FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Panic button pushed

Doofer

We have now lost Hayes, Tansey, Tade, Tokely etc, which in my mind are 4 of our best or most experience players. Before the end of last season when TB got rid of Munro and Duncan, he said he wanted to rebuild the squad with younger players to push on towards the top 6. Now at the end of this season, we are losing all our players again so yet again we are going to have a mismash team that have not fluidity, unity, dont know how to play together and wont have enought time to get used to each other before the start of the season. I really hope TB can prove everyone on here wrong and pull of some gems of signings but i have serious doubts. This season is make or break

• Agree 3

Oh, great... yet another boring and negative thread.

That's the beauty of forums people get to post their thoughts even if they don't meet your expectations. Here's a thought for you if you don't like someone's thread rather than just be rude why don't you ignore it. Or will we just fill the forum with Butcher is wonderful threads to keep you happy?

• Agree 4

Here's a thought for you if you don't like someone's thread rather than just be rude why don't you ignore it

I presume the same can be said for other peoples' posts on threads also :wink: [inserts well known Derek and Clive comment]

• Agree 4

This thread was never meant as negative but as showing concern. I am forever the optimist ( if my predictions in the prediction league were correct we would finish 3rd every year i should think). I know there is a couple of months until the season starts so plenty of time to get in new players but this is kind of my point. Last season TB said he wanted to build a squad, which he did by bringing in Tade, Tansey Shinnie etc but now he;s not consolidating the team with a few new players to strengthen key areas, he is building a team from stratch again. I'm not blaming TB as some players have left for personal reasons or the lure of european competition. Its just frustrating to see the same "rebuilding" happening every season. TB has brought is amazing signings before and i am sure he will do it again, hopefully in time so the lads can get used to playing together before the season starts

Positive spin - we have a nucleus of good young players who will only get better in the SPL. Aaron Doran and Andy Shinnie will be fit this season, younger guys like Graeme Shinnie, Nick Ross, Shane Sutherland and Josh Meekings have another year of experience. Butcher signed the core of the side who won promotion and did so well in 2009, he can be relied on to bring in a good standard of player from England. Tokely was over the hill anyway, if it wasn't for his history no-one would care about him leaving.

Negative spin - We have stripped the heart out of our squad. The big personalities, the leaders have gone and we are left with the chaff. Butcher's signings last season were dire and we are getting more Dan Stratfords than Johnnty Hayes'. With the budget cuts we're certain to go down.

As I've mentioned many many times before, we do not have the income to support large contracts and we will never be in a postion to sign the Hayes' or Black's of this world. We will forever be the shadows of teams more flush than we are. We should also not blame any players for wanting to leave and join other clubs, be it to improve their careers or, probably more importantly (re Hayes) for a higher wage. If we can only offer 12 month contracts and, in a few cases, 24 month contracts then will always be shipping out players and bringing in others. At SPL level I firmly believe that we will never have a settled team. Its the nature of the beast I'm affraid. TB will bring in new players but whether they will gel in time for the start of the season remains to be seen. 2012/13 will be another tough season and another relegation battle is most definately on the cards. Hope I'm wrong mind...but I seriuosly don't think I am.

Im not at the panic button pushing stage yet but I do have a strong feeling of apprehension for next season.

ICT are a team that in the past have trived on team spirit, work ethic and continuity whereby we have never really had to replace huge chunks of the squad each summer. Our transfer dealings in the past have usually been replacing a few players in the Summer with some being signed by bigger clubs and some being released or retiring. The last two seasons have seen pretty substantial overhauls of the playing staff and I personally think it is this which brings so much negativity and panic out in fans. With settled teams you know roughly what you are going to get, with newly assembled teams there is a big fear of the unknown. Historically ICT have been a team that has relied on team spirit and work ethic to survive and battle through the divisions, with new players and especially young or foregin players who know nothing of the highlands or indeed the SPL team spirit and an understanding of Scottish football will take time and its something that 1 year deals do not encourage.

Butcher has brought a different way of dealing in the transfer market and it brings a great deal of uncertainty with it. Will the players adjust to the SPL? Will they blend well with the existing players? Do they have the required mental/physical skills to play in the SPL? Will they accept a deal with another team after 6 months? Will they play well to the tactics we use? Will they adapt to the Highlands? Will they cope without a nandos on town?

I realise Butcher must be under a great deal of pressure to assemble a squad capable of surviving in the SPL and i certainly dont envy his task however whether his approach is the correct one then only time will tell.

I dont buy into the train of thought that because we have very tight budgetary constraints that we cannot sign players on more than 12 months contracts. I have made my issues clear regarding 12 month contract well known but if clubs like ours in the SPL can offer longer contracts then why cant we. There are three leagues below us in Scotland in terms of hierarchy and indeed budget. Are those who say we cannot afford 2/3 year contracts trying to tell me that no club with less budget can sign their players on 2 or 3 year deals?

Something that has possibly made fans even more worried this season is that if you were to compare the fortunes of St Johnstone and ICT last season then they have done massively better than us on what is rumoured to be a similar or slightly lower budget than us. Is it down to injuries? Luck? Poor tactics? Poor signings? Who knows!

I for one am willing to give Tel a chance to assemble a squad this summer in the hope of a good season. By renewing my season ticket for next season i have shown my faith that we can have a better season than last however this season is make or break for me. Last season was really hard going at times and if things do not improve then i shall seriously reconsider renewing my season ticket for the season after. I shall never stop supporting ICT but whether that will be in the form of season tickets or picking and choosing which games to attend i do not know.

• Agree 1

I don't think there's a need for a panic button yet. We haven't even started pre-season. No doubt the management are looking at various players at the moment. Once the team are assembled and start the campaign then we can see if a panic buttton needs pushed. For now, we'll just have to wait and see.

• Agree 1

Positive spin - we have a nucleus of good young players who will only get better in the SPL. Aaron Doran and Andy Shinnie will be fit this season, younger guys like Graeme Shinnie, Nick Ross, Shane Sutherland and Josh Meekings have another year of experience. Butcher signed the core of the side who won promotion and did so well in 2009, he can be relied on to bring in a good standard of player from England. Tokely was over the hill anyway, if it wasn't for his history no-one would care about him leaving.

Negative spin - We have stripped the heart out of our squad. The big personalities, the leaders have gone and we are left with the chaff. Butcher's signings last season were dire and we are getting more Dan Stratfords than Johnnty Hayes'. With the budget cuts we're certain to go down.

Now that is what you refer to as "middle ground" - I would add Gavin Morrison and even McKay to the plus column and the continued presence of Esson and Foran from the overall experience perspective. However it should be construed that most of the departures must have been "suspected" well before the end of last season and contingency plans set in motion.

To the minus column I would add that we really need an experienced head at the back and a scoring forward but where do we get them form and how do we finance any contract - without that we will do well to survive. The other concern is evidently the tactical approach. If there are contingency plans they are not apparent.

Prospective signings,..................tactical plans ?..............Tell the world! ????????

Really!........... they should be divulged and broadcast for all to see ?............ come on Guys think about it............. have some patience and a bit more faith!

It is nowhere near time to even think about panic...........It is time to play the waiting game, enjoy the suspense and enjoy a feeling of anticipation NOT apprehension.

I maybe had a panic attack after very 1st game getting beat 3-0 by Livingston.

Panic soon over when Golabeck scored to beat Dunfermline next game! Pretty calm since then really.

I think Rangers, Hearts, Hibs,even Aberdeen & County will be panic stricken before we are

I tend to agree with the loss of 'team' spirit or loss of ICT spirit as a factor for next year.

Look at Aberdeen who have more money, a higher SPL profile and I would submit, looking at last year a much better quality of player than we had, yet their fighting team spirit was never evident.

I think this will always be the case when signing players on short term contracts/loans - 'here for the beer' comes to mind - UNLESS a manager can manage and mould, even a rag tag group of players into a team.

That will be the managers job at ICT whoever he may be in this new footballing age.

Our hope is that our current managers profile, especially in England, will land us some players who would not otherwise travel to this far off corner of GB and play for what they can only consider a bottom(ish) SPL league team but ICT better look out when he is traded in by malcontents for a Munro/ Rossco combo, as the new management team, attracting players from Huntly and Speyside if we are lucky.

Oh but we are in a position to sign the Ian Black's of this world, just you wait and see

Wait and see what exactly?

Courier article of 8th June? Though the position would depend on his value of his worth, ICT's abiity, or even willingness to pay it........and whether anybody else wants him.

Oh but we are in a position to sign the Ian Black's of this world, just you wait and see

Courier article of 8th June? Though the position would depend on his value of his worth, ICT's abiity, or even willingness to pay it........and whether anybody else wants him.

I believe blackie will be on everyone's wish list in Scotland this summer with the exception to Celtic. I can see him going to rangers if everything works out for them or a fairly decent English team, lower championship or high league 1.

I believe blackie will be on everyone's wish list in Scotland this summer with the exception to Celtic. I can see him going to rangers if everything works out for them or a fairly decent English team, lower championship or high league 1.

Wasn't on Heart's though, was he? Given the Courier article, doesn't look as if he has had many decent offers, else he'd not have been saying he'd consider any offer made to him by the club who couldn't afford Tokely.

I'm being mischievious here...but I really don't understand the ICT fans obsession with the past and the eternal assuming their ducklings are everybody else's swans.

I'm being mischievious here...but I really don't understand the ICT fans obsession with the past and the eternal assuming their ducklings are everybody else's swans.

Obsession with the past? Because we would take Blackie back? A man who's just picked up a Cup winners medal?

You must be Dougal at the wind up.

• Agree 2