FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Alan Morgan....haha

Guest Gowie

God, this guy is a comedian. Read a quote in the paper today.

"With all respect to Inverness, I believe Killie are a bigger club, having been in the top flight for a lot longer. Expectations are different as well. There are only a few clubs in the SPL who at the start of the season say their aim is to avoid relegation and Caley Thistle are one of them. Kilmarnock say 'we need top six', rather than 'top six would be nice'. That was another factor in my move."

Side splitting really. How's that whole top 6 thing working out for Killie this season? And it really annoys me when people talk about Caley as if they are out of their depth in the SPL and that every year will be some big struggle for survival.

Basically, no games here, Killie can pay more. A bit of honesty please.

I think we are a bottom six club until we get to the top six.  I know it sounds obvious but really we are just hoping to go a bit higher rather than expecting it.

And I must say, I like that we don't have unnecessarily high expectations and appreciate what we have.  I'm proud of what ICT has achieved on a modest budget with small crowds.  Compare that with Peterhead, Brentford, Livi or even Newcastle.

Chris

Killy top 6?

I would say that our club has far greater potential than killy, we are growing stronger year on year

If you look at whats been achieved over the last decade its only the beginning.

When Morgan is an old man, he will be bragging that he once played for ICT.

I think what he says about ICT is fair enough but he is simply spouting the same kind of stuff any new signing would do. "This club is a sleeping giant" or "should be higher in the league". Usual clich?d stuff from the newest signing.

I don't see much wrong with Morgan's comments in the circumstances.

Unfortunately much of what he is saying is true....

But surely that way of thinking has to change..?  Caley are now firmly established as an SPL side, and one who won't just have Gretna to thank for another season playing in the top flight...

This club is progressing at a sensible and steady pace - ICT has as much - if not more of a right to be here as the likes of St Mirren, Falkirk, Motherwell and Killie....

Where does the massive inferiority complex come from..?

He didn't decide to move to a bigger club as he suggests, he couldn't get a game here and didn't have his contract renewed. Killy gave him a chance like we did when they released Dargo. He's obviously better at spinning the truth than he is at spinning past defenders.

Shame it didn't work out for him at TCS, I thought he was going to go on to become one of our best players when he first arrived. He was just unlucky that we have so many good left sided midfielders.

I have a problem with his comments, his leaving had nothing to do with ICT being smaller than Killie (arent we smaller than Blackburn too?) and everything to do with him not cutting it either during his extended chances or during his loan to Ross County.

Wouldnt expect him to be honest though, he's only building himself to fail with his new fans.  Best of luck to them making up the points difference before the end of the season.

See you after the split  :023:

Survival First always has to be the #1 priority for ANY club in the top flight, I don't have a problem with that as it's dangerous to take your eye off the game.

Hearts and Hibs are teams that have probably got to the stage where they expect to be top 6 every year....look what's happening to them just now.  Even Kilmarnock, who are probably more comparable to ourselves, and who have done well in recent years, are struggling.

Top 6 should be the target we are looking for as a club now, but that does not mean that we should become complacent about survival.

I always had a bit of time for Morgan too.  I don't see his comments as anything other than slightly naive.  Just the usual posturing of a new player trying to make his mark with his new club's fans.  Some of what he said is true.  At the moment Killie are a bigger club than us in terms of ground, crowd, wages, history.  But in terms of performance, we certainly have their measure this year.

Despite my intial hissy fit over his remarks, I always thought he deserved more of a chance here and was sad to see him leave. But then we couldn't expect him to hang around long. He does deserve some first team action. I hope he can find that at Killie.

Its just sound-bites for his new club. nothing to get too wound up about as he does have some truth in there !! I wish him well as he tries to get on the good side of Bingham Legend  :004:

With all respect to Inverness, I believe Killie are a bigger club, having been in the top flight for a lot longer.

I think this could be said to be true most seasons but for how much longer is the real question ? They are at the wrong end of the table and struggling with debt.

You could arguably say that Dundee, Dunfermline, St Johnstone, Partick Thistle and others are bigger than ICT but you are only as good as where you finished the last season and each of the those clubs have been dealt hammer blows by being relegated and if/when they come back to the SPL they will perhaps have the potential to be big clubs again (sleeping giants and all that guff) but its not a divine right. If Killie were to go down in the next season or two, would they recover ?

Expectations are different as well. There are only a few clubs in the SPL who at the start of the season say their aim is to avoid relegation and Caley Thistle are one of them. Kilmarnock say 'we need top six', rather than 'top six would be nice'.

I agree with him to an extent here as the one thing that used to wind me up about Charlie was his constant use of the phrase "a club of our size". All clubs want top six, all clubs outwith the OF realistically want third place but the reality is that most clubs in the SPL have two aims at the start of the season - avoid the relegation battle and get into the top six for the final few games. If you get blase about your league position, expecting to be in the top half, you might find yourself in 9th place, 9 points adrift of ICT.

For all the moaning some of us (myself included) have done about CB, I did like his comment - when we were 12th - that his aim was always to catch the team in front of him ... he's done that and now we are chasing the team in 6th place.

Another reason Killie might be saying we "need" top six is to service their debt  :023: In Caley Thistle's case, it is therefore correct to say that top six would be nice as we have no debt to service. Although we might now "need" top six because we aint getting a cup run.

That was another factor in my move.

No. The factor in your move young man was that your contract ended and you werent offered another one. It was perhaps good luck that you ended up at Killie.

I think Alan could have done a job for us but, unfortunately, like one or two others he felt he should be playing regular first team and was not happy being just a squad player. This is something that happens at all clubs. Lads become more ambitious than their club can allow so they make a song and dance and are then allowed to leave. Sometimes they're successful where they go. Sometimes they fail. One of the points that should be remembered before critisising such players is that they all want to earn more, just like the rest of us, and if they cant break into the first team they are not eligible for the bonus's etc.

I wish Alan, and any other player, every success in their choices to progress in their career's elsewhere.

Bottom line is he was not good enough, too lazy, not even good enough for Ross County, forget him, he's history.

Agreed. I saw some flashes from him (I can't comment further until the trial) but nothing to make the case for a regular start, and he was dreadful the three times I saw him play for County. Good luck son, but don't try to make out that you've been anything other than fortunate to secure a reprieve from exile to the Blue Star North or whatever. You may remember a lad called Mark Brown, after he left, telling the press what a cracking job he'd done in getting ICT into the SPL and single-handedly keeping them there for a couple of seasons; that lad is now picking green and white splinters out of his erse, and will be doing so for the best years of what could have been his career; and at least he chose to move...

You may remember a lad called Mark Brown, after he left, telling the press what a cracking job he'd done in getting ICT into the SPL and single-handedly keeping them there for a couple of seasons; that lad is now picking green and white splinters out of his erse, and will be doing so for the best years of what could have been his career; and at least he chose to move...

When did Mark say this???

A print interview shortly after he left, if memory serves. There were direct quotes from it on here - I'll see if I can find the article.

EDIT: Can't find the print version(s), but here's a radio clip, the last 30 seconds of which gives you a taste of the attitude: MB came to us having been laid off by Motherwell when we were 'struggling a bit in the first division' and now we're eighth in the SPL, so it's been beneficial to both sides i.e. we gave him a job and he got us promoted. I remember listening to it after reading some of the articles and thinking 'good riddance'.