FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The Sun today

EWS

Cheers Joe, don't think I would have survived the embarrassment of going in to the local shop to by The Sun!!!

I only bought it to collect the meal for a fiver deal they have

Bill Leckie is about the only reason to read the Sun .... always has been an excellent Football journo, especially when covering smaller teams.

I would like a job with The Sun writing the "Dear Deirdre" letters... that's if I can't get employment as one of these people who seem to spend their entire lives hanging about their bedrooms in their underwear in "Deirdre"s Photo Casebook". :blink:

I think The Sun is an extremely cleverly written newspaper which has got a very strong handle indeed on the profile of its readership. :D

Bill Leckie is about the only reason to read the Sun .... always has been an excellent Football journo, especially when covering smaller teams.

I would like a job with The Sun writing the "Dear Deirdre" letters... that's if I can't get employment as one of these people who seem to spend their entire lives hanging about their bedrooms in their underwear in "Deirdre"s Photo Casebook". :D

I think The Sun is an extremely cleverly written newspaper which has got a very strong handle indeed on the profile of its readership. :D

I think your having a laugh on both counts :blink:

I would like a job with The Sun writing the "Dear Deirdre" letters... that's if I can't get employment as one of these people who seem to spend their entire lives hanging about their bedrooms in their underwear in "Deirdre"s Photo Casebook". :blink:

Now Charlie not again! you'll make the HN again :D

I think The Sun is an extremely cleverly written newspaper which has got a very strong handle indeed on the profile of its readership. :blink:

You could be right Charles but its not my particular cup of tea ... If I want the sensationalised version of any story, or to see which "celebrity" [real or false] is being built up or torn down on any given day I may have a glance at their online version but for the most part I tend to stick to the BBC, Reuters, or AP.

However, I do stand by my assertion that Bill Leckie is one of the best football journalists around even if he is a St Mirren supporter !!! I remember his piece after the "Livi 4-3 ICT" game a few years ago and it just oozed enjoyment of the actual game of football from a neutral's point of view (although I do believe he may have a soft spot for us from the way he writes). Not for him the prawn sandwiches or hob nobbing with the suits, I always get the feeling from articles or indeed from his book that he far prefers to be on the terracing with the rest of us plebs or reporting from some small intimate ground that is all about grass roots football.

Some of the other "top" reporters from newspapers or indeed from Radio Scotland could do with this kind of education from time to time IMHO. Messrs Young and Traynor for example would go into cardiac arrest if you took them away from Ibrox or Parkhead and the same would be true of a few others as well. I know its only banter but when Robbo winds up chick on OAM most weekends about coming north you can literally feel his face getting flushed with worry that he might have to leave his comfort zone .... even the promise of a couple of Jessie's cakes/scones wont tempt him up the A9.

However, I do stand by my assertion that Bill Leckie is one of the best football journalists around

Agreed absolutely and it's a talent that embraces the entire spectrum of the game, in addition to his weekly more topical affairs article in the news pages. In fact I would love if Bill could come and do something at Clach Park in the dying weeks of what we hope will not be the last season of Highland League football in Inverness.

I agree that The Sun would not be everybody's cup of tea but it is very well written in a way which resonates with and grabs the interest of its core readership which, in general, may not be the most cerebral in our midst but still need to be served. That is probably why it sells so well and indeed in Scotland, as far as I am aware, it continues to outsell The Record.

Please ignore Kidger's nebulous reference to a Highland News story which I once instigated of a female cleaner at the Sports Centre who insisted on entering changing rooms irrespective of which gender was in occupation. :D

Les... when I call in at One Stop to collect my daughter's Rod Stewart tickets tomorrow, perhaps if you could arrange to be there this time rather than sitting drinking coffee in the Media Room at the Caledonian Stadium. :blink: :D :D

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Does this mean that Bill Leckie is coming up to keep Charles company.

I certainly hope so as I enjoy reading his reports on the smaller games. (i.e. teams from outside the OF)

PS: The Sun is also the only paper that I have seen that gives the TV listings for BBC Alba which puts the supposed voice of the North P&J to shame. I have to buy an extra copy on a Saturday so that my 78 year old mother in law can see what Gaelic programs are on during the week in the Sun TV magazine.

The Sun is also the only paper that I have seen that gives the TV listings for BBC Alba which puts the supposed voice of the North P&J to shame. I have to buy an extra copy on a Saturday so that my 78 year old mother in law can see what Gaelic programs are on during the week in the Sun TV magazine.

got a printer?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcalba/programmes/schedules/