FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Butcher and the Board

Yngwie

There was a long interview with Terry in the Sunday Times. Rather annoyingly much of it is him being asked about Neil Lennon's managerial credentials and challenges, but there is an interesting section regarding the award of his new contract which I don't recall being publicised anywhere else. Unfortunately the ST website is subscription now so i can't post a link, but I'll type some of the relevant bits.

"George Fraser is the best chairman I have worked for. John Boyle was fantastic at Motherwell but George is sensational."

In March, he told Fraser it was decision time. "March was going to be a make or break month for our season, we were playing a lot of catch up games because of the weather," explains Butcher. "So I said to the Chairman, 'If you want to get somebody else in, fine, let's call it quits'. I wasn't calling their bluff or anything like that. It was just if they wanted to move forward with somebody else, that was the time to do it. Dundee were still miles ahead and overwhelming favourites. The Board went 'Fine, here's a contract, we wan't you and Maurice to stay'"

As ever, Butcher comes across well, and is positive and optimistic about the coming season.

There was a long interview with Terry in the Sunday Times. Rather annoyingly much of it is him being asked about Neil Lennon's managerial credentials and challenges, but there is an interesting section regarding the award of his new contract which I don't recall being publicised anywhere else. Unfortunately the ST website is subscription now so i can't post a link, but I'll type some of the relevant bits.

"George Fraser is the best chairman I have worked for. John Boyle was fantastic at Motherwell but George is sensational."

In March, he told Fraser it was decision time. "March was going to be a make or break month for our season, we were playing a lot of catch up games because of the weather," explains Butcher. "So I said to the Chairman, 'If you want to get somebody else in, fine, let's call it quits'. I wasn't calling their bluff or anything like that. It was just if they wanted to move forward with somebody else, that was the time to do it. Dundee were still miles ahead and overwhelming favourites. The Board went 'Fine, here's a contract, we wan't you and Maurice to stay'"

As ever, Butcher comes across well, and is positive and optimistic about the coming season.

Quite an endorsement for Fraser and the Board too. Nice to hear after all the stick they get most of the time.

Considering most other Chairmen sacked him, I guess John Boyle and GF would be top of his Christmas Card list !!!

However, it is good to hear that he enjoys working for our board and credit to them for securing him and MM on new contracts without any major fuss. I believe that the TB 'brand' is a very important factor in bringing some of our current players to the club, or retaining others when we went down (eg. Foran who has been very loyal to TB over the years). It may have been years ago but being the England and Rangers captain, and between him and MM, winning many caps for their countries, as well as a media profile for TB, doesnt hurt when it comes to cracking that geographical nut that almost all of our former managers have complained of.

I read the article too. TB has never been anything but positive about this club, the supporters or the area. He is a pure gentleman and we are incredibly lucky to have him with us.:notworthy:

Fer fecks sake - if George Fraser had taken up TB's offer he would have been a feckin prize muppet. They would have been blown apart by the fan reaction. George and the Muppets are good employers cos TB is firmly in control - and i suspect that the gentleman knows he is, which side is bread is buttered on and is palying the thankful employee game. At least we have the muppets exactly where we want them.

• Disagree 4

Fer fecks sake - if George Fraser had taken up TB's offer he would have been a feckin prize muppet. They would have been blown apart by the fan reaction. George and the Muppets are good employers cos TB is firmly in control - and i suspect that the gentleman knows he is, which side is bread is buttered on and is palying the thankful employee game. At least we have the muppets exactly where we want them.

Thought he would have been dealing with the DoF and not directly with the chairman!