtis Byrne, signed as a back up striker looks like a waste of money at this point in time.

While Shinnie has been alright since he moved over to the right, one thing that has become apparent very quickly, is that he doesn't seem to have a right foot.  At all.  Obviously there's times when coming inside can be effective and even if his right foot was just mediocre it wouldn't be so bad, but he seems to need to come inside every time, which doesn't help much when he overlaps the winger.  Would swapping him and Tremarco round make a difference?  Could Watkins fill in at right back?  He's certainly tall and fairly strong.  I've also thought about playing Draper there in the past, but I think we'd lose a lot by taking him out of the middle.  Cooper is of course, another option.

On Curtis Allen (not Kurtis Byrne - he's ex-County player!), apparently he's been struggling with getting up the fitness for this league.  I've only seen him play once in the U20s and I thought at the time he looked a bit tubby.  He's certainly highly rated in the Northern Irish league, and supposedly is very skilful, but I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him released if he doesn't come into the squad in some capacity fairly soon.

• Agree 1

Agree with IHE, cant fault Tremarco as a defender but he did not link up well with Doran at all throughout the game, but as said his defensive ability and his workrate make him a great player. Delighted we got him on board. Dont like Shinnie at right back. For me id temporarily split the Warren/Meekings partnership. Put Meekings to right back and give Devine a chance. 

I dont think we are lacking in depth. Wide areas being a prime example. Doran was the only out and out winger we had last season. Whereas now we have him, Watkins, Greenhalgh and Williams all vying for a spot in the team and all have shown flashes of brilliance in the games they have played. 2 of the players that made Drapers goal on Tuesday were Toby and Williams. 2 players who came on against a quality side in United who were defending for their lives and made a winning impact. Compared to last season I think weve got a decent amount of depth in the squad this season. With an option to shuffle things about should we wish to. 

When you see it on the video (Arabzone highlights which are linked to earlier on this thread) there's really not much to it, as his hand is only in the vicinity of the linesman's neck for about half a second and it seems to be more of a push than a grab. But technically yes, he's got to get into trouble for it because you can't touch an official in an aggressive manner like that.

Similarly, his red card was rather soft but technically correct.

He could potentially end up being banned for quite a few games, as well as having cost his team the tie, all for some fairly mild handbags stuff in which nobody was even at risk of getting hurt.  So I can see why Utd might feel a bit hard done by from all of this, but at the end of the day, that'll teach'em!  :laugh:

Interesting comment in the Herald, which suggests that the red was earned before the Shinnie headlock incident.

"Herald Sport understands the referee's report confirms the sending off was for Ciftci slapping away the arm of an Inverness player, which took place moments before he grabbed the face of Graeme Shinnie, which sparked the first notice of complaint."

If this is correct then I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the appeal against the red (which must have been pretty soft seeing as none of us even spotted it) but then gets punished for the 2 subsequent offences that are in the SFA's notice of complaint.

While Shinnie has been alright since he moved over to the right, one thing that has become apparent very quickly, is that he doesn't seem to have a right foot.  At all.  Obviously there's times when coming inside can be effective and even if his right foot was just mediocre it wouldn't be so bad, but he seems to need to come inside every time, which doesn't help much when he overlaps the winger.  Would swapping him and Tremarco round make a difference?  Could Watkins fill in at right back?  He's certainly tall and fairly strong.  I've also thought about playing Draper there in the past, but I think we'd lose a lot by taking him out of the middle.  Cooper is of course, another option.

On Curtis Allen (not Kurtis Byrne - he's ex-County player!), apparently he's been struggling with getting up the fitness for this league.  I've only seen him play once in the U20s and I thought at the time he looked a bit tubby.  He's certainly highly rated in the Northern Irish league, and supposedly is very skilful, but I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him released if he doesn't come into the squad in some capacity fairly soon.

You are indeed correct Renegade. Call it a senior moment!.

With Butcher and Jackson also cited for misconduct

The charge for both is explained as "misconduct at a match by failing to behave in a responsible manner as an occupant of the technical area by acting in an aggressive manner towards players of the opposing team".  Guilty as charged, I fear, so its a case of getting the shortest ban possible.

But am I right in saying that we actually get better results when Butcher isn't allowed in the technical area?  Thrashed Dundee Utd last season to kickstart our season, and then came back to win on Tuesday. Any others occasions?