FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ICT V Arbroath - matchday thread

Andrew Fraser

Watt, I thought was the worst player in our team. Strolled through the match, more pedestrian than strolling, poor passing poor in the air and hoofed it the way he was facing. I would put him back where he came from, just did not look up to it I'm afraid. Russelldinho was great in spells, but persists in passing the ball to the opposition, Rossco whilst playing well, made a hash of most of his crosses.  Roy McBain had a good game overlapping well, Caff did ok, until him and Watt I'm sure got in a fankle, Barry tried hard and his shot off the crossbar was on the end of a neat three or four man move, dipping volley crashing back off the bar would have been a stunning goal had it gone in. Cowie worked hard and sprayed some good balls around as did Black who kept his cool again. Niculae gets some power in his shot with little backlift and a lot of his flicks and one touch football looked good. Wyness although scoring is turning into enigma man. He has all the talent yet struggles to put them away. He could have had three or four tonight, but didn't.  Morgan and Rankin came on as did Rory later but game petered out at the end.  All in all a comfortable and welcome win with the bonus of the strikers scoring the goals and especially Marius getting off the mark. Only downside for me was Macdonald not getting on, but he seems to be warming to the support, going over to the singing section at half time and having a bit of banter with the troops, well done Dean.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, baffled by the comments regarding Watt as he looked well off the pace, unless the Arbroath winger is an Olympic sprinter, he seemed to take five yards of Watt every time they went for a ball. He was not dominant in the air, he stumbled over the ball a number of times he lashed a couple of balls out of the ground his passing was okish, but nothing special. He did make a couple of decent tackles/blocks but otherwise for me he is not the answer to our defensive issues.

Presumably he needs match prctice and fitness therefore he maybe just needs time to adjust.

eh ? thought watt looked very good tonight for his first start. tokely had a good game too as captain. but some shocking defending for their goal. three defenders all looking at each other waiting for each other to clear it.brew can be in no doubt where we need to strengthen. nicolae was pure class.what a free kick.thought him a dennis linked up well.some good passing at times although some scrappy stuff too, but given we were playing against a team with so many behind the ball, not a bad night.

rory on and no deano? :018:

morgan seems back in the frame, brewster always did seem to rate him and have to say we could do a lot worse

st mirren lost by the way :015:

My opinions:

Fraser - didn't look confident, lead boots again

Tokely - good performance from the captain but seemed involved in the group mistake (Watt/Caff/Tokely?)  for the goal

Watt - looked decent but rusty

Caff - mostly ok but ducked for no apparent reason for their goal

McBain - excellent attacking threat but still not convinced he's a full back

Cowie - good engine but disappointed with his final ball/shooting & seems permnently out of position

Duncan - usual reliable holding role, several poor passes (many accurate ones too) & excellent run up the wing for Wyness goal

Black - my MotM, link up play was good, never reacted to opposition fouls

Wilson - played well, unlucky not to score (woodwork twice), not sure if he dived when booked but was through if not

Niculae - quality finishes + lot of hassling/tackling opposition

Wyness - mixed bag, some top stuff but gave the ball away too much

Subs- not enough time given to judge

enjoyable game, plenty of passing for a change, Arbroath not really up to much, defence really needs sorting out

The_Sponge - a good summary of the game, which I on the whole agree with.

Black is starting to mature and he is not reacting to bad tackles - long may this continue.  Marius is a class act and I am confident he will score many goals and create chances for others.  I think Wyness and Marius could go on to form a good partnership.

A good confidence boosting win tonight and I hope the team can build on this for the Hibs game.

If you still can't find it try scrolling upwards--I found my Player was hidden down below.

Thank you for that man showing this goal..manna tae ma heart since  I attended at Bayview, Methil, for many years  every other Saturday to see the  Fifers.

Once a team who were by far the best in Scotland, if not all of  the U.K.--if you don't believe me check out their very interesting web-site. From rags to riches and back to modest clothing again. It was  quite a success story and a ride.

Morgan and Rory were always two of Brews favourites. Glad to hear Marius I getting fitter but he needs to produce againtst bigger teams than Arbroath.

Picture the scene - Bucharest 2067. All the Niculae grandchildren huddled around Grandad Marius.

"Grandad, what was your greatest ever game"

"Well children - that is easy. It was on a balmy Tuesday night in Inverness when your Grandad took on the might of Arbroath and the legendary defenders Ferguson and Raeside. I scored two wrong range efforts and my name resounded all around the Moray Firth. God, did I earn my ?2000K that night.  :001:

Aye very good Johndo, back to your padded cell now.

He played neat one touch football and packs a mighty blow in that left boot. He will score against better opposition...................won't he?

But, we are still looking for a central defender surely.

Apart from the stupid goal we gave away we looked alright. Arbroath were pretty fit for a part-time side.

My take on our defensive howler was that Caff ducked (I assume someone else shouted?) and then Tokely headed the ball to there man who promptly scored? Very sloppy stuff.

Watt looked good in spells and then he would do something silly just as you thought he was cruising. He won quite a few balls in the air but misjudged quite a few more. Pacy he isn't but he did spray a few good passes about.

Niculae looked good. Some of his link up play was first class and the goals he scored were sweet.

Barry did dive  :018: Black looked more assured on the ball than of late and all in all it was a reasonably good win

That new boy Watt covered Caff and Rossco well and was solid in defence. I would like to see him partner Grant Munro in the centre and see if that creates a more solid stance. I must however been watching a different Watt to others.

Rossco on the other hand, I thought, was relishing the chance to make runs forward, but we needed Wilson on the right to make it work. They link up very well on their day! Barry on the left didnt work in honesty. He was making great runs forward but had to stop and backtrack to get it onto his stronger foot to cross it.

Caff, again this season, was weak at the back. He was slow in reacting and was at fault for arbroaths goal. I remember only one good tackle in the first half, that was it.

The front pairing of wyness and Niculae worked well. wyness held the ball up well enough for niculae (and others) to gain ground and have their efforts. Great to see them both on the score sheet with 3 nicely worked goal (and a keeper error at the free kick)

Glad to hear Marius I getting fitter but he needs to produce againtst bigger teams than Arbroath.

The same can be said for Denzil who never fails to score against lower leaue opposition, but has yet to come up with the goods in the SPL.

Must admit - I would dispute that - when Dargo went on his run in the SPL of scoring in 8 games in a row, didn't denzil also score in about 6 in a row against SPL competition.

Wasn't denzil the one who scored for us against celtic when we beat o neills mob up here in the cup

Without the injuries he's had and given a run in the team I think he would become the dennis of old - a wee shuffle and the ball resting in the opposition net

remember it's easy for us armchair critics to do just that - support is what gives players confidence and confidence plays a huge part in sport

Apart from the stupid goal we gave away we looked alright. Arbroath were pretty fit for a part-time side.

My take on our defensive howler was that Caff ducked (I assume someone else shouted?) and then Tokely headed the ball to there man who promptly scored? Very sloppy stuff.

Watt looked good in spells and then he would do something silly just as you thought he was cruising. He won quite a few balls in the air but misjudged quite a few more. Pacy he isn't but he did spray a few good passes about.

Niculae looked good. Some of his link up play was first class and the goals he scored were sweet.

Barry did dive  :018: Black looked more assured on the ball than of late and all in all it was a reasonably good win

I too must agree, Ian Black was excellent last night despite one or two heavy challenges on him, he got up dusted himself off and made arbroath pay for what they had done to him - my MOTM by a long way even taking into account our our very own romanian/scot Marius Mcniculae

Watt looked rusty (not surprisingly) and could do with some Brewster style fitness training, but otherwise showed signs of being solid (a younger version of Bobby Mann).

Roscoe seems to be trying to set a new record for the number of headed assists for opposition goals :017:

Caff looked very suspect in the first half, but I thought for the majority of the second he was more solid - Probably down to Tosh being tired though. Up against the more potent threats from the SPL he just is not up to it unfortunately.

Cowie's mobility again was good and Black was also good.

im not surprised munro and bayne never played, both were favorites of brewster

""

Fraser, Tokely, Watt, McCaffrey, McBain, Wilson, Black, Duncan, Cowie, Wyness, Nicuale

Subs- McAllister, McDonald, Rankin, Morgan, Rigers.""

to me that looks like he wanted to have a look at the following- watt, caff, mcbain, wyness, wilson, morgan, rankin, macdonald (did he play?) and cowie

wouldnt read too much into the dropped players, if anything it means theyre already rated

Glad to hear Marius I getting fitter but he needs to produce againtst bigger teams than Arbroath.

The same can be said for Denzil who never fails to score against lower leaue opposition, but has yet to come up with the goods in the SPL.

Must admit - I would dispute that - when Dargo went on his run in the SPL of scoring in 8 games in a row, didn't denzil also score in about 6 in a row against SPL competition.

Wasn't denzil the one who scored for us against celtic when we beat o neills mob up here in the cup

Without the injuries he's had and given a run in the team I think he would become the dennis of old - a wee shuffle and the ball resting in the opposition net

remember it's easy for us armchair critics to do just that - support is what gives players confidence and confidence plays a huge part in sport

I think you're right about the scoring run - it rings a vague bell somewhere in the recess of my memory, which isn't quite what it used to be, not that it was very very good. I am happy to stand corrected and hope Dennis gets back to that kind of form this season. Haven't seen the sweet shuffle work its magic for a while.