FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Founded Dates

CaleyD

Ok, I'm trying to clear up some confusion as to the exact (recognised) founding dates for Caledonian FC and Inverness Thistle FC.

I seem to have 2 dates for Caley...1885 and 1886.  I noticed the gates at Telford Park had 1886 so I'm guessing this would be the "recognised" date?

Haven't look so much in to Thistle, but from what I have seen it would seem the date for them was 1885.  The only confusion seems to be that some sources quote them as being 110 years old at the time of the merger which would place the founding date as 1884.

Help!!!!

Can confirm definitely 1885 for Jags.

Of interest might be the date of 7th March 1885. This is, according to the'Inverness Advertiser', the date of the first football match to be played in Inverness under Association Rules. Crown v Nairn.

Crown were later 'absorbed' by Jags in 1889 !

I'd imagine Nairn gave them a good seeing to. :015:

Wouldn't have been Nairn County as such, because as far as I know, they were officially formed in 1914.

There you go IHE, you are referring to the Ides of March, the 7th March, my birthday believe it or not . :022:

The Ides can also be the 15th , depending on how the Roman Calendar depicted events I believe--Charles, can we have a formal review of this important date?

Probably explains my intense interest in all things football not to mention the history of football in Inverness. S'great, mon. :014: :sillywave:

"March, July, October, May... nones on the seventh, ides on the fifteenth day."

That was how the rhyme went that you had to learn in the Latin class to remember the months that the nones and the ides weren't on the 5th and the 13th. The other reference point in the Roman month was the Calends which were always the 1st day and from which we get the word calendar.

So SP, the 7th of March is not the ides of March but the nones. The Ides of March ("cave idus Martias - beware the Ides of March" as the soothsayer said to Caesar just before he got the point!) are the 15th and tomorrow is the Ides of October.

Anyway... to get back to Inverness football.... I have certainly seen 1885 and 6 for Caley and 1884 and 5 for Thistle but always understood the real foundation dates to be 1886 and 1885 respectively. As an aside, it's quite amazing the number of sporting institutions which were founded in the final quarter of the 19th century.

The timescale for Caley Thistle is that both clubs agreed to merge on 9th September 1993 (although Sherriff Fraser's judgement of March 1995 said that Thistle did not actually in law decide to do it that night but at a later meeting.)

The decision to merge was confirmed by Caley members at the First Battle of Rose Street on 1st Dec 1993 and Caledonian Thistle had its first board meeting and was constituted as a club on 21st February 1994. The team played its first SFL game on August 12th 1994 and final agreement was given to asset transfer by Caley and Thistle on 1st and 8th December 1994 respectively.