FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Darren Campbell

nude_as_the_news

It appears he joined Reading as a trainee in April 2003 but although has been playing reserve football had only played one first team game (as a substitute against Watford) although he seems to have played twice for Tamworth when out on loan.  Released in 2006.

Has played for England U-16's, Scotland U-17's and Scotland U-19's

Looks like we have found a bustling centre forward.  :001:

Darren Campbell scored a stunning double to lift the Celebs in their practice match against Newcastle United's under-18 side. In spite of losing 4-2 they will have been encouraged by a spirited second half display.

The Celebs will want to forget the first half, when they struggled to get going and went behind by four goals.

The second half was a different story. On came Wilkes, Hutton, Harvey and Campbell and for the first time we saw the Celebs put the academy side under pressure.

Wilkes marshalled the defence with authority, telling everyone what was expected of them, including the referee. Andy Scott-Lee moved to central midfield and began threading passes through to the dangerous strike partnership of Campbell and Harvey.

Scott-Lee's excellent through ball put Harvey in on goal, but after rounding the keeper and slotting home he discovered the ref had blown for a push.

Scott-Lee then weaved his way through the defence and though his shot was well saved, Campbell tucked away the rebound.

Wilkes had a towering header from Olivier's free kick saved by the keeper, before Campbell leapt above the Newcastle defence to send a bullet header into the net from Hutton's excellent cross.

So after a disappointing start, the Celebs came on strong and will be growing in confidence.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know where we are re trialling this yougster?  I've been asking around my local Reading FC forum.  Everyone says he was extremely promising, and quick, but had terrible luck with injuries.  Sounds to me as if he might be a decent prospect, if he is now injury free.  Everyone wished him well, which I thought was a good sign.

He did not make the grade, ok but not enough to sign him, and he won't bustle much, he is about the build of Dargo and both look about fifteen. :010:

Dargo actually looks gigantic next to Campbell. I think if he had turned out to be outstanding he would have got an offer but as it is we're already top heavy in midfield. We even turned down two loan offers from Sheffield. CC is looking for a striker but allowed the lad a trial to see what he could do.