FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Captaincy

IcyTea

Golly is our club captain, but is out of favour. Dods is deputy dog and has made is future plans known. So who should be our captain on the field and should they be given the armband now?

IMHO....Granty and Now

Yeah I'd go with that.

In this order ....

Stuart Golabek : he is still club captain after all. If Golly isnt around then ..... Barry Wilson, assuming he is still playing.

other alternatives (in order)

1. Munro - already touted as a future captain

2. Tokely - not as consistent this season but 10 years of consistency behind him.

3. Black - agree with IHE, it might mature him - just as it did with Barry Robson at United.

4. Hart - still think he can make midfield tick - was good when he appeared this season

5. Hastings - this choice might surprise some people but he has performed well.

Guest kingkojak

tokely!?!?!  yer having a laugh. 

id go for barry until he hangs his boots up.  then munro.

also, can someone please explain to me how golly is club captain when he clearly isnt good enough for the first team?

I would say give it to Rossco for the rest of this season as it's his testimonial year and it might just return that edge to his game that he seems to be missing a bit at the moment.  Then hopefully Barry Wilson will play for another season and he is definitely leading the team like a captain at the moment, so give it to him for next season and by then Granty will be ready to take the role on. 

There you go - sorted.  :001:

What does a captain actually do? Very rarely do you ever see a captain going round the players giving them what for.

Even if Dods wasn't captain there'll always be players like him, captain or not, who lead by example, and who bark the orders out. What I mean is, even if Golly was playing regularly I'd expect it to be Dods doing most of the organising, especially at the back.

IMO whoever's captain doesn't really matter.

Saying that....I'd go for Blackie for the same reasons as IHE gave.

What does a captain actually do? Very rarely do you ever see a captain going round the players giving them what for.

Even if Dods wasn't captain there'll always be players like him, captain or not, who lead by example, and who bark the orders out. What I mean is, even if Golly was playing regularly I'd expect it to be Dods doing most of the organising, especially at the back.

IMO whoever's captain doesn't really matter.

Saying that....I'd go for Blackie for the same reasons as IHE gave.

Who are you PLG??

A Captain is named in the team to be a leader on the park and help the manager motivate the team and give you a kick up the erse when necessary.  I think Dods has done a fine job of showing commitment on the park (although not too much off it).

1) Wilson seems to be the wisest of our players and certainly has the experience to lead the squad

2) Tokely certainly shows his passion for the club and certainly leads by example, playing through and injury, 300+ games etc..  

3) Munro will be a captain eventualy but at the moment he doesn't play like a leader on the park but hopefully he wil step up to the plate when Dodsy leaves

4) McBain.. I'm sure Kencar would love reading this   :016: Say what you like about him but I think he is looking more and more confident every game, covers every inch of the football ground, I have never once seen his head go down, model professional and obviously has a good relationship with Christie

Questions would be asked if Black was made captain and what example does that show to the other players... act like a tit and you will be rewarded... not a chance!! :006:

What does a captain actually do?

I'm with Chibber (and Barry Ferguson) on this one .... A captain is very important on the park, geeing up players, making sure they are in the right place and generally giving them a boot up the erse where needed. As they are also on the pitch they can not only relay the manager's comments but also see things the manager may not.

I will give you one recent example from the Barry Ferguson saga, I cant remember who said it, although I do remember it was an ex-Celtic player, (think it may have been Murdo MacLeod or someone like that on Radio Scotland) and this person said that if he were still playing, the first name they would ever have on their teamsheet was Roy Aitken. The 'Bear' was never the most skillful player in the world, but always gave 100% and his on the field leadership was legendary amongst the Celtic (and some of the Scotland) faithful. I seem to recall their Centenary season - where they won the championship - they won so many games in the last 5 minutes by keeping going for the full 90 (as they should) and many players put it down to the leadership (and growling/bellowing) of Roy Aitken. I think Souness, and maybe Terry Butcher were also in the same mould for both club and country, and in Caley Thistle terms, although we havent really had a 'bellower' both Darren Dods and Bobby Mann certainly have a presence on the park as captain.

Also, the Club Captain tends to be the 'shop steward' for the players, the liaison between management and players and one who has a big part to play when things like win bonusses and other stuff is discussed before the start of the season

I agree totally with Harry & Scotty here.... an inspirational captain can be worth his weight in gold to any team...

When I was growing up in the Glasgow area guys like John Greig (Rangers) and Billy McNeil (Celtic) were absolute legends.... God help you if weren't pulling your weight in the team when these guys were around.... Willie Miller at Aberdeen, a mere 20 odd years ago! was also a fantastic skipper..(and even a pretty good assistant referree!)

I'm not entirely convinced there is a natural successor to Darren Dods in our squad at the moment... I hope there is some truth in IHE's suggestion (for once!) that it is CC's intention to bring a quality defender of proven ability to ICT.....

I believe that there may be merit in handing the armband to Ian Black for the reasons alluded to above.

The added responsibility might just be the incentive he needs to finally grow and mature.

Are you lot having a laugh 

The captaincy of a team should be the top honour at any club for hard work and devotion to the team... and you would give it to Black because it might make him grow up:010: :010:

Black is like a spoilt wee child throwing his toys out the pram and you lot would give him the captaincy to keep him quiet for a while... he already thinks the sun shines out his erse as it is.  Robson has responded to the captaincy at United because he is 28, and has had time to come to terms with his ego.  I thought that people asking for Christie's job after the first game of the season was the most ludicrous suggestion on this forum but... Black as captain :015: :015:

must be Munro, all the best club captains have been in central defence or midfield (Miller. Souness, Bremner, Greig, McNeil etc)

Munro fits the bill consitency wise and I believe would grow into the roll

Grant Munro, but I absolutely LOVE the idea of Blackie being our captain!  :015: :015: :015: Fantastic!  :015: :015: :015:

I started laughing at the line about captaincy maturing Barry Robson, and have just stopped now.

Granty - too young/quiet

Black - too angry

Tokely - too unfit

Dods - too going to Arabs

Hastings - too one sided

Wilson - too unpredictable

The answer is Russell Duncan.