FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Dunfermline Thrown Out Of Cup

BA

Personally think a tad harsh. I just wonder if a fine would have been the punishment had the prize not been a possilble next round game with Celtic.

As for the OF well if they made this mistake I think the punishment would have to be the same now the precident has been set - wouldn't it ?

Do agree that life would be easier if suspension served at next competitive game but aint burocracy grand.

very harsh in my opinion given scoreline. And I would bet a few quid that had this been the old firm that had made this mistake they would still be in the cup. one rule for two teams and another for the rest of us.

Nobody is trying to argue that Dunfermline gained any advantage from the (giving the benefit of the doubt) errors made....so the score really doesn't come in to the argument, IMO.

4 tournament rules were broken by Dunfermline and the punishment reflects that.....in fact, they are lucky not to have got a fine over and above the expulsion.

Nobody is trying to argue that Dunfermline gained any advantage from the (giving the benefit of the doubt) errors made....so the score really doesn't come in to the argument, IMO.

4 tournament rules were broken by Dunfermline and the punishment reflects that.....in fact, they are lucky not to have got a fine over and above the expulsion.

You are quite right - nobody is trying to argue that Dunfermline gained any advantage

Given the score at the time it does kind of seem a bit of a harsh decision, but looking deeper, teams have to take responsibility for their actions. As do players. They can't continue to use the "we didn't mean it though" excuse. I don't think Dunfermline tried to gain an advantage but rules are rules and this has to be the case to run a credible competition.

Though I think it should be a blanket rule- Play an ineligible player and the minimum punishment is a replay. More than 1 count of playing an ineligible player should result in being thrown out of the competition.

Dunfirmline should now use this and learn from the mistake and ensure it doesnt happen again.

One thing i do agree on though is I very much doubt the Old Firm would be kicked out for something similar, however I can't see something like this happening at one of the Old Firm.

And I dont think it is the Journalists responsibility to inform the club, nor his moral obligation to do so. Clubs have emploees to check these things and if they make an error they have to take responsibility.

nothing against the Pars and I know they were way ahead when the ineligible player came on but that was only one of a litany of mistakes, any one of which would get you tossed out of a competition at the amateur level ....

1. Fielded ineligible player
  2. Submitted an inaccurate team line
  3. Altered a named substitute on the team line
  4. Did not register two outfield under-21 players.
farcical really but hey-ho, its the SFA so not entirely unexpected.

Dunfermline did not learn from Brechin, Elgin and St Mirren. It did not matter - the administrators decided a series of breached rules should be rewarded. What is the point? Dunfermline might even make money out of incompetence. That is the message being transmitted to all clubs in Scotland.

The SFA should now resolve that any club which copies all these rule transgressors including playing a ringer is fined ?5,000 (index linked) and automatically thrown out of the competition.

I dont know why the SFA didnt just make this the outcome to start with rather than wasting everyone's time and making themselves look like the incompetent idiots that they are. I dont agree with the decision as Dunfermline broke the rules and a professional football club should have all those bases covered so that these sort of things dont happen.

Just shows you can do whatever you like in Scottish football as you will just get a fine and a slap on the wrist.

Utterly farcical decision. Rules were broken and thepunishment was set. It seemed entirely fair that if you can't follow a simple rule then you get removed from the competition.

Once again the SFA have shown themselves as toothless and incompetant.

And Dunfermline will no doubt profit from this by playing the game again and getting through to face Celtic I believe.

I think the least they can do is give all gate receipts from the 1st game to Stenny because they'll make a hatful from the Celtic game.

Lets have set rules and set punishments - no appeal system. You make an error, your out (or whatever the punishment is set at) Make another error at a later date and banned for a year!

No wonder Scottish football is sometimes viewed as Mickey Mouse.