FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Seasonal greeting

Yngwie

This is by no means the first time we've had a pretty dismal run of form over the festive period. I've looked back at the last 5 season's results from the 2nd half of December into the first few days of January, and it is even worse than I expected.

We've only won 2 out of 19 games! :ohmy:

No idea why that should be the case, but New Year's Day would be a very good time to stop our seasonal generosity.

I've also looked at that, Yngwie - it is true, we tend to perform badly at this festive time of year! Could it simply be coincidence? Or are there other factors at play - even subconsciously?

The impending transfer window in January providing an unwelcome distraction?  - In August, nobody's going anywhere, they're all in-it-together up here - but in a few days, certain players may have offers in for them, don't want to get injured and perhaps are 'only' (as I say, subconsciously) operating at 80%?

However, it didn't appear that any of the guys were anything but totally committed today - It's a mystery!

But perhaps, instead of looking at the Xmas difficulties, we should look at 2014 in perspective as the curtain now falls on the year - in my opinion, our best ever year!

A first cup final and our highest ever points total in the top-six. Yes, it's finished on a low - but over the year, we really can't complain!

My 'wish list' for 2015 would be 4th place and Scottish Cup semis!

• Agree 1

Interesting to read about that. I wonder if contractual situations have something to do with it? Perhaps if we had more players tied down would we see an improvement? Alternatively maybe it's a case of too many sausages over Christmas!

Interesting to read about that. I wonder if contractual situations have something to do with it? Perhaps if we had more players tied down would we see an improvement? Alternatively maybe it's a case of too many sausages over Christmas!

More to do with heavy pitches and our one track style of play than anything else

The ball has to be played quicker to the feet if we play that style and involves getting the ball under control quicker . Better football players find that easier . We need to adapt to that when the pitches get slower

Pitches have been fine. It just seems the teams ability vanishes at this time of year. It is a mystery and every year we end up letting good gaps we had on teams vanish as well. Maybe we need to cancel their little jollies to Belfast and Newcastle for Xmas parties.