Official - County game is OFF

strathyjags

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont see the Police shutting down Tesco Extra or the Retail Park and people travel long distances to these, could it be because they have more financial might?

Or just perhaps it may be that people need food from Tesco to survive whilst football...........? :002:

So where do you draw the line? Cinemas, Eden Court, Non food retail? The balance of probabilities from medium range forecasts is that this general weather pattern will persist for at least the next two weeks (the duration of medium range computer forecast model runs).

Edited by skifreak

In a way I sort of agree with skifreak regarding his point about people getting to shops, cinemas etc in the same weather that causes the police to recommend calling off football games. The flip side of this of course is that you are unlikely to get such a high number of people / vehicles concentrated in a similar area like you do at a football match.

I dont see the Police shutting down Tesco Extra or the Retail Park and people travel long distances to these, could it be because they have more financial might?

Or just perhaps it may be that people need food from Tesco to survive whilst football...........? :002:

So where do you draw the line? Cinemas, Eden Court, Non food retail?

Fair point,problem is, if the police advise not to travel unless essential, people have their own definition of "essential" If a football club is advised thier access is unsafe a person will be accountable for deciding not to take that advice and therefore become liable from any resulting problems.Would you be prepared to take the reponsibility in this day and age?

In a way I sort of agree with skifreak regarding his point about people getting to shops, cinemas etc in the same weather that causes the police to recommend calling off football games. The flip side of this of course is that you are unlikely to get such a high number of people / vehicles concentrated in a similar area like you do at a football match.

I've seen bigger crowds at the Tesco Retail Park over the space of say, a couple of hours, than I've seen at the TCS.

I think that has something to do with the fact that the guys who make that effoert to get to the Retail Park are under orders from the wimmin in their lives.

So where do you draw the line? Cinemas, Eden Court, Non food retail?

Fair point,problem is, if the police advise not to travel unless essential, people have their own definition of "essential" If a football club is advised thier access is unsafe a person will be accountable for deciding not to take that advice and therefore become liable from any resulting problems.Would you be prepared to take the reponsibility in this day and age?

These warnings if taken literally though would seriously impact on livelihoods for the majority of the population. The Ski Areas ignore the "only travel if absolutely essential" advice frequently or they wouldn't be in business and hundreds of ski area staff and perhaps into the thousands of staff in total including other local businesses wouldn't have work in the winter and early spring.

It is a concern to me that the Ski Areas will be targeted by this sort of thing one day because they are encouraging mass and concentrated travel on some of the most difficult and exposed roads in the country. There can be 3500 on a busy day at CairnGorm and 5000+ on a mega day at Glenshee.

I've seen bigger crowds at the Tesco Retail Park over the space of say, a couple of hours, than I've seen at the TCS.

I was going to say this. It wasn't until I came back here for Xmas that I realised just how much the lives of folk in and around Inverness revolves around Tesco.

Would you be prepared to take the reponsibility in this day and age?

Yes and I would be very clear that the clubs responsibility did not extent beyond the boundry of the TCS and the clubs ground and that it would be entirely up to individuals whether to travel or not. Also I'd think that more people are being put out by postponement, than it going ahead tomorrow?

The other thing to consider is that if this weather does indeed continue in a similar vain for the first half of Jan or even beyond, the precedent is now set, is that football off until the thaw?

Quite an interesting debate, this has become.

My initial reaction was that the police were absolutely right to advise that the game be called off, but Skillfreak has kind of won me over with his comments that, at present, no one tries to prevent skiers from getting to the ski slopes, or to retail parks for that matter.

If the pitch is playable and snow has been cleared from passageways, etc, people should be allowed to decide for themselves, whether they are prepared to battle against the elements in order to get to a game. By tomorrow, the A9 and the A96 will still be passable, and most of us would probably get to the game without too much trouble.

Anyway, the decision's been taken now.... so... too bad.

We'll just have to spend the afternoon at the Retail Park.

Edited by Johnboy

There's two major flaws in your argument skifreak....

First off, you're assuming that the fans have the sense to decide for themselves whether or not it's safe to travel and they simply don't....people will do their utmost to get to the game regardless of conditions. I've done it in the past and would likely do it again in the future.

Secondly, by pushing ahead with the game then you are expecting players and staff to make the journey regardless of conditions. That's at least 40 people on the playing side, as many again, if not more, stadium and catering staff and then you've got police, stewards and media to add into the equation. If these people take up the advice of "Only travel if it is vital" and stay at home you could end up with 3000+ fans at the stadium to see a game that gets cancelled because they simply don't have the staff to see the game go ahead.

Quite an interesting debate, this has become.

My initial reaction was that the police were absolutely right to advise that the game be called off, but Skillfreak has kind of won me over with his comments that, at present, no one tries to prevent skiers from getting to the ski slopes, or to retail parks for that matter.

Thats not really true about the ski slopes, if fact the road to the cairngorm is closed right now as they try to make it safe. This happens on a regular basis despite the Cairngorm Mountain having their own ploughs working the raod to make it safe.

As for the game being called off for safety reasons I quite agree. Although its up to people to decide whether to travel in these conditions there are always people who think they can drive in these conditions only to be proven that they can't. Its then the police who have to deal with the results.

First off, you're assuming that the fans have the sense to decide for themselves whether or not it's safe to travel and they simply don't....people will do their utmost to get to the game regardless of conditions. I've done it in the past and would likely do it again in the future.

Secondly, by pushing ahead with the game then you are expecting players and staff to make the journey regardless of conditions. That's at least 40 people on the playing side, as many again, if not more, stadium and catering staff and then you've got police, stewards and media to add into the equation. If these people take up the advice of "Only travel if it is vital" and stay at home you could end up with 3000+ fans at the stadium to see a game that gets cancelled because they simply don't have the staff to see the game go ahead.

So what's the answer.......summer football?

How bad are the roads just now? I am travelling up from Aberdeen this afternoon, was meant to be going to the game but i would rather it was off than everyone struggling to walk and drive around the stadium as that is just asking for trouble.

So what's the answer.......summer football?

No...games could be called off because its too hot and melted tar on the roads could cause accidents. Players and fans, too, could become dehydrated or suffer from sunstroke.. :002:

Can't vouch for all the roads, but listen to local radio for updates.

Around an extra foot of snow fell since yesterday afternoon and the local roads are hopeless, and with little or no gritters about then it will remain this way for another day or two. In fact the non essential routes have been rubbish for a week now. Outside my house the road has a foot of snow in the middle with tyre tracks either side.

post-33-1262352667_thumb.jpg

Edited by themann4thejob

I wasn't referring to the party . If you think putting the safety of the travelling fans first is nonsense then thats your view but spare a thought for our further flung fans that would have been travelling up the A9 and A96 in these conditions .

People need to get a grip, otherwise it's "Scotland: Closed for Winter". These fans don't have to travel, just because a game is on you don't have to go to it, it's their decision whether they wish to travel, but those that do want to go tomorrow now don't have that option. Many people have now wasted money thanks to the police.

And so, in your eyes, its ok to put the additional policemen and women, those providing the catering, the RC team and bus driver and anyone and everyone at risk because your quite happy to nip along to the stadium. Get real mun.

Link below will tell you if its advicable to travel.

http://www.nadics.org.uk/lev/index.aspx

I think it it is right to call of the game .... The roads are terrible Gringojnr is working today and he has said the roads are awful... The last i spoke to him the airport was still closed !!! I would not risk my families lives by travelling to a game in this weather.

Edited by MrsJnr

I think it is ridiculous to suggest the game should be on. The police have to be at the match, the police are busy with the snow and it would really push them to have the numbers there.

Arguing about tescos etc is also a useless arguement. Organised events are totally different, always have been always will.

All those who are so desperate for some football should arrange to meet at the Bught tomorrow for a mass fans game in the snow.....I'll bring a megaphone and do announcements/commentary :lol:

Great idea!!

I'll set up a hot pie stall.... :eat02: :005: