FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Who'd be a football manager..?

Johnboy

Ok... So it was only Gretna today and hardly a comfortable scoreline, but with news coming through tonight that a peaceful solution has been arrived at regarding the situation with Ian Black, plus the fact that Denzil got a game today, I'd say Brewster deserves credit for getting through a very difficult time.

All those who've been calling for his head recently should think again.

Ok... So it was only Gretna today and hardly a comfortable scoreline, but with news coming through tonight that a peaceful solution has been arrived at regarding the situation with Ian Black, plus the fact that Denzil got a game today, I'd say Brewster deserves credit for getting through a very difficult time.

All those who've been calling for his head recently should think again.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

We managed to beat an already relegated team 2-1 - a team who have lost half their squad due to near liquidation.

We haven't won a game against ANY other team in the league since we played Gretna last time.

I think it is a bit early to be applauding Brewster too much.  :017:

Today's result will not change anyone's opinion of him.

I remain unconvinced that he has the tactical nous to be a long term success with us, but much of the ill-informed criticism of other aspects of his management has been hysterical. Time will tell that the difficult Black and Wyness situations in particular were handled a lot better than he is given credit for.

Off the top of my head I can recall a few criticisms on this forum in recent weeks that back-up the "who'd be a manager" theme.

- he brought McAllister on

- he didn't bring McAllister on early enough

- he didn't play Wyness (oh, and he's a liar because he said he'd give him a chance before the end of the season)

- he did play Wyness!

- he hasn't freshened things up enough and given fringe players their chance

- he made too many changes for the Killie game

- he should be playing Hart more

- why's he playing Hart when he's leaving in the summer?

- he doesn't give flare players a chance

- why's he even looking at Juanjo?

- he's too loyal to dead wood players

- What does he think he's doing dropping a legend like Wilson/Wyness/other player well past his best?

- he should have informed us promptly what happened with Wyness/Black

- he shouldn't be commenting publicly on dressing room matters

I smile when I see posters stating confidently that they could do a better job. Stick to Football Manager!

There's not a single poster on this site who could do a better job, despite what some of them confidently believe.

Our fans have been spoiled with relative success for 14 years and we will have to learn to cope with bad spells a bit more rationally than we have done.

Yngwie, you have posted that time will tell if Brew has got it right about a number of things and in particular Black and Wyness. If things do not improve and the next 5 (or 4 if Gretna fold) games result in defeats I doubt that there will be any time left for him.

In general I agree with parts of your post that it has been easy to bash Brew on the basis of speculation and rumour - it is easy to  do this when results are not going well but he has done little to help his own position.

If we do not get results in the next 5 games then bye-bye Brew  - he will have had enough time by then

I agree with Yngwie that we have to cope with the bad times. Dundee United, Motherwell and our neighbours Aberdeen were for years relegation fodder. Only the SPL rules on large all seater stadia that did not exist outwith the SPL saved them from the trap door opening.

However, something went seriously wrong behind the scenes. The rise of John Rankin lead to a resurgence and at some time he decided he wasn't wanted and made real steps to protect himself by selling his house. The team then perhaps coincidentally then plummetted. MOM and POM awards seemed to be our zenith too. However, no manager can be pleased with 7 straight defeats and having experienced even worse than that in his last very unsuccessful job it seemed fair that we reminded Brew that although he said he had learned from his Dundee United nightmare, he perhaps hadn't learned enough. I hope this period has been a great learning experience not just for Ian Black.

Yngwie,dont you think maybe Wyness was used cos nobody else was available. Niculae and Bayne both crocked.

Didn't realise Bayne was injured, but the manager would have still played McAllister, Wilson, or Patti up front instead if, as some would have you believe, he was so spiteful and egotistical.

We put Brewster down all the time!

personally i think he does have some down falls.

but he believed in the team when no one else did!!

he kept by there sides!!

as long as he does well in the transfer window then I'll keep in believing in him!!

he kept by there sides!!

care to explain this ?

I dont think many of us have ever not 'believed in the team' even when they make it difficult ....  and CB didnt exactly 'keep by our side' when he went to Tannadice .....

as long as he does well in the transfer window then I'll keep in believing in him!!

You weren't saying that yesterday in the ICT V Gretna matchday thread when it was 0-0!

we have the right to change our minds!!

he kept by there sides!!

care to explain this ?

I don't think many of us have ever not 'believed in the team' even when they make it difficult ....  and CB didn't exactly 'keep by our side' when he went to Tandie .....

I just think pepole are to critical of him!!

You weren't saying that yesterday in the ICT V Gretna matchday thread when it was 0-0!

we have the right to change our minds!!

Keep is the word you used so you can't have changed your mind! :tic01:

Guest CaleyJaggy

and CB didnt exactly 'keep by our side' when he went to Tannadice .....

Which might explain why some players have even less respect for him than before...

Aye and if they had an offer or opportunity to go to a bigger club for more money, they'd turn that down?  :024: