FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Is the G-word racist?

caleykid1994

I havent read the posts above but there is potential for a online petition here...

and nobody in the north stand should be offeneded because if they were gyp*y's then why arent they watching county?

Edited by caleymad

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent read the posts above but there is potential for a online petition here...

and nobody in the north stand should be offeneded because if they were gyp*y's then why arent they watching county?

Steven, you have a lot to learn about life. have you any idea how many Gypsy travellers there are living in Inverness. Or even Elgin for that matter.

Steven, you have a lot to learn about life. have you any idea how many Gypsy travellers there are living in Inverness. Or even Elgin for that matter.

Am not going to reply because my comment would be seen as a bit racist :mellow:

But yep i know how much are in Inverness and the one's in Elgin are always getting spoken about.... (in a nice way of course :lol: )

So what if they say we cant say gypsy...oops just said it. Stuff them we should continue to sing whatever songs we like on Sunday are they really going to throw out 20-30 people I doubt it. If they do they will soon regret it. Just ignore Smith he's a tw@t.

Gypsy

Edited by Joe DiMaggio

So what if they say we cant say gypsy...oops just said it. Stuff them we should continue to sing whatever songs we like on Sunday are they really going to throw out 20-30 people I doubt it. Just , if they do they will soon regret it. Just ignore Smith he's a tw@t.

Gypsy

Nicely said.

My personal view on this is that our referring to C*unty fans as Gypsies has absolutely no roots or basis in racism....I also think I would be correct in saying that it was a something they were called before we joined the SFL? It is certainly a term that has been used for far longer than "Gypsy" has been recognised/considered as a race.

Like many words, it has to be taken in the context of it's use. It annoys the hell out of me that the word "Black" has become such a taboo these days...so much so that we're having to change nursery rhymes, blackboards have become chalk boards and people are being reported for telling their kids they've come in black (as opposed to dirty) when they've been out playing.

Who exactly are those who are complaining? I'll put money on it being the kind of people who feel they should be getting offended on behalf of others and that in reality the C*unty fans....or indeed any Gypsies that may be in the crowd....don't give two hoots.

The law in this country says "Innocent until proven Guilty" and I would defend my right to refer to C*unty fans as Gypsies to the bitter end if I had too. Anyone who wishes to challenge me on that then has the burden of proof insofar as showing that my use of the word in the context of banter between two sets of fans has any basis in racism.

With regards the Supporters Trust. Some of the board had a meeting with the club on this matter, and as LG said, we left that meeting and did not feel any need to communicate anything to the fans as a result of the discussions we had. That's why I was very surprised to hear that the club had instructed Stewards to "warn" fans on the matter and wish to gather more information on the exact nature of what was said to people in Section G on Saturday.

Well why are the club designating the section as "G" if you cannot use the word Gypsy whilst seated there.

Is the expression of delight ,"Golly Gosh" when ICT scores, also regarded as "non-U", or "infra-dig" or not cool or racist or in some way unacceptable . If so then why bother going to a match at all.?

The club should just hire zombies or blow-up dolls to sit in the stands instead . Don't allow human beings in at all since they might even become passionate about the football and let something slip such as "ffs Jimmy, keep the ball low the next time".

What would the Pimple's reaction be if he went over to Timbuctoo and heard the local yokels referring to him as that Moosehead Canadian or even "Eskimo Nell"? Would he register a "racist" complaint withn the local police ,pray tell?

Knowing the demented SP as I do ,I would warrant that he would fall over laughing hysterically and possibly in convulsions also. Having regained a measure of consciousness he would definitely hie-ho down to the local sand-bar in the "TOO" to engage the locals in highly amusing banter about Redskin Rover the imported right back of the local team who heils from Fort Apache Creek in the Great White North of Alberta, whom we know from past experience could not care less if the fans call him "Reddy the Rocket" or "Feather Brain" since they think that his new Mohawk haircut is a mini Headress. And when the other guy is ignorant anyway why disabuse him of his ideas since it might simply make him miserable for goodness sake.

And heaven forbid if Andre the Onion Johnny from Brittany , who used to come round the doors selling his onions off the handlebars of his bike in the 1950's here in Inverness, has by now sired grown children who want to play for Caley Thistle instead of their current occupation of selling more onions out of their New Nissan Pathfinder round Culbokie.What will the Management do or say then when the new ICT right back is referred to by the County fans as Froggy Franc or even, shudder, Kermit the Frog....eh?

Gentlemen of the Jury I submit to you in all seriousness that , despite your wiggy appendages set upon your August heids making you look like demented sheep, does the Management of the Club not completely understand that they have more things to currently worry about than this paltry and thoroughly ridiculous matter ? And, if their rage at the SFA rules rises when this factor does finally percolate into their minds fully, do you think that it might be a damn good idea if they rose up in rebellion against the fuddy duddy stupid people running the SFA and their politically correct nonsensical "no-common-sense" rules?

If not, my dear friends, then the 3000 or so fans that they are lucky to currently have may dwindle to even greater lows. Of course if the SFA can set aside their Martinis long enogh to pay the wages of the likes of the club of ICT then maybe that is what the club should be asking these people to do!!!.

This rot started when the SFA and airy fairy Football Bodies took away the terracing from the average fan and tried to solve all the ills of the world by instituting rules and regulations which appear to have taken all the rough and tumble fun out of going to a football match these days, without applying any common sense. to the situation.

Frankly speaking the whole thing is unbelievable. So I had better stop whilst I may be ahead, otherwise at my age I might have a serious attack of goitre ,or even gout heaven forbid.

Daddy Pimpernel.

heres a thought..... If Mr Smith wants us to stop due to a handfull of "Fans" thinking its wrong, With this thought with handfull making the rules, why is it when Hundereds if not thousands of fans thought/think management team/teams are wrong, do they do nothing, double standards me thinks, not just this time around

Also i looked up Gypo in the Dickshunerycoff, and Racsist (both spelt wrong but spell check helped the first time around) and at no point could i see a link.

DIRTY UNWASHED CARAVAN DWELLING HALF/IN BREEDS SHADOW LIVING NEVER QUITE GOODENOUGH ALWAYS THE BRIDES MAID ERSHOLES!!

They've pissed in more sinks than they have washed in.....

Manfer, dearie

I would but I can't since it was my Daddy who posted that last one. Now how can you control a headstrong daddy, mannie?I asked him about it , telling him that I was able to get my posts down to three hundred words so why could he not do so also.

He replied, laconically, that he was a senior who could do exactly as he pleased because the worst thing that anybody could do to him now was upbraid him in court--the judges nowadays would only pity him at his age and would never send him to jail.

Tell you what though. Just keep your shorts posted ........and I'll work on it.

And, forby, keep up the good work on your match previews at which ,I regret to say, you are uncharacteristically

interesting and informative. And less instructional and dogmatic.

:lol:

And as for any 'racist' abuse to Lionel, what a load of tosh. He was booed because he was rubbish not becasue he was black. He would have been booed in the last county game no matter if he was white, black, green whatever but some people are so touchy and think you cant boo or give any stick to someone if they are black. Some people really need to get a life, who actually complained over this?

Again on sunday lets get as many people as possible singing the usual county songs and not a thing will happen if a lot of people join in. Its only if there are one or two people singing it that they will then go and pick on the smallest kid in the group.

And as for any 'racist' abuse to Lionel, what a load of tosh. He was booed because he was rubbish not becasue he was black. He would have been booed in the last county game no matter if he was white, black, green whatever but some people are so touchy and think you cant boo or give any stick to someone if they are black. Some people really need to get a life, who actually complained over this?

Again on sunday lets get as many people as possible singing the usual county songs and not a thing will happen if a lot of people join in. Its only if there are one or two people singing it that they will then go and pick on the smallest kid in the group.

I kinda think that section G is to be targeted no matter what the other parts of the grounds sing/shout.

I sit in section G and was one of the first to get the "rant" and the way in which the stewards dealt with it was awful, it was the younger people in section G who were targeted. Which infact is ageism as the older members who sit on the same row as me were not given the chat. There's a serious case to be taken up as the warning that we would arrested for racism doesn't apply as we weren't being rascist, gypsy can be racist in a context but when referring to a large group of people who (lets be honest) aren't gypsys so cant be discriminated for it. Dont know why this whole seating thing has come about, her excuse was that we were blocking the people behind's view.

Edited by TtotheOtotheM

Is it not the case that the chants are upsetting the neighbours? as there is a large travelling community not that far from the ground.

Are you taking the p*ss? At what point does the noise generated in section G carry that far. Even with a (rare) NNW wind? By the way, it's a site, not a fixed community (kind of defeats the purpose, being travelling and all)

According to wiki

Under the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 Gypsies are defined as "persons of nomadic habit of life, whatever their race or origin, but does not include members of an organised group of travelling showmen, or persons engaged in travelling circuses, travelling together as such."

From that, I cannot see how it can be racist to call the wandering folk of Dingwall the G word.

Although you could argue that C*unty are a travelling circus.

Travelling people do now have an official 'race' So direct abuse could be seen as racist

Guess we just need to stick to "dirty thieving barstewards" then.

Although this obviously stigmatises people who cannot afford a washing machine.

So we're stuck with

"Who put the O and the Y in C*unty?

Those charming and sensitive fellows from over the bridge."

Travelling people do now have an official 'race' So direct abuse could be seen as racist

But LG, surely the whole point is, few, if any County supporters are actually gypsies,its just generic banter,for officials of the club to get involved in discussions and talk of bannings is absurd in the extreme.To the best of my knowledge most ICT supporters i ken haven't actually had any liasons wi sheep so shouldn't get to upset at the songs,in turn, i'll not take being a pikey jute mink personally :lol: