FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Is Golabeck the answer?

Caley Mad In Berks

Having seen Golly twice now since his surprise return, I am not convinced he is the answer to the left back problem. He was OK at Airdrie, but I thought he was dire yesterday. At least 2 sloppy passes giving RC real goal opportunities (one hit the bar?). On top of that nearly every clearance he made was the long punt up field. I know if Lionel had turned in a shift like that, there would have been pages of condemning posts here from irate fans. Yet, hardly a word of criticism for Golly! Why so? Frankly I'd just as soon see Lionel back in the side.

I saw him at Morton and thought he was a rock in our defence....saw him on the box yesterday against County and he was the opposite. Maybe he had an off day. His passing was astray (like all of them) and he did almost cost us an equaliser. I think the jury is still out on this one. Your right about Zadi though.

No worse than the rest of them. Very poor team performance and a hollow victory IMHO. Just can't seem to get excited by a home team with one up front.........periodically :lol::lol:

Really thought we would see an attacking team when we dropped down, fecking worse than the SPL "safety first" policy from what I've seen so far this season.

IMO Golly is the answer! he is a defender.. and left footed, who else have we got, yes he does at times pull of the odd shocking pass but its not to one of there front line 6 yards from our goal mouth, he IMO clears the treat, end of story,Golly is IMO the best we've got and does the job better than what we do have.

Edited by Georgeios

I think yesterday we played our get out of jail free card. Once a again the long punt waves the rules and please practise passing, to our own players. We can argue disagree etc etc but I think all and all if we look carefully at everything there has been in my opinion little change and yesterday was a let off. Only my opinion mind.

IMO Golly is the answer! he is a defender.. and left footed, who else have we got, yes he does at times pull of the odd shocking pass but its not to one of there front line 6 yards from our goal mouth, he IMO clears the treat, end of story,Golly is IMO the best we've got and does the job better than what we do have.

Oh no? He did that twice yesterday. Did you not see the game? Anyway, if you're convinced he is the best we've got, then we do have problems. But to be fair, he is not alone. There are two or three others who are not worth their place imo, Bulvitis, Sanchez and question marks over Cox, Eagles and Proctor.

Caley Mad, not Caleymad lol, Proc did well yesterday, and to be honest I dont recall Golly ever being "At Fault for any of our goals since hes come back" Cox?? Dude you baffle me, Sanchez... Hes a striker.. the scores goals, and IIRC hes our top goal scorer.. hummmm Whats a striker ment to do playing forward on his own? Eagles as ive said time and time again isnt a finished artical yet, Ive seen him in pre seasson, ok not First div sides but he has a touch and with most of our new signings needs time and games to adjust (time that we dont have in our get up quick campain) is a good player played in the right way, yesterday he looked to have the wrong studs in all the same!!

I wasn't at the game yesterday, but one of Golly's other good points is that he's constantly shouting and rallying the team. Whereas Munro as actual captain seems to rely more on telepathy.

I agree 100% with that, and what u said roscoe23

Edited by Georgeios

Oh no? He did that twice yesterday. Did you not see the game? Anyway, if you're convinced he is the best we've got, then we do have problems. But to be fair, he is not alone. There are two or three others who are not worth their place imo, Bulvitis, Sanchez and question marks over Cox, Eagles and Proctor.

Like you said at the top of this thread you have only seen him play on 2 occassions this season, aren't you jumping the gun a bit????

Having seen Golly twice now since his surprise return, I am not convinced he is the answer to the left back problem. He was OK at Airdrie, but I thought he was dire yesterday. At least 2 sloppy passes giving RC real goal opportunities (one hit the bar?). On top of that nearly every clearance he made was the long punt up field. I know if Lionel had turned in a shift like that, there would have been pages of condemning posts here from irate fans. Yet, hardly a word of criticism for Golly! Why so? Frankly I'd just as soon see Lionel back in the side.

Absolutely right. That was the first time I saw Golly in the 2nd spell of his ICT career and have to say I wasn't particularly impressed at all. And don't know how he looked in other in the other games, but he didn't look particularly solid at all. His passing was also very wayward and when he didn't pass it, he just hopelessly punted it forward. If that had been Lionel, there would have been tons of posters on here, foaming at the mouth, baying for blood. I would also actually say, that yesterdays defence is one of the worst I have ever seen since ICT. But where's the alternative? This about the left-back position, so I'll keep it at that. I personally would rather see Roy McBain re-introduced at left back or also Graeme Shinnie. For home games though I would also strongly consider going with three across the back, but it won't happen and I doubt we'll see Golly dropped anytime soon, cause he seems to another one of Butcher's favourites.

I was surprised in the Partick and Morton away games - Golly was immense in both and lasted the extra time too. The last couple of weeks he's been a bit more like I expected when we signed him. Still miles better than Lionel though.

Like you said at the top of this thread you have only seen him play on 2 occassions this season, aren't you jumping the gun a bit????

True dat. He ws brilliant against Morton. This is a bit of a rash thread.

Well that's some endorsement of your ideas; Golly is the best we have. LDZ was called to be dropped as he was leaking goals... has Golly answer me that?

He never gave one away yesterday, but was saved by the woodwork. If he continues passing the way it was yesterday, and the way the rest fo the defence is just now, he'll be at fault for a few goals this seasons. Is he the best left back ICT have? No sure about that. A reckon Shinnie is better, as is McBain for my liking.

Well that's some endorsement of your ideas; Golly is the best we have. LDZ was called to be dropped as he was leaking goals... has Golly answer me that?

He never gave one away yesterday, but was saved by the woodwork. If he continues passing the way it was yesterday, and the way the rest fo the defence is just now, he'll be at fault for a few goals this seasons. Is he the best left back ICT have? No sure about that. A reckon Shinnie is better, as is McBain for my liking.

I must admit i've been very impressed by what i've seen of Shinnie so far although i think the experience Golly can add to the team far outweighs the potential that Shinnie has at this moment in time. Golly is still an excellent player and still has a lot to offer the team, he's only 34 for feck sake which these days isn't old for a player-especially in the 2nd tier of Scottish football, on top of that he looks far fitter now than when he left us for Dingwall. I haven't been to any away games yet this season but by all accounts he's done very well against Partick and Morton. I wish our 'fans' wouldn't be so quick to come down on players after one or two bad games and our manager a couple of months into a season with a shadow of last years squad where, lets remember-we've lost only one game so far this season.

lets remember-we've lost only one game so far this season.

I know, it really isn't that bad.

Golabek is alot more reliable than Lionel. He hasn't played for a wee while so he mayb'e needs time to build up fitness. He was a bit off yesterday but i would still rather have him at LB.

Heres how I see it, Golly is a very welcome addition to our side, his contrabution has been noticed IMO, ok he hasnt made the right pass 100% of the times but as Ive said he hasnt been responsible for any of our goals so far and I beleve he is a great LB for where we are right now, We all have bad days at the office, to me however he hasnt had a bad one, we are a first division side we do not attract the big names, and for Golly to step up and play the way he has, at his age for me he is a breath of fresh air and welcome in my team selection every week untill proven other wise! hes got a good old exsperiance head on him!! we need that with our young new team!! end off!

Lets pick holes in every player and start thread on every player we feel isnt quite good enough at our level and see how they go.

For me Golly is the right man for the job... I'd even see him with the arm band, Grant only knows Caley, Golly knows the game, our past (History) and what its like playing in the first now adays... Grant did 5 years ago.

Edited by Georgeios

No, Smarties are.

Smarties have the answer.

I think Golly is a temporary solution to our left back problem. The real solution is Shinnie. Golly should be shaping him up to be a winger eating monster.