FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Golly

davieB

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His performance is under discussion, I'm not reading anything out of order, and if Golly doesn't want to read it then he doesn't have to. What about free speech Johnboy? How would you like it if the Scotsman only printed your letters where you were nice and didn't question or criticise  the status quo?

oh my!!!

guys, guys, guys.....

no player gets up in the morning and says, i feel like having a ***** game today.....

no manager gets up in the morning and says, i'm going to pick the worst team today....

we all... ALL have ***** days, and ***** performances from time to time and what do we do??? 

we get on with it!  and we learn from our mistakes and try harder next time to not repeat those mistakes

it's the first game, lets all settle down into a nice rhythm and all will be well!

Trust a bird who has never seen ICT to come out with a sensible post like this.... get along to a few games and join the emotional roller coaster fan club.

It gets you muttering when you walk the dog, partners pat you on the head and say ' awww never mind...  maybe next time'. you avoid the papers on sunday - well i try,  and you end up thinking if only Denzils shot had gone back to Dargs and he'd scored....

And drinks promised only have a short shelf life!  :016:

oh my!!!

not sure now mee, sounds like my drinks may have gone off!  :019:

but i cant WAIT to get into the 'emotional' side of it cali babe!  will you swap shirts with me when we win?  :004:  and if we lose, (which we won't!) i can pat your..... head! :004:

As Hastings was an important player in the defence last season I would like to know Charlie's thoughts behind his selection of Golly instead of Hastings.  Did Golly have a better pre-season or look better in the friendlies?

I think there were others in the defence and midfield last Saturday that didn't cover themselves in glory.  Bring on the Dons and what better time to record the first win against them.  We need to go back to basics ie make it hard for the other team to paly against us, and then hit on the break.  This is the style of play that ensured our 2 seasons (so far) in the spl, and I don't see any reason to cahnge.

BTW, I didn't hear any cheering in the main stand when Golly got subbed).

Hastings should have been CC's first choice, perhaps he was not 100% fit? this is why Caff played at RB.

Still think Proctor is better than Caff at RB, and Morgan should have been LM.

Guest sophia

Mee,

If you do not know the difference between infantile abuse and criticism that is in any way constructive then feel free to wallow in the regular witchhunts that this board throws up.

It is fairly obvious that SG is not playing to the same standard as before, the Desperate Dan chest is not puffed up like it was.

I've got a good idea, why not whip up such odium that it makes even harder for him to regain his confidence.

Somebody (JB?) made a comment about Mark Brown being at fault, I thought he done well to make the save he did at the first goal before the rebound was netted, which could have been prevented if our defence had been more alert.  The defence was not great on Saturday at all, maybe the steadying influence of Rossco and Hastings either side of Dods and Munro is missed more than we know.  Although more than likely it was just an off day.

As for Golly I thought against Sheffield Utd he was bloody awful but he eclipsed that against the Midden.  What to do?  I dont know - I'm not the manager, either way we can be sure that he doesn't play badly on purpose.  The fact is he did indeed have a very bad game but I'm sure he knows that and wants to make up for it, it is up to CC as to when he gets that chance tho.

feel free to wallow in the regular witchhunts that this board throws up.

It is fairly obvious that SG is not playing to the same standard as before, the Desperate Dan chest is not puffed up like it was.

I've got a good idea, why not whip up such odium that it makes even harder for him to regain his confidence.

Witch-hunt ? I dont think so. Is it a witch-hunt when players are regularly praised for doing well, or when the Board, Grassa, David Sutherland, or Charlie get plaudits for what we see as good decisions ? NO ? I guess its only a witch hunt when it doesnt match your opinion or when someone has the audacity to criticise a bad performance ?

We can all be "nicey nicey" about the team, try to spin a crap performance into something it wasnt, or bury our head in the sand and be "nice-n-fluffy" but the fact of the matter is that last weeks performance got an "F" and rightly or wrongly Golly has - on this occasion - been deemed by a large number of fans to have been one of the main culprits.

At the end of the day, Charlie and DP will pick the team that they think will win the game, they will get it spectacularly right on some occasions and quite wrong on others - thats what humans do - we get things right sometimes and we make mistakes at others !!!

Another unique aspect of human nature is the ability for each of us to hold different opinions ....I do not necessarily agree with all that has been said about Golly in this thread but everyone is entitled to their opinion and to post and debate that opinion (unless deemed slanderous, libellous etc).

Personally, I think Golly has been, and still is, a great asset to our club. I like the guy as an ICT player and hope his form can recover. HOWEVER, SG would be the first person to admit that his performance was not up to the standard we have seen from him before or what we are entitled to expect. It is also fairly reasonable for users to question why Richard Hastings was not in the starting lineup as he was an almost ever-present for us in that position last season.

I cant remember who said it - think it was last season - but it was suggested that an internet fans forum is pretty much an online "pub discussion" - filled with the sort of thing you would have come across in many pubs around Inverness sometime after 5pm on Saturday. The only difference being that you can get more people round the table in this environment.

I never thought I would say this on a thread on this site, but the most sensible posting I have seen was one made by F*ballers Wife  :004: :010: when she said ......

no player gets up in the morning and says, i feel like having a shite game today.....

no manager gets up in the morning and says, i'm going to pick the worst team today....

we all... ALL have shite days, and shite performances from time to time and what do we do???

we get on with it!  and we learn from our mistakes and try harder next time to not repeat those mistakes

it's the first game, lets all settle down into a nice rhythm and all will be well!

I would agree with that last paragraph, Scotty - Fw's post was the most sensible and ideally, should wrap up this thread.... but it won't....

KB - I would class Mark Brown as one of the best keepers in the SPL...  but I'm quite sure he would be the first to admit he should have done better for the first goal ... it was a good stop but if you're not sure about holding on to it you push it to safety.... For him it was a rare mistake.... St Mirren definitely got a lift from that goal.....

Mee,

If you do not know the difference between infantile abuse and criticism that is in any way constructive then feel free to wallow in the regular witchhunts that this board throws up.

Everybody's whining about infantile abuse, well where is it? You won't find it in my posts, and I haven't noticed it in anyone else's. Maybe if you'd married a decent footballer, or supported a decent football team, you wouldn't be so bitter and twisted Sophia,

Guest sophia

Mee, it is in the first sentence of the first paragraph of the first post!

Thanks for clearing that up Scotty.

You will recall the fulmination that spewed out on a previous incarnation of this site when Les Fridge had some poor games whilst carrying an injury.

I am not saying that posters should not hold or even refrain from promulgating their views, rather that contributors cannot really get away with thinking that they can post unbalanced views with impunity. Damage to one's credibility can be permanent!

Theres nothing in DavieB's post thats abusive. I personally find it more abusive that you slagged off Oats for his use of punctuation - didn't you think how he would feel?

As you've been told, this is a discussion forum for followers of Caley Thistle, where the players performances are going to be discussed, good or bad. like it or lump it/

Guest sophia

"Everybody's whining about infantile abuse, well where is it? You won't find it in my posts, and I haven't noticed it in anyone else's. Maybe if you'd married a decent footballer, or supported a decent football team, you wouldn't be so bitter and twisted Sophia, "

Mee, have another look and see if you can spot it!

Mee, it is in the first sentence of the first paragraph of the first post!

Thanks for clearing that up Scotty.

You will recall the fulmination that spewed out on a previous incarnation of this site when Les Fridge had some poor games whilst carrying an injury.

I am not saying that posters should not hold or even refrain from promulgating their views, rather that contributors cannot really get away with thinking that they can post unbalanced views with impunity. Damage to one's credibility can be permanent!

Blimey! Someone ate a thesaurus!

1 example in almost 13 years of the site's existence  ?

feel free to wallow in the regular witchhunts that this board throws up.

... wallowing ...  :004:

To be fair, I do recall LF getting a hard time from some posters but NOT from all, I also remember the same of Hastings when he left the club previously as well as Xausa, McCulloch and others. However, I also remember support for players like Sheerin over the Taxi incident, Denzil when he went to Hearts, Wilson when he went to Livi etc so although you choose to focus only on negativity, the posters on this site, who as I have said previously, are entitled to their own opinion, can regularly be very positive about our club, our team and our players.

This is the first chance I've had to read through this thread and I wasn't at the game so cant offer first hand critism. I did, however, see the Setanta highlights and would agree that both St M's goals came from defensive mistakes that should not have been made. So Golly had a bad game? From what I have seen and read the whole team had a bad game. Dont know how true it was but the Sunday Mail reported us as having a large number of shots on target but only one goal whereas St M had two shots on target and two goals. If that is the case then we need to look at more than just Golly's performance.

Supporters of this club very rarely issue praise for good performance on these threads. They always try and find the bad and make comment to that end. If the team is having a bad day then that can affect an individual more. Perhaps Golly's performance was as a result of his frustrations with the rest of his team. If the team, as a whole, were playing great football and scoring goals then the mistakes would go un-noticed but if its a bad team performance we look for scapegoats.

Personally, I would like to see Golly bounce back from this one and show us his true capabilities. As for the team, I know they will bounce back.

There are plenty of areas & opportunities on this site for posting all kinds of criticism on anyone's performance on a given day....

What I'm objecting to is the designation of 1 thread for the sole purpose of inviting adverse & sometimes insulting comments on 1 individual player.........

What can possibly be achieved by this? Apart from politicians (and they deserve all the abuse they get) how many other professional people have to put up with so much bullsh*t  from individuals who have never even played football, let alone reached premier league status.....?