FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Slur on Club

HighlandCop

Maybe going a bit off topic, but when the FBO where introduced, i thought finally here is an opportunity to legally take action on the almost accepted secretarian/hate filled bile coming from the droves of Old Firm fans on a regular occurence.

Instead we are seeing the fans of smaller clubs being singled out for their behaviour, easy option rather than tackling the real issue within Scotland.

19 minutes ago, Stirling Observer said:

Maybe going a bit off topic, but when the FBO where introduced, i thought finally here is an opportunity to legally take action on the almost accepted secretarian/hate filled bile coming from the droves of Old Firm fans on a regular occurence.

Instead we are seeing the fans of smaller clubs being singled out for their behaviour, easy option rather than tackling the real issue within Scotland.

What? The rules being applied in a way that punishes smaller clubs whilst letting the Old Firm get away with murder? Surely not!

• Agree 2

20 hours ago, Scotty said:

Having witnessed stewards trying to stitch up a friend of mine at extremely close quarters by stating he said one thing when he in fact said something else

If your friend lives somewhat east of Inverness and found himself excluded from football for about a year before being completely cleared, it's probably the same person as I had a post-match session with in the Social Club on his return. The tale was so absolutely outrageous that I used it as a basis for a Highland News column illustrating the potential liabilities in attending football matches.

If some of these people have such sensory awareness that they can quote verbatim what is said by one individual in a stand of screaming football fans, then why are they just stewards?

• Disagree 1

22 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

The article doesnt state why if there were a group of others partaking what the actions of this individual were to draw attention? He may have been animated in a fashion that accompanied the vocals - whether he did it or not and whether he was a single person chanting or part of a larger group thats not for me or others on here to judge. He went to court and his defence was deemed not robust enough to have charges dropped - those are the facts based on the media report.

Hopefully this sends out a clear message to all ICT fans as this kind of chanting is not welcome, we should be a open club where all races, colours and religions can come along and enjoy football without comment or persecution - everyone knows this is wrong throughout not just football but society as a whole. Too much chanting based on culture or beliefs still exists in Scotland, its good to see a hardline stance taken - lets hope that other sherriffs see this and impose similar constraints on those who appear infront of them regardless of connection to ICT or other clubs - I'm fed up of some of the chants we hear at games (not usually from ICT fans I will add)

This is the best post in the thread. I do not agree with every word, particularly as I personally have an issue with the honesty and/or integrity of some stewards based on my own personal experiences but where guilt can be established without a reasonable doubt, and for everything else mentioned you are spot on .   

10 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

stewarding is only an issue if you hope to get away with unacceptable behaviour IMO. 

Stewarding is NOT only an issue if you hope to get away with unacceptable behaviour. You said it yourself in the very next sentence ... what about when the steward themselves is exhibiting the bad behaviour (ie. like lying or making stuff up or acting like some trumped up little hitler?). 

Not saying they did in this case, just that it bothers me that the sheriff appears to assume they are credible simply because they are in a position of power .... its like referees .... I have actually been present at games in the amateur league when I was on the committee and have seen incidents that then come up to the disciplinary committee and even though I know the referee report is a pile of horse**** and voice that to the committee we HAVE TO take the referee's word as gospel because at the time (pre Dougie McDonald) the SAFA and the SFA would never sanction a referee and admit they were lying.   

9 hours ago, Renegade said:

Hard to believe anyone has any sympathy with this clown who got banned though as using terms about teams and people especially from Romania was always asking for trouble.  Can't say I'll mourn the absence of this repeat offender who can't even get himself a half decent haircut.

In terms of this particular individual who has been banned, if he did it then he deserves to get some form of sanction but as I have said already, it strikes me, based on the article, that there are several things that may or may not add up and I am left wondering whether it is possible that he too could have been misheard. Its completely irrelevant now as he was found guilty and banned but what really bothered me was the inference made in judgement that the steward(s) were beyond reproach. Whilst most are very good, friendly and decent, that has not been my experience with all of the stewards at the TCS nor at other football grounds on two different continents so I am sorry, I do take what they say with a very large grain of salt.    

3 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

If your friend lives somewhat east of Inverness and found himself excluded from football for about a year before being completely cleared, it's probably the same person as I had a post-match session with in the Social Club on his return. The tale was so absolutely outrageous that I used it as a basis for a Highland News column illustrating the potential liabilities in attending football matches.

If some of these people have such sensory awareness that they can quote verbatim what is said by one individual in a stand of screaming football fans, then why are they just stewards?

It was a few years ago, before our then chief exec left to run the city centre. My friend was not officially excluded from the football as far as I am aware but was invited summoned down to a formal meeting with said exec as well as the DoF and threatened with having his season ticket revoked despite the lack of any credible evidence. He received a lot of support from those around him who verified his explanation of the real facts, and agreed that the steward(s) in question had - at best - either misheard him or were quite plain and simply lying. As someone who has (had) been a stalwart at the football since day one, and who had possessed a season ticket at the TCS since the day it opened, it left a very bitter taste in his mouth and he did give himself some self-imposed exile ... not because of any guilt, but because the club and its officers had treated him so shabbily. My friend, his wife, and his children still attend the football and still have season tickets but for a long time this episode was a very real impediment to his enjoyment. 

• Agree 1

The words quoted and tone were very audible. I do not know who uttered them but they were clearly directed at the Astra Manager and team who had been treated as the City of Inverness's guests. If you heard them you would have cringed. There was no defence. Nor is there any defence for people who lob or set off flares. What is the point?

In terms of fairness, we live in an unfair world. When Celtic come to play us, most of their fans stand up throughout the game but I do not recall 100s being arrested afterwards.

Our club tries to set high standards and on the assumption that the real perpetrator has been caught and punished that seems fair to me. 

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

The words quoted and tone were very audible. I do not know who uttered them but they were clearly directed at the Astra Manager and team who had been treated as the City of Inverness's guests. If you heard them you would have cringed. There was no defence. Nor is there any defence for people who lob or set off flares. What is the point?

In terms of fairness, we live in an unfair world. When Celtic come to play us, most of their fans stand up throughout the game but I do not recall 100s being arrested afterwards.

Our club tries to set high standards and on the assumption that the real perpetrator has been caught and punished that seems fair to me. 

You think people should be arrested for standing at the football ? The worlds gone mad !!