FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Replacement Striker?

us2

Nice compilation of his best goals and there are some real stunners in there.  He certainly looks like more of a replacement for Marley than Billy though.  I was also impressed with his first touch .  Of course these very brief videos can showcase highlights of a career of several years in just a few seconds.  It's hardly a complete picture and it begs the question of why he is currently a free agent.  But the boy obviously has a great talent and so well worth Yogi having a good look at him.  This weather should make him feel at home!

• Agree 1

I'm not saying we don't need a replacement striker, but I have noticed that our goals per game average is exactly 2, without Billy, which is higher than for the rest of the season!

Also, the quality of some of our recent  goals has been outstanding, Williams on Saturday , Tansey against Partick,  and Christie against Midden come immediately to mind.

I repeat, these are merely observations, not a case for not replacing Billy.

Appreciate your observation Caley Mad In Berks but where we are more obviously missing Billy is with chances around the 6 yard box (no shock I know!). There was an instance on Saturday when we were attacking the North Stand goal and a cross ball seemed to go through Marley Watkins' legs as he was running onto it. It honestly looked easier to get some sort of nick on it than nothing at all. No guarantees and mere speculation but I would have fancied Billy to put that sort of chance away.  

Why is Kink a free agent? Maybe not the answer but here's an old clip (his best game for Middlesborough) including a post-match critique of him by then manager Gordon Strachan ... A bit sensitive and didn't like the physicality in England. If that's the worst that can be said, I'm not worried and the SPL is most probably less physical than the English Championship.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3I-zNfQDbOw

• Agree 1

If Kink's in the pink then he can impress on the wing. No one will call him a dink and we'll laud his success with a drink.

If we don't give him a try then time will fly and  Maybe Ross County will buy

And then it'll be Kink the Tink and we will have lost the link.

I think! :clapoverhead:

• Agree 4

Just seen on the official Motherwell site that McDonald has signed for them - Gutted.

One man doesn't make a team and that team has lost it big time.

Of course not but he is someone who would have added a wealth of experience and talent to the squad. Motherwell have certainly gained a good striker.

Looking up to see what other fans thought of Kink and this was interesting - 

OK - I did give fair warning elsewhere! Tarmo Kink is a gobby little git who gives new meaning to the term Billy Big Bollix. He is a one trick pony - that sole trick being cutting in from the right wing and shooting from 35-40 metres with his left. Lloydy (who is hardly brain of Britain ) took about 9 minutes to suss that out the last time he played against us. He does have a fantastic shot but he lacks any pace or trickery to use it from anywhere other than 40 metres out - which I'm sure you'll agree makes it pretty redundant. It does occasionally fool the semi-pros from Godforsakenstan when he plays for Estonia but only Gordon Strachan could think it would fool any professional of Championship standard. The only shout this one is worth is a resounding "No"! 

Oh... and he's not a very nice man.

http://www.wfcforums.com/archive/index.php/t-41104.html?s=ca6bc3ad4d463697427fc082eb987da3

We often hear about the camaraderie and all that stuff, doesn't sound like our type of character if that post is correct.  Also, most of the research I've done seems to suggest that of late he's more of a winger/attacking midfielder than a striker.  I wouldn't have thought he'd be the type of player we'd be needing at this time.

Could we not have got McDonald? Instead, we might be facing him on Saturday!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31641734

Gtranted, he's been at Motherwell before, but I don't think they would be able to offer him a better contract than we could....?

ICTRoughi (page 1 of this thread) and myself (page 11) both suggested Scott MacDonald at the start of this month. This thread has virtually been defined by posters making reasonable striker suggestions only to see other clubs pick them up. Even around/before the start of the January window, Yogi was saying in the press that we should expect a bigger club to come in for McKay. I think the club was probably baiting a club to come in with some welcome money. Charles Bannerman has said elsewhere that the club budget has historically relied on periodic windfalls. This might have been viewed as another one. Consequently, right or wrong, the contingency plan must have been to "promote from within".

Gtranted, he's been at Motherwell before, but I don't think they would be able to offer him a better contract than we could....?

ICTRoughi (page 1 of this thread) and myself (page 11) both suggested Scott MacDonald at the start of this month. This thread has virtually been defined by posters making reasonable striker suggestions only to see other clubs pick them up. Even around/before the start of the January window, Yogi was saying in the press that we should expect a bigger club to come in for McKay. I think the club was probably baiting a club to come in with some welcome money. Charles Bannerman has said elsewhere that the club budget has historically relied on periodic windfalls. This might have been viewed as another one. Consequently, right or wrong, the contingency plan must have been to "promote from within".

The club would have well aware that Scott MacDonald was a free agent and I'm certain would have been given some consideration. How do you know that no approach was made to the player or his agent and that he simply didn't want to come this far North or priced himself beyond our wage structure ?

I think it's legitimate enough to be critical of the club in principle for not replacing Billy McKay but it's going a bit far to criticise for not signing a particular individual without knowing whether that person was willing to come and, if so,on what terms.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 2

The club would have well aware that Scott MacDonald was a free agent and I'm certain would have been given some consideration. How do you know that no approach was made to the player or his agent and that he simply didn't want to come this far North or priced himself beyond our wage structure ?

I think it's legitimate enough to be critical of the club in principle for not replacing Billy McKay but it's going a bit far to criticise for not signing a particular individual without knowing whether that person was willing to come and, if so,on what terms.

Not criticising really. Just saying it has become a recurring theme. To be honest,for me, frustration is finally turning to a kind of grudging acceptance that maybe it's all about a tight budget and we just have to make the best of it. I may have assumed but others seem a bit ready to assume that people just don't want to come up to Inverness. That is becoming a cop-out assumption frankly. We aren't talking about Messi. Maybe not the biggest, most lucrative club but we are competing, playing attractive football and, away from football, it is a beautiful and friendly part of the world.

^This

As much as I am gutted to see someone of the calibre of McDonald go to another club in the league also them being bottom of the league, it could be very possible that we were outpriced by wages - if I'm not mistaken McFadden's wages was funded by sponsors when he signed a couple seasons back, maybe happening here given Motherwell's current situation.

I'm trusting Yogi's judgement on this situation and hopefully the guy 'kink' if he signs may turn out to be a better deal than bringing McDonald here. You never know with football.

6 goals in SIXTY appearances at Millwall- No thanks!

I am glad we didn't sign him, a) because of above damning stat and b) he isn't getting younger.

Plus, whats wrong with "promoting from within", cif73?

Edited by Shaun

I am glad we didn't sign him, a) because of above damning stat and b) he isn't getting younger.

http://youtu.be/PM3_VaZhTd0

He addresses the Milwall situation in this video. He would have fitted in well in our dressing room in my opinion but wasn't meant to be.

McDonald has been playing deeper at Millwall.  He's not the same sort of player he wsa when he played in Scotland previously.  Also, he'll be on a decent wage and we've built our success on getting guys who weren't heralded for low prices.

Regarding promoting from within, it's fine but there needs to be framework around young players.  I don't think it's really fair to throw either Ferguson or Sutherland into the business end of an Premier league season playing up front on their own.  They need to be nurtured in, they are learning the game and developing physically.  Look at the game the other night, a very feisty, physical game - would you want a completely inexperienced 18 year old in that?

Plus, whats wrong with "promoting from within", cif73?

As a later post indicates, MacDonald was latterly playing deeper for Millwall which may throw some light on that goals ratio. Also, it's a different level. Not massively so but time will tell if McKay at Wigan has a significantly better ratio. Regarding " promoting from within", I'm delighted with the homegrown players like Christie who have broken through and established themselves. Long may it continue. However, in a season that could promise so much, I think it is expecting too much of Ferguson and Sutherland to bridge the gap (at the tough "business end" of the season) as quickly as I'd like. Moreover, Watkins, despite his tireless efforts and enthusiasm, has unfortunately shown to date that his undoubted strengths do not lie in being a clinical 6 yard box finisher. IMHO that is what we are frustratingly now lacking at a crucial, and particularly exciting juncture in our history to date.