FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Banning Orders - the Noose Tightens...

maimie

• 1 month later...

Maime, further to oor dicussion on Friday this bit from an Airdrie supporter at Dens yesterday,i fear i may have been a bit naive thinking the polis would be even handed and only use these against "nutters"

'Before I go on I would like to point out that I have never been in trouble with the police in my life and travelled to Dundee in my car with my son and was stone cold sober.

After being body searched as I approached the turnstile. I was stopped by a police officer and asked to give my name to him. I refused and asked why. He told me something about a banning order and believed that I was the person who had such an order . He kept asking me for my name and I insisted that I didn't think I legally had to give my name to him. The next thing I know around four police officers surround me and one of them says to the officer who appeared to be in charge " I think it is him". Still they asked for my name , still i refused . Then I was told that they had the right to refuse me entry to the Stadium because I would not give my name. I felt under pressure and intimidated and gave in and said " If it means I will gain entry to the match I will give you my name." After giving my name I was then asked If I had proof of my identity. Just by chance the only means of identification I had was my cash line card. after inspecting it they let me in. I believe that if I didn't have my card with me I would have been refused entry. I didn't end there though.

All through the first half me and my son felt as if we were being watched by the Police. In-fact it became obvious that they were. Then after 30minutes or so two police officers came up the stairs and sat directly behind me. The next thing I know I receive a tap on the shoulder by the officer who had spoken to me earlier said that he was unsure that I was who I said I was and asked me to to go down to the foyer beneath the stand so as he could speak to me.

I was asked to take my jacket and shirt off to see if I had any tattoos. He then pressured me into giving him my full address and DOB and asked where I was born.

I was absolutely livid with anger by this time. I would like to thank everyone who came down to the foyer to express their disgust with the police at the situation.

After giving my details and showing them that I had no tattoo's I was told to go back to my seat and enjoy the rest of the game.

After this incident I had no interest in the game and felt like leaving and going home.

I believe what happened to me was an absolute disgrace. I don't know if its worth sending an official complaint to Tayside Police and if their harassment is illegal or not . As I already stated I will be seeking advice on this matter.'

It has been posted on other message boards that away supporters of many clubs are now being videod by the police - in some instances quite openly.

I think we all understand the need to get rid of some kinds of supporters from the game but I believe that some things are being taken too far.

I think I'll do a wee bit research on what to do if something like what happened to the Airdrie fan happens to one of us.  I'm sure I've seen something some where....  One thing I guess we shouldn't do is inflame any situation but it may be useful for fans to know what they can and cannot do when challenged by stewards or police...

Guest Sandy Cromarty

As I've said before there are special; football units within most police forces though as yet I'm unsure about Northern, but for sure they will have been in contact with Strathclyde with regards to their policy. How it works, as I've mentioned before, the ground is constantly video monitored from a central command room and depending on the size of the crowd there might be as many six police and civilains on the monitors, once a hot spot is identied strategically placed police move in and will evict, no warning or attempt to placate will take place and it is always ' You Out'!!!, as the person is being led away the officers on either side will briefly stop on the stairs and ensure that evictee's face is up and full on, at this time a still clear picture is taken of the evictee, and then they carry on.

If the evictee was a home supporter then at the next home game and during the police briefing pre match all photos of evictee's are distributed, if the evictee was an away supporter then his photo is electronically sent to the Force at his home ground and also to the Force where his team is playing on away days, thats how it works and might explain what happened to the chap mentioned above, in the interests of safety and post hillsborough no police force will take any risk whatsoever.

I suppose the theory is pretty sound, if not the practice. Pretty ironic you mention Hillsborough though, as it's pretty widespread opinion that Hillsborough would never have happened if it wasn't for the police.

Guest Sandy Cromarty

Where's the irony? without putting blame anywhere I merely pointed out in my last sentence that the police, post Hillsborough, will not take risks with crowd safety, I thought that their reasons were self explanatory.

The days of taunting opposition fans are over sadly, you all saw what happened to those young Celtic fans a couple of weeks ago, now I don't know how much pressure Strathclyde police will put on Celtics security chief but it could be that those lads may be be facing a ground ban for some time. For me I didn't think they were too bad and probably they just warranted a warning but now it's zero tolerance and bingo yer oot!!

Makes you wonder where the game is going and is all the expense worth it just to get some sheit slung at you, I got an abusive screaming mouthful from a traffic warden before the game on saturday, ' You go where we feckin tell you' was part of it, do I really need that? to be treated like scum because I follow football when all I asked politely was to drive past the stadium, would he have behaved like that to me if it had been in Church street, naw is the answer, put on colours and you are treated like trash.

Great to have the team in the SPL but it hasn't been easy at times for us fans, remember all that eviction carry on at Tannadice for standing and yet all the DU fans across from us were on their feet, they even tried to evict the woman with two young girls.

I see on the ICT site that Naelifts harks back to the lower division days, I really understand where he is coming from, the shine's off the sheit for sure.

• 3 weeks later...