FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Who wanted him out and when?

Harry Chibber

Unfortunately, I didn't have the faith of wilsononourwing

I couldn't blame Butcher for getting us relegated and thought he made a good attempt of keeping us in the SPL but after releasing 2 of our most promising youngsters, taking on a handful of untested foreigners with 1 year contracts and only committing himself to the end of the season I was far from convinced. The point where I lost faith and thought we should look for a replacement was before the 2nd league encounter with Dundee:

Dee day for Butcher

Since then it's all gravy. Butcher signed a new contract, we haven't been beaten for 15 games, scored more goals and conceded less than any team in the division, sit top of the table and beat C*unty 3-0.

Was there a point this season where you wanted Tel to step down/leave, if so, when was it?

... or are you still not convinced??

I couldn't blame Butcher for getting us relegated and thought he made a good attempt of keeping us in the SPL but after releasing 2 of our most promising youngsters, taking on a handful of untested foreigners with 1 year contracts and only committing himself to the end of the season I was far from convinced. The point where I lost faith and thought we should look for a replacement was before the 2nd league encounter with Dundee:

Dee day for Butcher

Since then it's all gravy. Butcher signed a new contract, we haven't been beaten for 15 games, scored more goals and conceded less than any team in the division, sit top of the table and beat C*unty 3-0.

Was there a point this season where you wanted Tel to step down/leave, if so, when was it?

who were the two most promising youngsters again? I cant remember.

I didn't want him to go but i thought he may have ended up going after the 3-1 defeat to Queen of the South in October cause he fell out with some fans at full time. But credit to him he kept ploughing away and he eventually got it right, credit to the man.

Dee day for Butcher

Wood and Vigurs

I said that unless we challenged for the title, say top 3, then he should just vanish at the end of the season. I never reckoned we should sack him. I still don't think he's the answer but after 8 years of Pele I guess I'm just spoiled.

Dee day for Butcher

Wood and Vigurs

wodd couldnt hit a barn door!

vigurs was a loss, but i heard that he was lazy at training and showed up late

I urged caution and said he should be given the full season (when i really expected him to walk away at the end of it). I also maintained that relegation was not his fault but a combination of many culprits. Not gloating though, as an ICT fan its just a happy time for us all to see us come to form when it matters.

When it was mid-table I said here I wanted him to stay because I put a lot of stock in the charisma and personality of managers - O'Neill, Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho, Pele, so that swayed me, plus Brewster had none of that, and I knew that the players had no inspiration under Brew - they do now!!

It's personal for Butcher. Now ICT should be signing up the players asap. I'm a bit worried about that actually. Vultures may circle...

When it was mid-table I said here I wanted him to stay because I put a lot of stock in the charisma and personality of managers - O'Neill, Ferguson, Wenger, Mourinho, Pele, so that swayed me, plus Brewster had none of that, and I knew that the players had no inspiration under Brew - they do now!!

It's personal for Butcher. Now ICT should be signing up the players asap. I'm a bit worried about that actually. Vultures may circle...

Kiri is right again. I didn't know it at the time, but as soon as the Scotland job was lost, Terry became the manager we needed.

I didn't think we would be where we are now, and thought that they would both be off, leaving us to find a "prospect" and a few more seasons in Div1. I never called for his head, because a) the results were never as consistently bad as under Brew's losing run and :004: I had a feeling that things were going to go right; I had faith that Rooney would come good, once the pressure to persist with Barrowload had abated, that Cox, Eric and others had it, but not consistently, I knew Golly would work for us. He tried a lot of things, not all worked, but his exprimentation was rewarding. It was a sad day when he shouted at the fans, and I thought it would be downhill from there.

I hope, and it seems likely, that he will take us up. They will continue to improve as a management team, and I hope the board will back them with cash to retain and buy players.

But most of all I hope that, all going to plan, they will stick two fingers up at anyone who knocks at their door over the next few years, and let's really see some action.

As a footnote, I will admit, I had my doubts about the board and Mr. Tulloch's speil about coming up this season, especially with the lack of Xmas shopping. What did Terry do to convince them? Could it be that the board know what they are doing after all?

Are you there, IHE?

I urged caution and said he should be given the full season (when i really expected him to walk away at the end of it).

These were more or less my thoughts. In August I assumed we'd have a very mediocre season and finish fourth or fifth and though Butcher would just see out his contract. I never had any faith in us going up in thr first place and so never saw any need to call for Butcher's head around December when things weren't going particularly well.

Turns out I misjudged Terry Butcher and the players, and even if we don't make it up this season I think they've done a great job.

I never bought into the " Butcher must go" ideal and like most wanted him to at least see out his contract. I like Wilsononthewing have always Believed we would go up and. Positive is everything and one of the mods said in another thread that the SFL is a marathon and not a sprint. Well ICT have paced themselves very well and i would like to think that Butcher & Mo have had this gameplan in mind all along.

One of the biggest doubters who viewed their appointment as nothing short of a disaster. Appalling track records in the game (aside TB's spell at M'well) with the fans of the clubs been to previously having nothing nice to say about them.

Made some bizarre decisions (still maintain that dropping Ryan for the last five game at the end of the season was the final nail in the SPL coffin!) and playing some of the most boring footie I've seen.

But ....... now at the business end of the season, when it really counts, on a fantastic run supported by a "Devon Loch" like collapse by Dundee and here we are. Absolutely incredible!

Clean sheets galore, two quality strikers and a midfield that look like they can pass a ball.

Immediate step back will be a huge achievement. I stand corrected and was wrong.

Appalling track records in the game (aside TB's spell at M'well) with the fans of the clubs been to previously having nothing nice to say about them.

And that was one thing I also kept mentioning .... TB & MM the "individuals" do not seem to be as effective as TB & MM the "team" ...... I always hoped they would emulate some of the good (some might even say remarkable under the circumstances) work they did as a management team at Motherwell and kept pointing out that the other "failures" were [A] Not in Scotland where they did well together and When they were working as individuals rather than as a team.

Bottom line - It is good to see some people have the balls to come out on here today and say they were wrong. Fair play to you all. But lets enjoy the ride now and get behind them ALL for the final 6 game push.

Bottom line - It is good to see some people have the balls to come out on here today and say they were wrong. Fair play to you all. But lets enjoy the ride now and get behind them ALL for the final 6 game push.

I always knew he would turn out to be the best manager we've ever had, and that he would go on from here to become the best manager in the world.

Never doubted his ability for a moment....

:lol:

I didn't think his track record was as bad as it was made out. Did well at some clubs (especially Motherwell and Coventry) and not given a full season at others (I don't think a manager can be judged on any less).

That said, I didn't think he would leave voluntarily. I don't see a huge demand for his services, especially if the last thing he did was getting ICT relegated (again, it's on his record but not deserved).

But I did think his contract would not get renewed and either a more local manager, or an up'n'coming name from the SFL would step in longer term with less ambition (i.e. make sure we're stable in the First).

Need those players signed up though. Losing Vigurs was probably Butcher's biggest mistake - but he does seem to be the last one laughing (so far).

I have been a critic of Butcher this season, and to an extent I still am. I though, come from a different sway of opinion. In the beginning, when Brewster was sacked, I favoured bringing Butcher in. I felt he was the man to keep ICT up, but he wasn't.

This season, could probably described (so far) as Butcher's greatest achievement in management. ICT started off pretty poorly, but he has brought in players and brought the determination to the squad that was needed, and has made ICT the force to be reckoned with that it has become in the second half of the season. That is to his credit. Still, despite the positive record right now, there still seems to be a few elementary issues that are still the case with squad. Some of the results have been good, but the play a good chunk of the time, hasn't. Some of players still don't seems to know how pass or control a ball. This is basic stuff. Some of the players seem a bit scared to shoot and some still seem to be too keen to go for the long punt when a short pass is the best option. All this, along with problems that should of been sorted long ago, such as a cure for the (at times) very leaky defence, the failure to find a true captain, players are playing who aren't good enough in certain parts of the field (such as Odhiambo in the middle of the midfield) are still in the mindset of the powers that at ICT. I also find it quite strange that some players, namely Iain Vigurs and Roy McBain seem to have disappeared since Butcher took charge, it makes me wonder who'll be next to fall.

Overall, the record at ICT right now is fairly good, but there is still work to be done.

Edited by Renegade

I have not said a bad word about him (I think) although, I did post a WSC article about his time at Coventry which, wasn't that positive. I was behind (oh ha ha ha ha ha ha, i'm a wee cnt that sits in the North stand, wears Prada and squeals "How wide is your @rse" because my dad didn't talk to me when I was younger) Brewster as well so I think im just infatuated with authority.

post-4227-1270159319.jpg

I have been a critic of Butcher this season, and to an extent I still am. I though, come from a different sway of opinion. In the beginning, when Brewster was sacked, I favoured bringing Butcher in. I felt he was the man to keep ICT up, but he wasn't.

This season, could probably described (so far) as Butcher's greatest achievement in management. ICT started off pretty poorly, but he has brought in players and brought the determination to the squad that was needed, and has made ICT the force to be reckoned with that it has become in the second half of the season. That is to his credit. Still, despite the positive record right now, there still seems to be a few elementary issues that are still the case with squad. Some of the results have been good, but the play a good chunk of the time, hasn't. Some of players still don't seems to know how pass or control a ball. This is basic stuff. Some of the players seem a bit scared to shoot and some still seem to be too keen to go for the long punt when a short pass is the best option. All this, along with problems that should of been sorted long ago, such as a cure for the (at times) very leaky defence, the failure to find a true captain, players are playing who aren't good enough in certain parts of the field (such as Odhiambo in the middle of the midfield) are still in the mindset of the powers that at ICT. Overall, the record at ICT right now is fairly good, but there is still work to be done.

I think that's a tad harsh Renegade..... What the team may lack in basic skills they more than make up for in terms of honest endeavour and committment.

TB is entitled to take a huge slice of credit for bringing that about. He's certainly had a few ups and downs since he took the job on, and would probably admit a few mistakes were made along the road. Some weird transformation with the team seemed to kick in around mid-January - I would guess that TB layed it on the line, and told them that unless the team won promotion, their career prospects would be virtually zilch.

He may not have the most highly skilled, or individually talented players you'll ever see in a squad.... but by God, he's certainly bringing the best he can out of them now.

(oh ha ha ha ha ha ha, i'm a wee cnt that sits in the North stand, wears Prada and squeals "How wide is your @rse" because my dad didn't talk to me when I was younger)

Good assessment. That 'banter' is cringeworthy on quite an epic level.