FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Gordon Smith Resigns?

ElderBoy

This must be to do with the eejit known as George Peat hiring Henry Mcleish to write a report which came out yesterday.

Gordon Smith obviously felt something was amiss as he has allegedly resigned over this report.

Wonder what it says! :lol: I cannot stand George Peat, and he is the one needing removed, instead of geting his lackey McLeish to create a report which will no doubt absolve Peat of any blame...oh yes. Farce.

PEAT OUT!!!

The whole of Scottish football needs a revamp and if this is stage one because his "personal reasons" were that he didnt like what was in the report .... then good !!! I have no axe to grind with GS, but fail to recall any change or improvement he instigated during his tenure nor any lasting legacy he will leave as he departs (other than being a part of the team that appointed Burley, and a couple of controversies surrounding Livi)

The whole of Scottish football needs a revamp and if this is stage one because his "personal reasons" were that he didnt like what was in the report .... then good !!! I have no axe to grind with GS, but fail to recall any change or improvement he instigated during his tenure nor any lasting legacy he will leave as he departs (other than being a part of the team that appointed Burley, and a couple of controversies surrounding Livi)

I kind of agree. GS has overseen a fraction of the malaise but Peat is President, he has to be the one getting his collar felt if the report is damaging. Peat has instigated this report and you can be sure it's biased. I actually think GS did as much as he could - he and every othe rChief Executive will be hamstrung until Peat leaves - that man will not see change under his tenure. I suspect GS has had more than his fair share of run ins with Peat - and this is his revenge, to point the finger via McLeish...whatever is in that report - it is another example of Peat refusing to look at the issues, and instead finding scapegoats and employing smokescreens.

I thought he was a terrific pundit (even if he was pretty shameless in his MoM always being one his clients). Most of the ideas he spouted as a pundit, he was unable to push through as SFA boss. I suspect if he was given more power, we would have seen summer football, bigger leagues and more streamlined finances. I would be more in favour of promotion rather than resignation.

Smith's departure is great news.

His handling of the national team from Burley's appointment to Burley's departure and all in between was shambolic.

My only fear is that having tried one media idiot, the SFA will now move to appoint Archie MacPherson to the role!!

Goodbye Gordon. I have no doubt that punters the length and breadth of our nation will be waxing lyrically about your huge contribution to our game for many years to come. My arse!

Im sorry, im usually quite reserved, but i'm not sure where the rational heads of these posters have gone...

Gordon Smith has been Chief Exec for a mere three years. Any problems have been from far beyond then. Whether or not you regrd the man as unscrupulous agent/annoying pundit (i dont i think he is ok) he fact remains that by putting the blame on Gordon Smith for decades of ills despite the fact he has only been Chief Exec three years means you are playing straight into the hands of Peat.

Ask these questions:

Why did Peat instigate this report despite being at the SFA far longer than Smith

Who was asked to write the report? McLeish. Why?

What really is wrong with Scottish Football? Is it GS 100%

Scottish Football is in the mire because of people like Peat..GS is probably as frustrated as us...Peat is an abomination. Just because GS has his noggin on the gogglebox, doesnt mean he's culpable. Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil. Hear no peat, see not Peat, speak no Peat.

GS is the fallguy, the sap, the proxy, the puppet, the scapegoat. Until we aim a bit higher, and a bit more radical, the malaise continues.

Perhaps GS wants a 16-team league and Peat doesn't...

(edited for last sentence)

Peat Out !!!

Edited by Kirishima

Im sorry, im usually quite reserved, but i'm not sure where the rational heads of these posters have gone...

Gordon Smith has been Chief Exec for a mere three years. Any problems have been from far beyond then. Whether or not you regrd the man as unscrupulous agent/annoying pundit (i dont i think he is ok) he fact remains that by putting the blame on Gordon Smith for decades of ills despite the fact he has only been Chief Exec three years means you are playing straight into the hands of Peat.

Ask these questions:

Why did Peat instigate this report despite being at the SFA far longer than Smith

Who was asked to write the report? McLeish. Why?

What really is wrong with Scottish Football? Is it GS 100%

Scottish Football is in the mire because of people like Peat..GS is probably as frustrated as us...Peat is an abomination. Just because GS has his noggin on the gogglebox, doesnt mean he's culpable. Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil. Hear no peat, see not Peat, speak no Peat.

GS is the fallguy, the sap, the proxy, the puppet, the scapegoat. Until we aim a bit higher, and a bit more radical, the malaise continues.

Perhaps GS wants a 16-team league and Peat doesn't...

(edited for last sentence)

Peat Out !!!

Gordon Smith was only a puppet because he let himself be one...

I don't think anyone hates the guy but for him to be the head honcho of Scottish Football just reflected badly on Scottish football. We need someone with strong character... not a "puppet" that overturned almost every decision he made... even if he was wrong in the first place he had to stick by his decisions or it just shows weakness

I agree with you HC. But people will only see GS resigning, this report will be buried, and nothing will change. That's the problem, the old buzzards sitting in the SFA, not GS.

If people want a scapegoat, they've been given one...by George Peat and Henry McLeish (ok when he called John Reid a "patronising b*s***d" on mic)

I suspect the SFA in this report have put the blame on GS despite being culpable for decades of mismanagement. Cover up, smokescreen, red herring, white elephant, whatever...but this report is biased.

Will make interesting reading.

Decent article here about Smith's wishes and how they were all derailed.

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Gordon-...were.6238335.jp

I'm in favour of every one. I look forward to GS telling his side of the story.

Agree 100%. Upon reading this report by McLeish, GS resigned. Its all speculation at the moment, but as its been labelled a "damning indictment" one can only assume that McLeish has pointed the finger at the wrong people/places, perhaps even at GS.

Peat has manufactured this entire scenario, and probably edited McLeish's final draft for him. Transparency? Fairness? Change? Not in Peat's name. GS stood for change, Peat stands for the old boys. Thankfully the Scotsman alludes to this.

Peat out !!!

Edited by Kirishima

The major problem with Smith is he's more concerned with trying to improve football as a game than sort out the problems internally. We need someone who's one and only concern is the good of scottish football and technological improvements aren't going to improve the standard on the park (unless we start using football playing cyborgs)... the Summer season league was a non starter because we would be screwed if we ever make it to a International competition

The major problem with Smith is he's more concerned with trying to improve football as a game than sort out the problems internally. We need someone who's one and only concern is the good of scottish football and technological improvements aren't going to improve the standard on the park (unless we start using football playing cyborgs)... the Summer season league was a non starter because we would be screwed if we ever make it to a International competition

HC, all good points...but if Scottish Football is at stake, do you really think GS is where the problem is? Is he a man that resists change generally? No. He did try and instigate summer football. The problem is its SFA v SPL...both organisations are on less than friendly terms, and pull in opposite directions...but i got the feeling they were getting closer because GS was more approachable than Julius Peat was. Now, it's done in.

Peat thinks he's hoodwinked everyone with this report...but people will see through this. I am very much eager to find a copy of this report/propaganda

His campaign to stamp out diving was farcical , his silence on the diving antics of the O.F. players was deafening . Glad he's gone .

And what of Peat? GS is gone, yes, and then what? GS had three years...3. What he tried to do was ignored or mothballed. GS is the fall guy. As Craig Brown said, in all his time, and working under three other Chief Execs, GS was the most inspired appointment...Craig Brown is a man most listen to.

Agree 100%. Upon reading this report by McLeish, GS resigned. Its all speculation at the moment, but as its been labelled a "damning indictment" one can only assume that McLeish has pointed the finger at the wrong people/places, perhaps even at GS.

Peat has manufactured this entire scenario, and probably edited McLeish's final draft for him. Transparency? Fairness? Change? Not in Peat's name. GS stood for change, Peat stands for the old boys. Thankfully the Scotsman alludes to this.

Peat out !!!

Just so I'm clear.. I'm not sticking up for Peat.

He's just as much of a t!tt in my eyes... the way he pointed out Owelumo as the person we should blame for not qualifying was shameless.

Yep, it's clear HC, and the only time he gets involved is to throw around criticism from up on high. The scary thing is, he has commissioned this report to keep the heat off him and his buddies. He reckons people will be happy with the sacrificial lamb of GS.

Society generally needs a figure of blame. Look at all the furore around social work - Sharon Shoesmith sacked - maybe she wasn't perfect, but she sure does come in handy so that we all don't have to shoulder any of the blame. We scapegoat as a natural reaction.

Scottish Football is in the state it is because we (society in general, there are some who do amazing work) let developers build on parks, allow councils to put "No ball games" signs up, allow our kids to watch DVDs or play video games for 10 hours a day, dont volunteer or assist in community leagues, dont spend time with kids outside, tie ourselves up in red tape, stuff kids with junk food, give them awful role models...

As long as GS is to blame everything is ok, everything is ok, everything is ok, everything is ok....

How do the Swedes get round it?

And the Russians ?

And the Russians ?

Their domestic leagues suffer everytime there is an international competition or qualification.

The russian league isn't bad but the Swedish league is very poor...

I think the most important thing is trying to and maintain/improve the standard of the league and if we changed to a summer league all the best players in the division would be missing everytime international week comes around, which jeopardizes the validity of the competition. Could you imagine if we were in a summer league when Niculae was selected for Romania?? we'd have spent a fortune on wages and he would miss 2 months of the season

I think we should be looking at a winter break again, starting the league earlier and finishing later so we can get the best out of the weather.