Unfortunate Surname

kencar

He's not Scheidt though.

'rafael scheidt

So farewell then Rafael

You cost several million

They must be laughing their bums off

On the Copacabana at that one

If you have tears prepare to shed them as we take a painful journey through the Celtic career of Rafael Scheidt.

December 15 1999 was the fateful day when the boy from Brazil finally put pen to paper, and caused a million guffaws at the pronunciation of his surname. His signing had been touted for many a month. Celtic contract guru Jim Hone had travelled to South America to clinch the deal that would see the Brazilian national team centre half sign up in Glasgow.

Basically things went badly wrong from minute one. He wasn't fit, on the eve of his debut he was taken to hospital with appendicitis, he collided with a team mate in training, injuring himself quite seriously in the process and by the time he was due to actually make an appearance the manager who had signed him was back in punditry purgatory.

In his first six months in Scotland he had played less than 90 minutes of first team football. Oh and there was small matter of a major scandal brewing in Brazil; apparently the national manager had been taking bungs from Brazilian league clubs to pick duds to play in meaningless friendly games, allegedly to seduce gullible European clubs into shelling out for a "Brazilian international". Sound familiar? '  see http://www.ntvcelticfanzine.com/

Would be fantastic if he signed and Scheidt was still there.

Can imagine Archie commentating in the Champions League game - "Fanni.....Scheidt...woof!"

Think of the commentary after Graham Bayne fouls said player

' Bayne just got stuck right into Fanni'

:023:

Guest Arab4Ever

I'm sure there was a lassie in my class called Lydia Kettle.

There was certainly a Kimberley Clark.

Kimberley Clark?...

In one of my previous jobs we had a client with the surname Stawartz, I sent the entire office into a fit of laughter that lasted an entire afternoon one day by seeing him out with the line "May the Force be with you"

I have always remembered a particular customer's name from my time in retail ......... I think I only dealt with him once or twice but the name stuck in my brain .......... R.C. Poupard [think about it !!!]